Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 1
01-31-2010, 02:02 PM
I do Totally agree, this shouldn't go live in the next days.

And I hope they are bot keeping all that new hardware they spoke of till 02/02/10
Lt. Commander
Devs please show your publisher other fubar game launches that ruined the game before it ever started... Conan, Warhammer , etc.. Anarchy and the grand daddy of all fubar launches.. World at war... this is where the game will be headed.. a small hard corps group that will live with the infinte delays , patches stablility issues.. (though they won't be so bad cause there won't be anywhere near as many people playing at this rate)

Have we gotten so used to bad launches that we take this crud as the norm? i would have rather they waited a month then put the game out. Or maybe a 2 MONTH OPEN BETA rather then 2 WEEKS????

I know the devs are working their butts off... trying to hold it together but this game is a month away from release not 2 days...
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidar View Post
Devs please show your publisher other fubar game launches that ruined the game before it ever started... Conan, Warhammer , etc.. Anarchy and the grand daddy of all fubar launches.. World at war... this is where the game will be headed.. a small hard corps group that will live with the infinte delays , patches stablility issues.. (though they won't be so bad cause there won't be anywhere near as many people playing at this rate)

Have we gotten so used to bad launches that we take this crud as the norm? i would have rather they waited a month then put the game out. Or maybe a 2 MONTH OPEN BETA rather then 2 WEEKS????

I know the devs are working their butts off... trying to hold it together but this game is a month away from release not 2 days...
Or - it could be headed the way of World of ******** - as that game had the EXACT SAME type of server issues due to high demand and two months later - WoW was STILL having these issues (see linked article from January 2005 - 2 months after the WoW launch):

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/581/581056p1.html

My point: You guys at Cryptic REALLY need to expand your server farm hardware base to adequately handle the demand. If it's this high with just the pre-orders, the server capacity you currently have won't handle tuesday very well IIMO. You really need to expand on your installed hardware. The situation COULD really harm this game if you don't start to address it fast.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
My point: You guys at Cryptic REALLY need to expand your server farm hardware base to adequately handle the demand. If it's this high with just the pre-orders, the server capacity you currently have won't handle tuesday very well IIMO.
I don't think "very well" fits in the category of backlash that Cryptic will experience when everyone tries to log in, and nobody can.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Or - it could be headed the way of World of ******** - as that game had the EXACT SAME type of server issues due to high demand and two months later - WoW was STILL having these issues (see linked article from January 2005 - 2 months after the WoW launch):

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/581/581056p1.html
WoW's problems at launch were nowhere near as bad as this. Yes, there was queuing, and yes, there were various bugs and crashes, but nothing on the scale of what we are seeing here. This has been the worst MMO release to date for server stability despite it being one of the most heavily instanced games on the market.

Please stop making excuses for Cryptic's appalling performance. There is no reasonable justification for the game being in this poor a state, it is an absolute disgrace.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Not that I entirely disagree with your comments on the quality control, but I'd like to pick you up on 2, not entirely small, points:

1) However much WoW's launch was good or bad is pretty irrelevant. It is currently one of, if not THE most played games on the planet. It's certainly making more money than any other game currently being played, even before you add in the royalties from merchandising and spin offs.

2) If you think the game needs another week/month/years worth of work before launch, then the choice is simple. Turn off... Come back in a a week/month/year when it's to the standard YOU want it to be. Until then, I'll keep playing, keep reporting bugs and Cryptic will keep fixing them for YOU... and everyone wins!
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Closed beta actually ran far better.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalChoedan View Post
WoW's problems at launch were nowhere near as bad as this. Yes, there was queuing, and yes, there were various bugs and crashes, but nothing on the scale of what we are seeing here. This has been the worst MMO release to date for server stability despite it being one of the most heavily instanced games on the market.

Please stop making excuses for Cryptic's appalling performance. There is no reasonable justification for the game being in this poor a state, it is an absolute disgrace.
/nod excuses are lame i understand problems occuring its expected but this...
Lt. Commander
# 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalChoedan View Post

You write the game then.
Lt. Commander
# 10
I dont think that title is strictly true....

The systems of the game as far as I can tell are intact just lagged out. The missing Bridge Officers aside everything seems to be functioning with almost no bugs. Other than the missing bridge officers which is actually a large problem but other than that one thing the game while not great, is not Beta Quality. It just needs alot more servers or a bigger galaxy to start us out in instead of everyone crowded into one newbie Sector.