Lt. Commander
About 20 minutes to go before you start hearing...

This game is awesome!
This game is FULL of bugs!
I hate this game!

and many other comments.

But most importantly, are you ready for the onslaught of people that are going to hit your servers? I truly hope that the test for OB was a real test and we don't see "SERVER NOT RESPONDING" and a subsequent "Emergency Patch".

Call me pesimistic, but sooooo many game companies have dealt with this issue. I hope and pray we change that trend.

See you all in-game!

oh god, please no....(I got this just trying to submit this post) /cry...

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, cstewart@crypticstudios.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-29-2010, 10:05 AM
i don't think any company is ready for the onslaught of people trying to play this game right now.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineria
i don't think any company is ready for the onslaught of people trying to play this game right now.
/agree

If you think about the number of possible ST fans out there, the numbers would be mind-boggling. Still, this must be quite exciting for Cryptic. I hope all goes well.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-29-2010, 10:10 AM
Well to be honest. If you aren't prepared for a known amount of players wanting to play in the early bird, then what do they think the 2nd is going to be like?

All launch days are problematic. But one would think that if you know how many pre-orders there were you would simply have to ensure you have infrastructure in place to support them all for a trouble free early-bird launch. Maybe that's just me though.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggep
Well to be honest. If you aren't prepared for a known amount of players wanting to play in the early bird, then what do they think the 2nd is going to be like?

All launch days are problematic. But one would think that if you know how many pre-orders there were you would simply have to ensure you have infrastructure in place to support them all for a trouble free early-bird launch. Maybe that's just me though.
it would cost alot of money for a ton of servers to handle the initial load of everyone logging in at once, then in a day or so that will fade and everyone will go back to standard play times and they will be left with a ton of servers that aren't needed often.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Nah, in short I still think they underestimated either the fanbase or overestimated their server stability. I still seriously think that they should have regional servers. Not only does it take care of the QQ of shutting down during someone's "primetime" but it evens out the loads accross multiple servers. So if people stateside are hammering the login server, those in Europe or other regions don't have to suffer for it and viceversa.

Ugh. The poor planning...
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-31-2010, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineria
it would cost alot of money for a ton of servers to handle the initial load of everyone logging in at once, then in a day or so that will fade and everyone will go back to standard play times and they will be left with a ton of servers that aren't needed often.
You're incorrect. Hardware companies do this all the time. Sun Micro does this. You can purchase any number of servers you want, then when you don't need them after a short period, usually 30 days, you can return them at no cost.

So, there is no reason why they cannot be prepared. It was just bad planning, that's all.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-31-2010, 04:13 PM
I remember when World of ******** was released. That game was buggy for months. Blizzard were good sports about it too so they gave us free days and credited us for a whole week.