Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 02:23 PM
currently 91/873...
And I agree with you lindsey.

Sadley this is my first foray into MMO's and it is getting more and more disappointing. The Beta seemed to work better...
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 02:29 PM
All the problems and disappointments aside, I think it is a little premature to predict the next month of the game right now. Yes this is frustrating but to go nuts at your computer about how people are all going to quit in a week is just childish. Go find something else to do for a while and come back later, flaming Cryptic on the boards is not going to get you anywhere. I'm pretty sure they are well aware of the issue by now.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by senn4200 View Post
All the problems and disappointments aside, I think it is a little premature to predict the next month of the game right now. Yes this is frustrating but to go nuts at your computer about how people are all going to quit in a week is just childish. Go find something else to do for a while and come back later, flaming Cryptic on the boards is not going to get you anywhere. I'm pretty sure they are well aware of the issue by now.
I think the issue is they technically have 2 days to get it right and it doesn't look like they will. I have appreciated the limited trasparancy of the Devs, but if they are ordering servers in these final hours, it makes me wonder why they weren't in place days ago to support the Headstart and soon the Launch Launch.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 02:39 PM
I have not known any MMO to be completely problem free on launch day. Yes the ball might have been dropped but I'm not going to write off the game at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 25 This IS release .
01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
They created a small window for those that preordered , to give them something in return for their optomism . Open Beta ended Tuesday . The server went Live Friday . Those that are waiting until retail sales open on Tuesday will be playing on this SAME server with these SAME issues . That is just 2 days away . Cryptic has had experience with 2 other MMO's . City of Heroes and Champions Online . The launch of BOTH of those experienced similar issues , but not to this extent . Apparently they decided to work on content over functionality . This is like buy a Ferrari , having it arrive at the dealer and finding out that it will only start 1 out of every 1000 key turns , and that it will randomly die every 10 to 15 miles , at which time you must try your luck restarting it again.
I could forgive Cryptic if this were their first time launching an MMO , but by time number 3 there are certain lessons that they SHOULD have learned . Account server and login server stability issues are mearly database access issues . Our accounts , and information about what characters we have , are stored in a database . When we log on , it is jsut supposed to verify the username and password that we have entered , and then connect us to the game server . This is the most basic part of the entire game . It is the most common part of ANY MMO . THat they can't even handle the load that we that have preordered have put on the system , then it will most certainly fail on Tuesday . Now they have not stated wether or not the "new hardware" they ordered has been installed or not . If it has and they are having these issues , then they fail , because they knew ahead of time how many preorders had been sold ( by looking at the number of new accounts created) . I have been told by a freind that works in the game industry that it is a common formula to take the number of preorders and multiply it by 25 to get the number to expect to see logging in on launch day . So lets say 1500 people preorderd . Take that times 25. That makes 37500 players trying to log in on Tuesday . Not a huge number for an MMO ( Eve Online manages to get 40k ) .
But if the server isn't capable of handling the preorder load , it is going to die under the weight of public launch on Tuesday .
This is something they SHOULD have learned from their 2 previos MMO launches. Especially trying to use a single world server cluster like Eve online , the account and login server become CRITICAL to the entire opperation . CCP invested heavily in RAMSANS that could handle million plus transactions per minute just to be able to keep up with the load of 40k players . If all the ST fans in the world decide to give this game a shot , then they will likey see 100k accounts trying to access the server at all hours of the day and night , which will essentially create a DDoS effect on the account server if it is not properly configured , and if the hardware is incapable of supply the data quickly enough .

ST fans will make or break this game , and I agree with a previous poster that the first 30 days of release will decide the fate of the game . When WoW had issues , they created new servers , which Cryptic won't be able to do . They gave free game time to players . How does Cryptic plan on making things right with Lifetime account holders ?
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 02:50 PM
im not either.... but again, the server is down without warning at 1348 pst. see what i mean? no warning. its been down twice. sigh.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. GeekFist
Um, release is February 2nd. It's not released. Unless you live in the future, in which case can you post the Lottery numbers for Wednesday?
Feb 2nd is release date for everyone.... Headstart is the live date for everyone who preordered as a thank you. Headstart is NOT BETA.... its LIVE.