Lt. Commander
# 41
01-31-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagonbach
In recent history, yes. Most of the recent MMO releases have been near flawless compared to this. All major releases since LOTRO, with the exception of maybe Tabula Rasa...

Lotro - Lord of the Rings Online
*** - Age of Conan
WAR - Warhammer Online

All released without major daily downtime. Learn from others mistakes and make better games.

That's all there needs to be said.
Okay your looking at the world through rose colored glasses.

Lotro - don't know enough, so no comment
*** - where shall I begin. CS reps who cyber with players. An ENTIRE ZONE (think sector block) that if you entered it would crash the game, you couldn't log into your character until a Game Master moved you to another location, which typically would take days. BTW this zone bug was not fixed for months! DB Game Masters who would kill players in-game because they could. A lot of server crashing. Lack of Technical Support, etc. I played the game for a week and then tried to return it. Right now the disk is a frizzbe I use to play with my dog. I'm sure theres more I cut and ran pretty quick.
WAR - don't know didn't play it.
**** - lots of crashes, hours long wait times to log into the game especially in the early days.
WoW - lots of crashes, game would go down for hours or days on some servers.

STO - lots of crashes, I haven't had a problem logging in for weeks. Over all, looks pretty typical.
Lt. Commander
# 42
01-31-2010, 10:52 AM
actualy sweethearts - wow has a rolling maintenance by now. no more serverdowns on wednesday morning
Lt. Commander
# 43
01-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Falcon
Okay your looking at the world through rose colored glasses.

*** - where shall I begin. CS reps who cyber with players. An ENTIRE ZONE (think sector block) that if you entered it would crash the game, you couldn't log into your character until a Game Master moved you to another location, which typically would take days. BTW this zone bug was not fixed for months! DB Game Masters who would kill players in-game because they could. A lot of server crashing. Lack of Technical Support, etc. I played the game for a week and then tried to return it. Right now the disk is a frizzbe I use to play with my dog. I'm sure theres more I cut and ran pretty quick.
**** - lots of crashes, hours long wait times to log into the game especially in the early days.

STO - lots of crashes, I haven't had a problem logging in for weeks. Over all, looks pretty typical.
---
MAJOR DAILY DOWNTIME, server side. Not server queue times, not in-game bugs preventing game play, but multiple daily 2-3 hour server crashes. There is a huge difference.
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-31-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagonbach
In recent history, yes. Most of the recent MMO releases have been near flawless compared to this. All major releases since LOTRO, with the exception of maybe Tabula Rasa...

Lotro - Lord of the Rings Online
*** - Age of Conan
WAR - Warhammer Online

All released without major daily downtime. Learn from others mistakes and make better games.

That's all there needs to be said.
OMG what rock have you been under:

Lotro - Ill GIVE you that one.. GOOD LAUNCH

*** - DISASTER. Supposed to be DX10 and was DX9 at released.. Constant crashes with hours of downtime the first 2 weeks of launch. to this DAY DX10 has never been fully fixed in ***

**** - 4 to 15 HOUR QUEUES to get into a server the first week, and when you did , you have 4000-400,000 ping times with CONSTANT downtimes. At any given time 1/2 of the servers would be down or crashed

Wow- almost unplayable for 1-2 weeks at launch

Eq2 - was down about 8 hrs each day for 2 weeks

Eq1 - LOL down for 6 days at launch

SWG - constant crashing and downtime, then SOE turned it into an abomination, and that abomination still lives today

The only game to launch that had fewer issues than STO That I know of was LOTRO

(I can't speak for warhammer because I never played it)
Lt. Commander
# 45
01-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zish View Post
actualy sweethearts - wow has a rolling maintenance by now. no more serverdowns on wednesday morning
Besides that multihour one the other week on Tuesday morning. Well thats a lie I don't know when they are down for maintenance because typically I'm asleep, getting ready for work, or going to work during it. But I know they are down more than there not on Tuesdays.
Lt. Commander
# 46
01-31-2010, 11:00 AM

STO - long server down time once or twice a day. But the game tends to be up more than its down. Over all looks pretty typical for an MMO launch.

Fixed

I don't know what you were getting at. My buddy played wow at launch and he was telling me the game would be down longer than it was up. Considering the queue to play **** I spent several hours a day out of the game. I guess the point is, how is this any better or any worse than any other MMO that has launched in the last decade?

People make the point that technology has improved, which is true. But by that same measure technology has also become much more complex. I've said it before and I will say it again, if this was something they could just fix, why wouldn't they do that? There is no magic button.
Lt. Commander
# 47
01-31-2010, 11:16 AM
As far as im concerned, the downtime is a gd lil break from playin for like 6hrs.. I dnt think ppl realise jst how much time they invest in games sometimes

As far as i look at it too, cryptic will have looked at other MMO's and tried their best to get the best game they can and as far as im concerned they have.. and ill bet there's millions tryin to play the headstart over the world so jst have some patience and let then fix the problem, crying on here probably wont help all it does is start flame wars between the ppl who complain and ppl who dont

:EDIT: the millions is prob an over estimate, probably a good 100,000 (jst random guessing ^^)
Lt. Commander
# 48
01-31-2010, 11:28 AM
One of the things to remember is that additional hardware doesn't appear out of a replicator. The devs mentioned a week and a half ago that they were floored by the response, and they were ordering new hardware. That was mid-week. Server hardware, of the amount and power they need, is not 'stock.' So they would be lucky to get it Monday. Then they have to do burn tests and load all the software into it and then join it to the cluster -- that last is particularly nontrivial because they need to make the other servers in the cluster recognize it and do proper load balancing. So they might have gotten the new hardware up and running last Wednesday. Maybe. Add in that the purchasing department probably also needed to scramble to find someone who would give them capital loans on short notice and in THIS economy when most banks wouldn't loan anyone ten cents at 100% interest compounded daily. I'm surprised they got the hardware in before Head Start at *all*.

Now, on to the gratuitous opinion! All that beign said, I'm a little disappointed and concerned... but not terribly. There is hardly an MMO released that doesn't have problems, because unlike most major OS's and clustered software solutions, there is no standard way of doing an MMO. Each one is unique, it has to be, and it's all 'roll your own' from the start. You can't go to Oracle and say 'Hey, we're making an MMO, give us a good solution package!" There is no turnkey solution for MMOs.

Again, though, I'm a little disappointed. I am enjoying the game a lot, and am eager to play it more, so the downtime is a little frustrating. Ideally, or even mostly ideally, a game should be released ONLY when it's ready. In reality, there are a lot of factors that contribute to that not happening, and the portion that can be laid at the feet of developers is miniscule. Besides, come on... anyone who's ever truly worked in information technology knows that developers and system integrators never *want* to release anything unless they knew it was perfect; it's the pressure from EVERYONE ELSE in the company -- purchasing, marketing, shareholder relations, PR, finance, etc. -- that shoves things out the door before they are 100% ready. For some reason, this is nowhere more painfully obvious than in MMOs. It's not ideal, it's not how we want it to be; it is what it is.

I do wish the game was humming along smoothly. But I do have to ask: Those who are saying that this is wrong, that they're angry and PO'd and INFURIATED... while I admit I am a little disappointed and frustrated, what would you have us do, to ensure the game works and is released on time and in good working order?

Apologies if this was rather wordy. Some people needed to understand that IT is not magic, David Copperfield will not saw a server in half and get you two servers, Siegfried and Roy will not draw back a curtain revealing a server farm with white tigers lounging on the racks, money does not grow on trees, current lending institutions are only just a bit better than borrowing from the Mafia, and blaming the devs is not only futile but also inaccurate.

I recommend a generous portion of Chill. I'm having some, and my blood pressure is about normal.
Lt. Commander
# 49
01-31-2010, 01:58 PM
This is obsurd.

577 out of 577

and the worse part is, my number grew, I'd love to see if it kicks me out in 15 minutes for inactivity.