Survivor of Romulus
# 101
03-13-2014, 07:29 PM
Whether or not you find it silly is irrelevant.

Quote:
You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.
It is what it is.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.
Commander
# 102
03-18-2014, 08:21 AM
Oh, I have no clue what the copyright law actually is on this point. I'm just explaining the rules that, if you read the EULA closely, Cryptic seems to be playing by.
Career Officer
# 103
06-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Yeah... accodring to the EULA as written, you can mention (and possibly use with big workarounds) canon characters, but in virtually all cases, not portray them visually.

I'm working on such a mission - in my story, a canon character (not saying who!) gets kidnapped just before the player meets with them on their homeworld. Then they spend the rest of the mission chasing down the kidnappers and rescuing the character. The canon character is mentioned several times but never physically present (in the end, they are beamed aboard your ship while you are on the planet following a ground battle... and you are simply told that they are safely aboard).

Two other canon characters get mentioned by name (and a third has a ship named after him) but aren't present.

Last edited by westmetals; 06-17-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Ensign
# 104
08-02-2014, 05:21 AM
I wish to ask a rather daft question and I am kind of numb looking through this post.

1. Is it feasable to use accolade images within fleet signatures?
2. Is it feasable to use other images (roundals and other unit emblems) posted on this site. For example the new ships emblems (vesta is a prime example) and The Starfleet emblem posted within the news regarding the new uniforms for 9.5
Starfleet Veteran
# 105
08-02-2014, 09:43 AM
This thread is specifically about the EULA for the Foundry. You would have to go read the Forum rules for that.

@greendragoon
Ensign
# 106
02-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Would I be able to create someone for my foundry that is part of the Q what-ever-it-is that isn't the already created Q?
Survivor of Romulus
# 107
02-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicage13 View Post
Would I be able to create someone for my foundry that is part of the Q what-ever-it-is that isn't the already created Q?
Yes, as long as it doesn't look like any of the real-life actors that have played Qs
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forums are like Sanctuary Districts, complete with Gimmes, Ghosts and Dims.
Career Officer
# 108
02-20-2015, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Yes, as long as it doesn't look like any of the real-life actors that have played Qs
Exactly. You can use established characters - by name, even - and definitely another member of the same species, as would be the case here. The EULA only prohibits using the physical appearance, (real-life) names, or other personal characteristics of any of the actors. So a random Q (or Vulcan or Trill or whatever) is perfectly fine.
Member of Special Operations Command (UFP)
and leader of House of Calafia (KDF)
and Foundry author (first mission published July 2014)
Career Officer
# 109
02-20-2015, 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prierin View Post
With that logic in mind there should be no concerns about using said character likenesses in licensed Star Trek content where no contract is required to create content, such as the Foundry. The same applies to fans dressing up as characters from Star Trek, including well-known and named characters (Picard, Data, Worf, etc.) for licensed conventions. If what you suggest in your above statement is accurate, each of these people would be in violation of copyright laws and the practice would be banned.
Except not because, those people are wearing a costume and calling themselves by the name of the character... but that doesn't mean they are using the actor/actresses' likeness (primarily meaning voice and apperance of unclothed portions of the body; in real life situations, those two things are perhaps the most difficult/impossible to copy)....

You could put someone in a DS9-era Starfleet uniform and give them a 'Dax' name... as long as they don't look like Jadzia or Ezri (or any of the guest-stars who portrayed the other hosts), you're not breaking the rules.

There's a legal separation between an actor/actress and the character they play. (In which I believe, the actor/actress portion generally refers to their voice and unclothed portions of the body, while the character's name and clothing, and any distinctive equipment/makeup/hairstyle/etc might be included here, are the character portion.)

In this case we're allowed to use the names, costumes, etcetera pertaining to the characters, but not the items that fall on the actor/actress side of that separation, due to the details of the various licensing contracts between the cast, CBS/Paramount/Viacom/whoever, and PWE/Cryptic. The cases where PWE/Cryptic have breached this rule themselves have, I believe, been the result of specific negotiations in each case and those have not been extended to the Foundry.

You can - and I and many other Foundry authors have - use canon characters by name, just so long as they do not appear physically, or if they do, are obscured from vision or otherwise made physically unrecognizable. Portraying an adiult version of a character who was only seen as a child, would perhaps comply with this rule. In my mission 'Dubious Gifts', I used at least three (if not more) canon characters (the ones I recall were all DS9 main-cast members) but dodged the rule because none of them ever actually appear, they are simply discussed in their absence, and names and verbal details are perfectly acceptable.
Member of Special Operations Command (UFP)
and leader of House of Calafia (KDF)
and Foundry author (first mission published July 2014)

Last edited by westmetals; 02-20-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Rihannsu
# 110
02-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Well, a lot of people choose who to cosplay as based on their resemblance to the character. One of the better Scotty cosplays was good because the guy doing the cosplay looked so similar to Doohan.

So it's mostly people dressing as the character, not so much trying to duplicate the likeness.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.