Captain
Forum glitched out when I posted this earlier and I ended up with an empty thread somehow.

With ThomasTheCat having posted the guide Cryptic's using for the Odyssey uniforms on NPCs (courtesy link), I started putting the NPCs in my Foundry missions ("Bait and Switch, Part I" and two missions in development hell) into the uniforms. It occurred to me that we still don't have dedicated rank insignia for enlisted personnel other than CPOs.

The solution I used was to apply officer insignia to the enlisted color patterns, with Master Chief Wiggin from B&S1 getting four pips (captain's insignia). In full, my insignia system is as follows:
  • Crewman Recruit, Crewman Apprentice, Crewman (E-1 through E-3): Chief insignia
  • Petty Officer, Third Class (E-4): Ensign
  • Petty Officer, Second Class (E-5): Lieutenant junior grade
  • Petty Officer, First Class (E-6): Lieutenant
  • Chief Petty Officer (E-7): Lieutenant Commander
  • Senior Chief Petty Officer (E-8): Commander
  • Master Chief Petty Officer (E-9): Captain
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Starfleet Veteran
# 2
07-25-2014, 08:26 PM
I'm concerned this might lead to confusion with common players who aren't going to immediately recognize the distinction between officers and enlisted.

@greendragoon
Captain
# 3
07-26-2014, 04:13 AM
I changed the code slightly (such as adding the Vet jacket as the CiC), Enlisted now use The TNG films / DS9 top with Oddy colour schemes, silver ranks, and WoK trousers.

Chief - Crewman 3rd Class
Ensign - Crewman 2nd Class
Lieutenant JG - Crewman 1st Class
Lieutenant - Petty Officer
Lt Commander - Senior Petty Officer
Commander - Master Petty Officer
Captain - Chief Petty Officer

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.
JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Unofficial Bortasq' Uniform colour guide here.
Captain
# 4
07-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 View Post
I'm concerned this might lead to confusion with common players who aren't going to immediately recognize the distinction between officers and enlisted.
Well, I've frankly had it with pandering to the lowest common denominator. If they can't read the part of the dialog window that says "Master Chief So-and-So" on it, compare it to the window that says "Commander Whatsherface", and put two and two together, lack of military knowledge is the least of their problems.

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Captain
# 5
08-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Another thing I've done is use H10 gray as the divisional color for an acting ensign, and use H10 silver braid on a flag captain (captain of an admiral's flagship).

Ensign
# 6
08-06-2014, 04:43 PM
hows it pandering..if in star trek itself..only the chiefs had an insignia?

I find personallyusing the dress uniforms for the Admirals gives a very classy look previously they'd look like they were wearing oversizd coats in some places.

I had to change all my 40 sims npcs cos i religously used the antares 2 uniorm (as most npcs in ships and spacedock wore them i assumed it was the more..common in starfleet )

I'm glad all the default npcs have changed too (the mishmash of uniforms got annoying after a while )
Captain
# 7
08-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariuskoronikov View Post
hows it pandering..if in star trek itself..only the chiefs had an insignia?

I find personallyusing the dress uniforms for the Admirals gives a very classy look previously they'd look like they were wearing oversizd coats in some places.

I had to change all my 40 sims npcs cos i religously used the antares 2 uniorm (as most npcs in ships and spacedock wore them i assumed it was the more..common in starfleet )

I'm glad all the default npcs have changed too (the mishmash of uniforms got annoying after a while )
Totally agree with the Admirals, they look so much more dignified than they used to.
I also like the colour distinction between Vice and full Admirals with silver and gold

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......