Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genosaurer View Post
You can get a very nice Mk III as a quest reward for doing the space Fleet Action in Pi Canis. The quest is from Sulu.
Sweet! And where is Sulu?

Sorry...I just had to do it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 02:51 PM
You could as well go for 2 exploration rounds into the hromi cluster and grab the weapon you desire from the related vendor
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 02:51 PM
Going with phasers allows you have a wider firing arc, but you sacrifice a lot of damage potential, especially in extended fights. You can recoup some of the loss by picking up a dual phaser or dual disruptor array, which is a harder hitting variant of the beam weapons.

Cannons give you a much much smaller firing arc, but have a significantly better damage potentially, especially in the long run.

Phasers/Disruptors seem appealing at first, but keep in mind that they have a higher energy drain value, and contribute to a net loss in weapon energy production. This is workable if you start at 100+ energy, and never dip below 50 - but as you start dipping below 50, your DPS begins to drop off considerably. The longer you fight with beams, the more your energy will start to fall off. This becomes increasingly problematic the more weapon slots you open up.

I strongly suggest going Dual Heavy Cannon + Dual Cannon + Quantum Torpedo - the energy drop off is insignificant (I have a full weapons power of 111, and I almost never drop below 100), the damage is higher and more consistent, and if you pick up Cannon Rapid Fire, the potential to cut through shields is very high, allowing your Quantums to become active that much faster.

As an aside; turrets are also counted as cannons, and gain benefit from Rapid fire, and Torpedoes do not change their damage value based on Weapons power.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 02:52 PM
anyone who recommends turrets needs to learn how to play their class, turrets add such a ****-poor amount of damage that even when a beam array isnt firing half the time its still outdamaging the turret. also, Turrets cant keep a downed shield staying down if you need to rotate off your front shield to absorb a HYT strike or other crippling action against your front shield, which will be taking 95% of the damage.

edit: and your energy will never suffer a negative growth until you fire more than 4 energy weapons at a time, cannons/turrets/banks/arrays. by the time your next couple shots are ready you will have recouped the energy lost.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
I am forward facing 90% of the time - the turret is much more practical in this situation than an array. While the arrays may be more potent as I'm maneuvering and swinging around, the turret also is way more effective for shooting down torpedoes and mines, because it cuts them down all the same, with less energy investment.
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 02:57 PM
is it just me or do dual phaser banks seem weak?
maybe since im not getting/using the "beam overload" skill they seem this way...
ths i dont use them

i go for what a lot suggested here. ya just have to try things.
but at least you have a starting ground now.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiTataki View Post
I am forward facing 90% of the time - the turret is much more practical in this situation than an array. While the arrays may be more potent as I'm maneuvering and swinging around, the turret also is way more effective for shooting down torpedoes and mines, because it cuts them down all the same, with less energy investment.
Don't clarify on this one! I would like to always be able to grab the lewts at fleet actions while everybody is listening to false prophets
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiTataki View Post
turrets cant shoot down torpedos unless your talking about a HYT: plasma, and in that case anything can shoot them down. Heres a nifty trick: once you get a beam firing, it won't stop firing until its timer is up (even if you leave the firing arc).
Lt. Commander
# 19
01-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_James_of_Cadiz
is it just me or do dual phaser banks seem weak?
maybe since im not getting/using the "beam overload" skill they seem this way...
ths i dont use them

i go for what a lot suggested here. ya just have to try things.
but at least you have a starting ground now.
beam: overload completely kills your attack power for ALL energy weapons, only use it when you absolutely MUST score a kill.

edit: **** smilies

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4triX
Don't clarify on this one! I would like to always be able to grab the lewts at fleet actions while everybody is listening to false prophets
I grab first place in fleet actions all the time (at least I did before open beta wiped my character), with guess what... arrays and dual cannons and torps
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithborn

I grab first place in fleet actions all the time (at least I did before open beta wiped my character), with guess what... arrays and dual cannons and torps
God knows what you could do with a good weapon setup Oo