Lt. Commander
# 31
01-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt

I'm sad... because I had hope that this would be the next WOW and it's Star Trek for gosh sakes... no one would make the mistake of rolling that out wrong... or would they....
This right here is the biggest issue i see with people who complain about MMOs - WoW is NOT "normal" for MMOs, it's an anomaly. Sure, game companies look at WoW and think 'How can WE get those numbers?", but the truth is this - it ain't gonna happen.

It used to be that if you hit 100k subs, you had a runaway success. With WoW, this number was pushed upwards quite a bit - MOST of the companies out there look now at 200 - 250k as "runaway" numbers, with 35 to 75k as their "Break Even" point (Depending on their operating costs).

So honestly, unless for some reason only 10k people Sub & stick around (And even the NGE of SWG kept 10 times that number) - all they doom and nay-saying is just a waste of time.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
So then... we are all in agreement and this could have bad repurcussions on the future of this MMO. Good, glad to hear you agree with my original thesis.
Don't put words in my mouth. I completely disagree with your reasoning and delivery. If the community has to suffer the loss of a few malcontents I think it will be for the better. If you aren't happy, vote with your feet and your wallet, sayonara.
Lt. Commander
# 33 Whiner
01-31-2010, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Actually it is a good example because the vast majority of trekkies are middle age or older.

You'd expect folks of those age brackets to understand business and not act like kids in their replies.

It's very ironic that Star Trek has apparently brought out the worst in you all when Gene had a much different perspective.
I'll get you a few tissues and call your mommy. Boo hoo ...
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-31-2010, 12:21 PM
What the outages mean is that this is an MMO in its infancy. Most MMOs experience problems when they first come out. STO is no exception. I agree that they underestimated demand, but they would also be damaged if they over-invested in server capacity. How many older MMOs are experiencing financial difficulties from trying to maintain too many servers? How much does the initial surge of players drop off after the first couple of months of release? How long does it take to get a newly acquired server up to snuff?

The bottom line is that I advise friends interested in an MMO to put off playing it until it has been out for 3 months or more. By then, the initial surge has tapered off and gameplay bugs/balance issues have been mostly addressed. If you don't have the patience for lots of interrupted play, then you should not jump into a head-start or just released MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieko View Post
In all honesty the servers are performing far better than I expected. There have been only a couple of small patches, and far less periods of downtime, with far shorter durations than I have experienced in other MMO launches. Is any unexpected downtime frustrating? Of course it is. Things will smooth out over the next few days, people just have to learn to be patient.
Fortunately for developers, people like you with abysmally low expectations are commonplace in the market. Unfortunately for developers, people like you with abysmally low expectations also typically have abysmally low attention spans, and quickly move on to the next MMO. So Cryptic will get their initial investment returned along with some profit and quickly move on to the next game that they can hype up without having to worry about standards, because there are fortunately an abundance of people with abysmally low standards.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-31-2010, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Yes, your comment was helpful in retaining me as a customer of Cryptic. Please do chase away as many as your can so there really isn't enough revenue to keep the game going.

THEN we will see who is moaning... me (that decided not to subscribe) or you... the little fanboi (or whatever you elite kiddies are calling yourselves nowadays).

Silly dweeb.
How can someone chase you away from something that you've already decided has frustrated you so much you make the OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rabbit
Fortunately for developers, people like you with abysmally low expectations are commonplace in the market. Unfortunately for developers, people like you with abysmally low expectations also typically have abysmally low attention spans, and quickly move on to the next MMO. So Cryptic will get their initial investment returned along with some profit and quickly move on to the next game that they can hype up without having to worry about standards, because there are fortunately an abundance of people with abysmally low standards.
I would like to substitute the word "reasonable" in place of the words "abysmally low".
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieko View Post
Moar QQ please, my ship runs on the tears of the forum malcontents instead of antimatter. You all fuel me on.
LMAO NICE Brother

OMG the servers are down !!!!

I hear that the goverment with a team from M.I.T are on there way there now to see what could have made the servers fail. Because this has never happened in the history of MMO launches it could be a sign of a bigger problem. The president has already made this a high priorty . He said and i qoute " We need answers now to save the future of mankind" . Military units around the globe have already been recalled to provide support for this situation.

Now i know this is silly, but so is all the d a m n QQ about the servers