Survivor of Romulus
Welcome to the Foundry Roundtable, a weekly podcast dedicated to Foundry missions, mission building and other UGC issues starring Foundry authors Drogyn1701, Markhawkman, Hippiejohn and Greendragoon with special guest, Soridem.

In this episode, we say farewell to Hippiejohn who is leaving for personal reasons.

Watch on YouTube

Listen on Soundcloud

Direct Download available on StarbaseUGC

Subscribe on iTunes

-- FOUNDRY NEWS ------------------------------------------------------

The Foundry editor is still suffering heavy lag
The Map Request poll has now been closed
Stoked Radio interviewed Al "Captain Geko" Rivera and talked about Exploration, the Foundry and a possible reputation system

-- REVIEWS ----------------------------------------------------------------

In the Shadow of MIDAS, Part 2 (Beta Version) by Greendragoon

-- DISCUSSION ------------------------------------------------------------

We discuss our thoughts on Geko's Foundry reputation proposal
Monetization of the Foundry
Tech Topic: How to properly direct players to your mission door?
Tech Topic: Methods of faking randomization
Preparing Drogyn for Star Trek Las Vegas

-- EXTERNAL LINKS -----------------------------------------------------

G&T Show: http://www.gandtshow.com/

We won't have a regular show for the next two weeks due to Star Trek Las Vegas.
Join us live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

If you have a topic you'd like to see us cover, have a mission you want promoted, or would like to be a guest-host, e-mail us at FoundryRoundtable@live.com or follow us on Twitter: @FoundryRoundtab
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Career Officer
# 2
07-28-2014, 11:03 PM
I like the return of the Holodeck Idea. If done right, Cryptic play it off as new content without saying it's a random Foundry mission.

Now how to get people to play the Foundry more? It's simple, a good reward that encourages play. But we can't have good rewards because of exploiters finding loopholes. However, I think I know of an idea that could be win/win.

Remember when we first start getting the Holoprograms from the Lockboxes (the first being the Shakespere actors?), and people commented how cool it could be if we could actually have holodeck missions?

Maybe Cryptic could do similar with the Foundry that could give a really nice reward - a unique DOFF, VR Crafting Materials, maybe even Dilithum. But it would be handled like the Rich Dilithum Mining Claims, where it unlocks from chosen Foundry missions (could be Spotlighted, or it could be ones that were played and approved by Cryptic staff). You play the mission and you gain the reward. Perhaps the author getting a little something everytime someone plays in addition to the tips, where it would be like "good job!"

They could even turn a similar idea into a Weekly that they choose a list of missions and do lets say 2 out of 5 missions, you earn the reward. But the mission is tied to the account so you have more freedom to play on any character. So if it's prechosen, the odds of a Foundry reward being exploited is really low.

And the entry points could be Holodecks, like at the Academies, Quarks, Drozana, maybe even those unused holodecks on player starbases.

As for the Foundry Lag. I really hope they get that fixed before Las Vegas. I hate for it to be another 1 month wait.

Last edited by azurianstar; 07-28-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Career Officer
# 3
07-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I like the return of the Holodeck Idea. If done right, Cryptic play it off as new content without saying it's a random Foundry mission.

<snip>

And the entry points could be Holodecks, like at the Academies, Quarks, Drozana, maybe even those unused holodecks on player starbases.
It has been suggested that each of the in-game holodecks, regardless of where they are, become a 'universal' entry point for 'holostory' missions.

What is meant by this is 'a holodeck is a holodeck' - you don't have to run to a specific location holodeck to start a holostory there. Just go to the nearest holodeck and all available holostories are available. This does two things:

One - it simulates that holoprograms can be carried around like books and plugged into any available holodeck to run (Vulcan Love Slave #4 anyone? lol) .

And Two - probably most importantly - it makes coding WAY easier for holodecks. Instead of having to have individual locations programmed for each holodeck in the game, only a single piece of coding is needed - then copy and pasted to all holodeck panels throughout the game. This cuts down on dev costs - making it that much more likely to be implemented.
My consolidated list of game improvements for STO: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=990371
Career Officer
# 4
07-29-2014, 01:12 AM
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that you want Holodeck Missions to be Holodeck Missions and not Foundry missions? But they are Foundry missions that are specifically tied to the Holodeck?

Sounds good.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
07-29-2014, 07:17 AM
Just to let everyone know, I plan to produce a special supplemental Roundtable with video from STLV, it'll probably go live after I get back on Sunday. I'll also be tweeting lots from the convention, especially the STO panel on Saturday - 2 p.m. U.S. Pacific Time (assuming I can get cell signal and/or wifi). You can follow me at @drogyn1701

As the post says our next regular show will be in two weeks.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 6
07-29-2014, 02:31 PM
I'm intrigued by the tech topic, I've tried a few of those suggestions in WIP projects, so far they work ( In preview at least)

I've been trying my hand at a few roleplay suitable puzzles, My current one is a Locked Door that can be opened three ways
- Kill a Security team and take a keycard by force
-Hack the door = Technobable puzzle
-Steal a keycard from a locker

The way it is completed then changes the spawning sequences of the later mission, giving an element of randomisasdtion

It seems to work, though I wouldn't mind getting a hand to test the puzzle on Holodeck

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
Captain
# 7
07-30-2014, 12:25 PM
Would you guys advertise trailers on the show? If you do, I made one for a mission. Epohh's Day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5lB...LAvtqEvQv4YMlA

It is now finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.

Last edited by voporak; 08-02-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Captain
# 8
08-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Really gonna miss Jon's contribution to our community, so here is wishing him the best in his authoring endeavours here or elsewhere. Joining you guys a few weeks back I was blown away by how talented you are at broadcasting. I have dabbled in radio but really did not have my a game that day. Loved the topic on randomization as I want to create a random maze in the mirror Romulan mission I talked about on your show. I think it would be cool if it was a different experience with each play through.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 9
08-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Just out of curiousity, when is the next show coming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by askray View Post
YAY I'M EVOLVED! *drools on his chin*
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Welcome to the STO forums, where the evolutionary clock ticks backwards.
Rihannsu
# 10
08-12-2014, 10:40 PM
hopefully tomorrow evening, but I haven't heard from Drogyn on it.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.