Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincire View Post
We've seen an example of an A+ IP with very similar performance problems in Age of Conan when it released and look at it now. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same with the customer base here if the game continues in it's current state.
***'s problem was the game was only about 1/3rd finished, ie: they had no content past level 20 or so.

STO is in much better shape than that, although they don't have very much Klingon content except PVP which is a mistake.

STO's problem is a server design that won't scale, and/or code that won't scale to the users they have.

Clearly they need to either delay the release, take it back to beta for a month, work on it, or else open up multiple servers, at least 2-3 US ones, and 2-3 EU ones.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 01:02 PM
The same place where Guild Wars went after a month of playing to the recycle bin.
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
It won't have a subscriber base by March if they can't keep the server running.

Note to the moron: Launch isn't until Tuesday. If you actually thought buying a preorder/pre-release headstart program and actually thought it wouldn't have problems, you are indeed an obligatory moron.

Every MMO has extensive downtime the first 2 months after release. Most of us know this when we bought the game and signed up for this headstart.

I can only hope that over the next few weeks, as the servers die and are slowly improved, that the moron-base of whiny kids like you will cancel and leave the game a much better place. Do you part for humanity, save some carbon credits by using your PC to spout moronic dumbisms and go plant a tree today!
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 01:03 PM
With my foot in one of Atari's Executive's behind.. And, having 30 Corpsmen trying to pull it out at next shareholder meeting. Atari you have Trekkie's as shareholders, remember that. Be prepare to fume our anger at next shareholder meeting if things do not improve.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 01:05 PM
Quote:
***'s problem was the game was only about 1/3rd finished, ie: they had no content past level 20 or so.

STO is in much better shape than that, although they don't have very much Klingon content except PVP which is a mistake.

STO's problem is a server design that won't scale, and/or code that won't scale to the users they have.

Clearly they need to either delay the release, take it back to beta for a month, work on it, or else open up multiple servers, at least 2-3 US ones, and 2-3 EU ones.
And, you have no clue what you're talking about. Stay in school kiddo Learn what a server cluster is, how they're routed, how the token key network works that routes the data between them.

Just because you only see 1 "server" doesn't mean diddly ****. A server cluster is comprised of anywhere from 2 to 10,000 servers (google's server cluster is over 40,000 server banks tied into 1). This is the architecture this game is built upon.

And, don't get me started on code. I love it when morons try to sound smart. Code scaling? That's rich bud.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylander View Post

Note to the moron: Launch isn't until Tuesday. If you actually thought buying a preorder/pre-release headstart program and actually thought it wouldn't have problems, you are indeed an obligatory moron.

Every MMO has extensive downtime the first 2 months after release. Most of us know this when we bought the game and signed up for this headstart.

I can only hope that over the next few weeks, as the servers die and are slowly improved, that the moron-base of whiny kids like you will cancel and leave the game a much better place. Do you part for humanity, save some carbon credits by using your PC to spout moronic dumbisms and go plant a tree today!
Flame on, blind fanboi. I'm used to dealing with them. The NGE and SOE still have fanbois, proving that even a pile of excrement, if released to the internet will gather a few dozen fanbois.

I happen to like this game very much. Which is why I paid for a LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION. Have you?

I just happen to be justifiably ****ed off that it's down almost as much as it's up.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Flame on, blind fanboi. I'm used to dealing with them. The NGE and SOE still have fanbois, proving that even a pile of excrement, if released to the internet will gather a few dozen fanbois.

I happen to like this game very much. Which is why I paid for a LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION. Have you?

I just happen to be justifiably ****ed off that it's down almost as much as it's up.
I'm not a fanboi. I just live in reality. If you seriously thought a new MMO wouldn't be down more than it was up...

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Dionaea
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylander View Post
And, you have no clue what you're talking about. Stay in school kiddo Learn what a server cluster is, how they're routed, how the token key network works that routes the data between them.

Just because you only see 1 "server" doesn't mean diddly ****. A server cluster is comprised of anywhere from 2 to 10,000 servers (google's server cluster is over 40,000 server banks tied into 1). This is the architecture this game is built upon.

And, don't get me started on code. I love it when morons try to sound smart.
I happen to run servers for a living. I am a network and systems engineer and run a WAN and multiple application servers for 20 sites across the Eastern USA.

I know how servers work. Probably much better than YOU do. You design your server based on the load of the application and the number of users you expect to have. Clearly, Cryptic has failed at this, when they had no reason to, given they knew how many beta keys they gave out, and they know how many pre-orders they sold...

Maybe they should hire me?
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 01:11 PM
lol @ the people defending Cryptic from the big bad bullies...who paid them fifty dollars a pop at least.

Awwwww, how sad for them that customers are actually asking them to stay on the ball.
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
LOL

You talk like a 16yr old who took a single computer class in votech.

If you knew anything whatsoever about WANs you would know that it takes years to troubleshoot new information systems that have a userbase of 300,000+ users.

Now, given your intimate knowledge on said subject matter, enlighten me. How do you stress test an information system like this?

You know what, I'll tell you. You can't stress test it. Period, end of story. You can load test it to a certain point, like with beta testing here. But you can't get an accurate estimate of stability from a pool of users 1/100th the size expected on actual launch day. In the corporate world, we go about these things by months and months of incremental load testing and debugging while using automated error checking tools and the like. Still, MMOs are unique in the tech world and their issues don't really translate well into corporate language.

This is because MMOs route users from all over the world into 1, sometimes multiple, but usually 1 local server bank. Some games like WoW use micro clusters of "servers" to house 1 game server. This game is more like EVE which utilizes hundreds of blade servers housed in racks to cluster into a singular visible server to the end users.

The problem with these types of servers is that increased load can drain the entire cluster. So, if the login queues are slow, the cluster usually will route bandwidth from say, certain operational servers (IE, in STO the zone servers) to cover for the failing login servers.

What you get now, is somewhat laggy login coupled with extremely slow load times in the game world itself. The cluster will continue routing data until the bottleneck is resolved, or, in cases like we are experiencing, it will get worse and worse until the load limits are exceeded and things start rebooting.

Now, what causes this? I seriously doubt it is a hardware limitation as far as load is concerned. What is more likely are faulty switches or bad cabling...config problems etc. Problems like these won't crop up in beta for MMOs because beta loads simply don't tax a large information system that MMOs run on to a degree to cause degredation to this extent. This is why most MMOs in the first few days fail. There is just no way to tell if you have a bad switch or a bad blade server until it is actually switched on and used. Then, if one or two key components fail, you start getting what I described above.

Now, one more prediction from me: I am willing to bet that right now, Cryptic is still running a background debugger that is slowing the system down. Things like this are usually removed on launch day, but right now they are heuristically scanning and checking their system. It sucks for us, but in the end, processes like this will tell them where their vulnerabilities are so they can try and remedy them for launch day upcoming.