Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-31-2010, 12:16 PM
All uptime today has been unexpected.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadin View Post
You sir, are drawing conclusions based on nothing. What doesn't surprise me is the black-and-white view you apparently have. either I work for Cryptic or I'm useless. Either STO is perfect or it shouldn't be launched.

I don't know why you think I'm defending an unfinished product. I am pointing out that there are currently no paying customers in existence for STO and that people by that logic are in no position to demand or complain. Or maybe it was the fact that I recognise the hard work being done behind the screens?

"Internet anonymity is not your express card to Dickville."
There are two men chopping down a tree, one is using an axe and one is using a herring, both are working equally hard but the man with the axe is going to succeed. ie, hard work is not enough, you need to implement common sense as well. No about your previous post, if you honestly believe that the servers will not go down like this in three days, that the magical server fairy will fix the huge problems we are encountering than i have some suggestions for decent mental helath care professional for you, delusions CAN be cured.

Now, three weeks ago Cryptic had to rush order servers to meet the demands for open beta, that mean that not only were they unprepared for open beta, but they were WAAAY underprepared for launch. Why wait until the last minute to make sure the hardware requirments were met? Were they that short on cash?

So once again here is the suggestion of the week. Have mirrored servers... when you have to apply an emergency patch, patch server 1. 2 hours later take server 2 down, do the incremental update on server 1 bring server 1 online, total downtime, 30 minutes at the most. fix server 2, bring server 2 up to date. If game programmers were held to the same standards of application programmers the world would be a better place...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-31-2010, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterma View Post
No about your previous post, if you honestly believe that the servers will not go down like this in three days, that the magical server fairy will fix the huge problems we are encountering than i have some suggestions for decent mental helath care professional for you, delusions CAN be cured.
Maybe I wasn't clear. I expect servers to be down in the coming months. What I don't expect is for servers to crash for the same reasons they're crashing now. Whatever's wrong, they are fixing it, so next time it happens it's going to be another problem. In the end servers will no longer crash at random as often as they do now. I am not expecting miracles, but I am expecting improvement.

As for the fact that Cryptic was about as poorly prepared as possible, I agree. And the solution you offered sounds good. I doubt they have the money for the stuff they need though... In this case I do fear the worst.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadin View Post
The open beta and headstart are free. If you paid money, that money went to the retailer as an insurance that you're not going to cancel your pre-order. Cryptic has not received a single dollar, euro or whatever from anyone who is playing this game right now. So you did NOT pay for the game and you did NOT pay for the headstart.

Considering this I think it's a great job that Cryptic is working hard to get the server back up all the time. That means it won't happen when the game goes live. It is only after this point that we become paying customers and have any right, even if remotely, to be disgruntled.

That right does not cover flamefests, lawsuits and emo outcries.

Also, expect downtime a lot more the coming month or so.
I paid criptic for lifetime sub, and i paid in full for my pre-order.

The fact that they are working onthe server constantly because its down only means one thing. They cant fiix what is broken so its up for a few hours at a time. Good troubleshooting is through observation. apparantly someojne or a group of folks are walking around with blinders on.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-31-2010, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterma View Post
There are two men chopping down a tree, one is using an axe and one is using a herring, both are working equally hard but the man with the axe is going to succeed. ie, hard work is not enough, you need to implement common sense as well. No about your previous post, if you honestly believe that the servers will not go down like this in three days, that the magical server fairy will fix the huge problems we are encountering than i have some suggestions for decent mental helath care professional for you, delusions CAN be cured.

Now, three weeks ago Cryptic had to rush order servers to meet the demands for open beta, that mean that not only were they unprepared for open beta, but they were WAAAY underprepared for launch. Why wait until the last minute to make sure the hardware requirments were met? Were they that short on cash?

So once again here is the suggestion of the week. Have mirrored servers... when you have to apply an emergency patch, patch server 1. 2 hours later take server 2 down, do the incremental update on server 1 bring server 1 online, total downtime, 30 minutes at the most. fix server 2, bring server 2 up to date. If game programmers were held to the same standards of application programmers the world would be a better place...
actually mirrored is the wrong technical term. Its called clustered servers and i hope they aernt trying to do geo-clustering.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
01-31-2010, 01:04 PM
The bottom line is that there is nothing we can do about it. Yes, it is clear that Cryptic was vastly unprepared for the volume of players that would be present at open beta, let alone head start. And who knows what will happen at launch. But there is still nothing we can do. You want to complain about it? Well hey, we are all in the same spot you are. We get it. You want to be useful? You can do one of two things. If you are knowledgeable enough, get a job with Cryptic and actually fix something. Or two, report any bugs you find. Other than that, shut up. Unless someone can demonstrate to me that complaining on the forums with hundreds upon hundreds of posts contributes to getting the servers back up.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadin View Post
The open beta and headstart are free. If you paid money, that money went to the retailer as an insurance that you're not going to cancel your pre-order. Cryptic has not received a single dollar, euro or whatever from anyone who is playing this game right now. So you did NOT pay for the game and you did NOT pay for the headstart.
.
I've seen this argument floating around a few times. While i'm one who understand what is going on, the previous poster is right. Headstart is part of the 'services' you are getting when purchasing the product. It is part of what I purchased. In my case, if there hadn't been a 'headstart' I most certainly would NOT have paid in advance.

This is like a company saying "buy one get one free". They may not get a cent from the second one but they still told me I would get it.

Now, if it hadn't been Cryptic who promised the access to headstart you might have had a point. But since it is, you don't.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadin View Post
I am pointing out that there are currently no paying customers in existence for STO and that people by that logic are in no position to demand or complain. ."
Not to put to fine a point but I believe you are mystaken.

1st, the obvious, life timer subscription have been purchased by many and these are sold directly by cryptic. There's probably a few 12 months subscrition as well.

2nd, a retailer HAS to purchase whatever item he wants to sells before he can sell it to you. Cryptic has already sold all those 'pre-order' game and so, once again, you are incorrect.

The only point where you are correct is that no RECURRING timeplay has been charged yet. Since headstart was included as part of the preorder deal and since lifetimer don't pay a subscription and also had headstart access your point is well... wrong...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm
I paid criptic for lifetime sub, and i paid in full for my pre-order.

The fact that they are working onthe server constantly because its down only means one thing. They cant fiix what is broken so its up for a few hours at a time. Good troubleshooting is through observation. apparantly someojne or a group of folks are walking around with blinders on.
My guess is that they know what the problem is but you can fix stuff by miracle. Say for exemple If it takes a week to fix something because you have to re-write a large chunk of software what do you do in the mean time ? Close the game? Of course not, you try to minimise the downtime.

That's pretty much what they're doing is my guess.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
01-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJ
My guess is that they know what the problem is but you can fix stuff by miracle. Say for exemple If it takes a week to fix something because you have to re-write a large chunk of software what do you do in the mean time ? Close the game? Of course not, you try to minimise the downtime.

That's pretty much what they're doing is my guess.
yes but they need to communicate. Everyone would be alittle mroe understanding if this was communicated.


BTW server down yet again. AHHGGGG
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:24 AM.