Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Hi. Can someone please help me understand how Training works?
If i have a tactical bridge officer, and she came with Leg Sweep, as I accrue skill points, I can choose to give her skill points by clicking the up arrow next to Leg Sweep, which I understand makes her more effective at Leg Sweeping. However, there are other tactical ensign skills that interest me, say "Skill Foo". If I go to the bridge officer trainer and buy a new skill for my ensign tactical officer, it says it will replace her existing skill.
So basically if I've invested 5 skill points in her Leg Sweep and I want her to have Skill Foo, that I basically throw away all 5 skill points and she starts Skill Foo at 1? Is Leg Sweep gone forever?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynyc View Post
So basically if I've invested 5 skill points in her Leg Sweep and I want her to have Skill Foo, that I basically throw away all 5 skill points and she starts Skill Foo at 1? Is Leg Sweep gone forever?
Yes. This is due to the fact that there are always ways to earn more Bridge Officer skillpoints, no matter what rank/grade you (the player character) are.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-31-2010, 04:10 PM
let me ask differently: it seems that the skills i might want my officers to have varies from mission to mission. how does one set a strategy, or is it basically trial-error-trial-success with choosing new skills? it feels "risky" to try a new skill starting at level 1 vs. just keeping the existing skill at level 6 (or 7 or whatever). it seems like we are disincentized from trying new skills.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynyc View Post
let me ask differently: it seems that the skills i might want my officers to have varies from mission to mission. how does one set a strategy, or is it basically trial-error-trial-success with choosing new skills? it feels "risky" to try a new skill starting at level 1 vs. just keeping the existing skill at level 6 (or 7 or whatever). it seems like we are disincentized from trying new skills.
The best way I found to experiment with skills is to go ahead and train them but do not level them up. Play with the skill for a bit and then decide if you like it or not. If you like it, skill it up. If you don't, dump it for another.

That being said, you can also have multiple officers of a certain type. I have two engineers that I swap out in space depending on the mission. I also have one officer that I use for ground only and never use him in space. It might seem like a waste to some people but I find it gives me a nice variety of skills to use depending on the situation. It also saves on merits from having to train one officer in all the skills I want.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-31-2010, 04:28 PM
Noticed this too. I started holding back BO skill points. you dont _have_ to spend them. I decided to wait, and only spend them on

a) a BO I am sure I will be keeping a long time
b) on a skill which has proven itself usefull

I'll try all skills that might interest me on level one for some time.

The level of info that is available on character advancement from cryptic has been pretty incomplete so far. Boards are full of "how do I do xyz with my skillpoints" questions. Few are sure about which skills affect what, and even those who belief they know the deal, arent fully convinced of what most of the numbers _exactly_ mean.

Cryptic: Nomen est omen ?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-31-2010, 04:44 PM
I use a variety of BO's as well. Instead of overwriting a skill, I just buy a new Boff to get the skill I want to buy, test and upgrade. I only have two Boffs with skills I'm 100% confident with atm. With the first tier skills it's easy to buy a Boff who comes with the skill to start with. The thing I like to keep an eye on are the other racial benefits the Boff has when selecting them.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-31-2010, 04:58 PM
My issue is slightly related. When I get rewarded with a new bridge officer with rarer abilities, can I transfer the bonus to my existing team. I don't want to dich my crew just because someone with more benefits comes along. I'd like to be able to train up my old crew with the newer bonus.

I'll have you know I've spent a lot of time organising my harem *cough* I mean bridge, and I don't want to lose my pretty girls *cough* I mean valued team.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-31-2010, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynyc View Post
Hi. Can someone please help me understand how Training works?
If i have a tactical bridge officer, and she came with Leg Sweep, as I accrue skill points, I can choose to give her skill points by clicking the up arrow next to Leg Sweep, which I understand makes her more effective at Leg Sweeping. However, there are other tactical ensign skills that interest me, say "Skill Foo". If I go to the bridge officer trainer and buy a new skill for my ensign tactical officer, it says it will replace her existing skill.
So basically if I've invested 5 skill points in her Leg Sweep and I want her to have Skill Foo, that I basically throw away all 5 skill points and she starts Skill Foo at 1? Is Leg Sweep gone forever?
Yeah - If you replace Leg Sweep with Skill Foo, it's gone.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet, is your BO's get more skill slots when they level up (I think I read that they do anyway). So, you might consider waiting to train Skill Foo until the BO is leveled up.

You can't level up a BO to your rank. They have to be one rank below you.

I haven't made it to LCDR yet, so I'm not positive what you need to do to level your BO up.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:25 PM.