Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
01-31-2010, 01:18 PM
OP should be in all caps.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
01-31-2010, 01:18 PM
Cryptic is the victim of their own success here. They've got a hit on their hands and plainly underestimated the demand for the game.

They need to expand their server capacity ASAP.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRott View Post
i payed to play not to write.
You are actively being a part of the problem. Try being a part of the solution and offer something constructive.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
01-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega-Prime
You write the game then.
i payed to play not to write.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
01-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat84 View Post
Closed beta actually ran far better.
Hell, the bugfest that was the OB actually ran better
At least my mission progress got updated....eventually, ran 25 hostile engagements today, won every one, yet the mission counter shows 0/5
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Or - it could be headed the way of World of ******** - as that game had the EXACT SAME type of server issues due to high demand and two months later - WoW was STILL having these issues (see linked article from January 2005 - 2 months after the WoW launch):

http://www.gamespy.com/articles/581/581056p1.html
The big difference is Blizzard were open and honest about the problems and keeping the players informed. Unless you spend half your time in IRC you would not even know that the latest problems are due to software bugs rather than hardware. This is the kind of thing that should be posted offically on the forums instead.

Also WoW did not just have one server. If you hit a queue you just played on another server, which is not an option for this game.

Also read to the end of the article and you will see that Blizzard compensated everyone who lost game time by adding two free days to their accounts. This was by no means the last time they did this either. I've received about four free days because of server problems.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
01-31-2010, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalChoedan View Post
WoW's problems at launch were nowhere near as bad as this. Yes, there was queuing, and yes, there were various bugs and crashes, but nothing on the scale of what we are seeing here. This has been the worst MMO release to date for server stability despite it being one of the most heavily instanced games on the market.

Please stop making excuses for Cryptic's appalling performance. There is no reasonable justification for the game being in this poor a state, it is an absolute disgrace.

Umm wow's release was 9x worse than this. STO already has more uptime than wow did on release. In fact its more stable on uptime than wow had for a couple of months after release. Many people forget on how terrible wow's release was. And yes lots of people complained about it, and it still suffers from those problems....just not as much anymore.

To the OP. You are right this is not beta quality. Beta implies that the game is not finished, you cant complete quests, bad geometry, bad lighting, constant crashing, placeholder items, debug code on screen, ect.

The game itself is finished and polished. However either the servers cannot handle the load, or the ISP that is hosting the servers cannot handle the load. It is something Cryptic needs to fixed before official launch and I hope its resolved soon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
01-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeMaker View Post
The game itself is finished and polished. However either the servers cannot handle the load, or the ISP that is hosting the servers cannot handle the load. It is something Cryptic needs to fixed before official launch and I hope its resolved soon.
ROFLMAO!
You just have to be joking....the game is ANYTHING but finished and polished...
Bugs left and right, graphic glitches, crashes whenever it wants to...

I'm not saying any of this is unexpected or in any way worse then any other MMO launch, but you just can't get away with saying the thing is FINISHED...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
01-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erztez View Post
ROFLMAO!
You just have to be joking....the game is ANYTHING but finished and polished...
Bugs left and right, graphic glitches, crashes whenever it wants to...

I'm not saying any of this is unexpected or in any way worse then any other MMO launch, but you just can't get away with saying the thing is FINISHED...
You can use that same argument on any other game on the market right now

Halo3, Mordern Warefare 2, World of ********, Mass Effect (1 and 2), City of Hero's, Half Life, ect


Fact of the matter is that game is finished according to the dev's and marketing. In fact in order to release the game to disc...the game had to have been "finished" at least 3 or 4 months ago in order to get the build burned to disc and sent to retailers on time! Being perfect and flawless is a pipe dream at best.

Is it perfect? No....do we all want perfect game? Yes. I am not saying Cryptic is not to blame for this issue, they need to fix ALOT of stuff for good gameplay. However what they got now works....except the servers
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
01-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PancakeMaker View Post
You can use that same argument on any other game on the market right now

Halo3, Mordern Warefare 2, World of ********, Mass Effect (1 and 2), City of Hero's, Half Life, ect


Fact of the matter is that game is finished according to the dev's and marketing. In fact in order to release the game to disc...the game had to have been "finished" at least 3 or 4 months ago in order to get the build burned to disc and sent to retailers on time! Being perfect and flawless is a pipe dream at best.

Is it perfect? No....do we all want perfect game? Yes. I am not saying Cryptic is not to blame for this issue, they need to fix ALOT of stuff for good gameplay. However what they got now works....except the servers
Ehm...you did notice you named exactly 2 online games in there? One of them's crap, and the other has been running for 5 years and has 13 million players...
Yes, most of that stuff is a LOT more finished than this...at least, in ME2, your mission progress updates...
Also, MW2 isn't missing half it's content, or if it is, there's not a huge black hole where it's supposed to be.
Oh, and Halo 3 is just BAD...had to say it
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:02 AM.