Lt. Commander
For example there are multitude of NODES I can spend the Lvl up credits on but WTF do I spend it on.
As a captain I have about 8 different trees and each tree has multitude of branches. So I can honestly totally gimp my character if I decide to spec into bunch of branches.
I am a Science toon.
Now the branches, do they open up as you lvl up or do they open up as you spend points into them?

A nice quick Rundown would be great.
Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 10:12 AM
I havent seen any quick start guides to all of the skill point modifiers yet so ill try to make a simple guide that should work for about the first 15 levels or so and get you leveling fast. I wont be going into great detail, this is only meant to introduce you to STO quick enough that you can get into some combat, not die, and get your fair share of loot in fleet encounters.

Skill points work on several aspects of gameplay. They will affect the overall qualities of the ship you fly and buff up your abilities making them more effective. That could be increasing the duration of an effect, reducing the energy consumption, or increasing the output of the ability/weapon. Some of the first tier skills will instantly change how much damage you can do with your weapons while others simply buff a bridge officer skill. I find the later to be of a lessor concern when starting out.

When first leveling you want lots of DPS. The starter ship has room for playing around with configurations and you dont have to be as worried about ship configuration, or weapon choice because the reactor will support all 3 slots just fine. So early on dump all your points into these skills (i have also found that this order works well)

Starship Energy Weapons - to 9
Starship Projectile Weapons- to 9
Starship Command- to 9
Starship Warp Core- to 9

These skills have a direct impact on how much Damage you do, how well your ship can turn, and how much power you can get out of your ship.

A word on Bridge officer choice. Make sure that when you start out that you have a bridge officer with emergency power to shields. IMO this is the most critical skill to have right away. It will enable you to recharge your shields quickly after a good fight, or survive an alpha strike (when you agro all 8 enemy ships and they focus fire on you). Speaking of alpha strikes, they happen so done get too worried. You also dont have to die. Quickly divert all your power to shields, hit emergency power to shields and start sending power to the shield that is taking the most damage. Start turning in circles to distribute the damage across all your shields and wait for help to arrive. In some cases you can soak up the damage and slowly pick off the ships starting with the smaller ones first and working to the battleships. It helps if you go in and modify the default power settings for defence. Crank shields and aux power up, crank weapons down, and give engines a little love but not much.

I have my opinions on how to level quickly and what works well for me. You need to decide what your favorite playstyle will be and what skills you want to use when making further skillpoint choices. I will say thought that from what time I have spent in the game DPS is king. SO after you buff up the above skills to level 9, spend points where they will improve your bridge officer skills (emergency power to shields, tach beam etc.) and then head into the DPS trees again when you get your Lt. Commander rank.

Outside of skill points you need to also be thinking about what consoles you are going to run. Always look for ones that increase power output or give a plus to your weapon damage. Think about your choices carefuly because running lots of beam weapons means your hitting your reactor hard all the time. When your power level drops your dps goes down. This becomes more of an issue in your second tier ship than on the starter ship.

I will also recomend that you do plenty of explore type missions, and enemy signal missions. These seem to give you what you need for the best gear and level you quickly. You are going to need badges to buy some higher level gear, and you will get good drops from the battleships and battle cruisers in the deep space encounters.So if you stick to these play areas you will have the most options to upgrade your ship (if you dont want to wait on drops or hope you get them from missions) I dont find that missions are worth the time investment right now. If you want some story line and a clue as to what is going on in the universe you may want to do missions.

Sell everything that is not of MKII quality or better to your ships replicator. When you have several thousand credits go to the market and buy the MKII version of any ship fitting that you do not allready have. DO the same when you get your Lt. Cmdr rank. Sell all your MKII stuff and be on the lookout for MKIII and MKIV gear. IF you have enough money buy all highest rank gear you can afford and put it on your new ship before you leave the dock.

As a rule of thumb - sell your consoles to private partys for the most credits. Good ones are hard to find and fetch a great price. The ones that add to weapon damage sell for the most. Fit one that matches your weapon choice and sell the rest for mega bucks. Shields, and weapons also fetch good prices. Sell all the rest of the space crap you pick up to your on board replicator. When you have an inventory full of consoles, weapons and shields go to the market and sell them.

I havent found a need to spend any skill points on ground based abilities yet. Not within the first 20 levels anyway. It is entirely possibly to never do a ground mission if you dont want to, and level up.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Wow, you must be kidding me OP. How about actually playing this game and figuring it out for yoruself? Like the people who'll undoubtly gimp their char in order to give you a solid build in retrospec.

No offense, but this game ain't released yet, and folks are already begging for builds, yet no one has reached admiral and tasted the endcontet. No one has any in depth knowledge how skills works with gear....

FML...
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
Wow, you must be kidding me OP. How about actually playing this game and figuring it out for yoruself? Like the people who'll undoubtly gimp their char in order to give you a solid build in retrospec.

No offense, but this game ain't released yet, and folks are already begging for builds, yet no one has reached admiral and tasted the endcontet. No one has any in depth knowledge how skills works with gear....

FML...
Thanks for that, I honestly love a great informative post. Please keep those coming.

In other news.
A nice guide of how the "BUILD SYSTEM WORKS" would be great for those who actually buy the game and want to play. The manual will have nothing on this and spending $20.00 on a guide book that gets outdated 2 weeks into the game is a waste of money and unnecessary.

I did not ask for a build, I asked for HOW THE POWERS AND BUILDS WORK, to take out the confusion out of the build trees.
IF cryptic done it's job this question would not be asked. They should be the ones posting a nice online guide to it. However, since this is business they want to make the extra $$ from the guidebook writers. Perfectly understandable. So if you could please step back and look at this from my perspective and from perspective of hundreds who want to play the game and not get lost like hell the first time around.
Maybe you only have 1 hour every few days to play because maybe you have a house, kids, wife , work. Do you honestly want to spend that 1 hour figuring out What the hell do the trees mean and what the hell should I do with those points? NO! You want to go in with some pre-requisite knowledge of the game level mechanics. As such, that given user will be more likely to come back and play instead of giving up after the first month since one can't figure out the system do to the limited play time allowed.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempnexus
Thanks for that, I honestly love a great informative post. Please keep those coming.

In other news.
A nice guide of how the "BUILD SYSTEM WORKS" would be great for those who actually buy the game and want to play. The manual will have nothing on this and spending $20.00 on a guide book that gets outdated 2 weeks into the game is a waste of money and unnecessary.

I did not ask for a build, I asked for HOW THE POWERS AND BUILDS WORK, to take out the confusion out of the build trees.
IF cryptic done it's job this question would not be asked. They should be the ones posting a nice online guide to it. However, since this is business they want to make the extra $$ from the guidebook writers. Perfectly understandable. So if you could please step back and look at this from my perspective and from perspective of hundreds who want to play the game and not get lost like hell the first time around.
Maybe you only have 1 hour every few days to play because maybe you have a house, kids, wife , work. Do you honestly want to spend that 1 hour figuring out What the hell do the trees mean and what the hell should I do with those points? NO! You want to go in with some pre-requisite knowledge of the game level mechanics. As such, that given user will be more likely to come back and play instead of giving up after the first month since one can't figure out the system do to the limited play time allowed.

You could always hire kids down the street to play the game for you.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezoran View Post
Only If I could stand above them looking at them while rubbing my hands together and bursting in evil laughter. *MUAHAHAH....MUAHAHAHA*

I can always make the PC out of Ginger Cookie and bait them into the oven...MUAHAHAH, the modern Ginger House witch...MUAHAHAHAHA
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezoran View Post
What he/she said...

It's really sad, the game aint out yet, and folks already asking about indepth gamemechanics knowledge, instead of actually frelling playing the game...#uberfail.

It's so much more rewarding and refreshing to actually figure out stuff and mechanics yourself. It's part of the MMO experience.

But guess I'm an oldschooler, the new generation wants everything semi-automated, full-explained and guides to everything.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
What he/she said...

It's really sad, the game aint out yet, and folks already asking about indepth gamemechanics knowledge, instead of actually frelling playing the game...#uberfail.

It's so much more rewarding and refreshing to actually figure out stuff and mechanics yourself. It's part of the MMO experience.

But guess I'm an oldschooler, the new generation wants everything semi-automated, full-explained and guides to everything.
I'm sorry you aren't in the head start. I'm also sorry that your an unconstructive opinionated elitist. We don't want it handed to us..we want up to date tooltips that let us know what the powers actually do, and what is useful for the officer type since all 3 officer types can buy every skill, but not every skill is useful for every officer.

Go back to playing Everquest or UO, and let us people that aren't psychic get back to requesting decent constructive feedback..and keep your opinion to yourself Mr. Forumtroll.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Again, what prevents you to play and figure it out yourself? (appart from server crashes, queues and not being in head-start)

Like I said...everything on a silver-platter....
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-31-2010, 04:02 PM
This thread is loosing itīs charm. Itīs becoming a matter of holding on to your point no matter the counter argument.

Both sides are valid. However I tend to agree that a good discussion on whatīs what never hurt anyone. MMOīs are as much about being social as passing time in a fun way. That goes for the outside game community as well. Discussing the basic game mechanics enter this category, which is what the OP was asking for. The long response simply answered more then the OP requested in that it suggested a certain build along the way

- Live long and prosper. Happy gaming.