Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 04:40 PM
Strondbokken's explanation is the most likely and obvious explanation I've heard so far.

And it's indicative about what's wrong with the game industry a lot of the time also.

There are very few companies out there that won't bow to that kind of pressure, focusing on the long-term health of the product instead of the quick cash-out.

Which is a shame for us that love gaming.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuoken
people seem to forget that Atari owns Cryptc and BTW they buy Blizzard three years ago. And look what they (atari) did to wow...
This is what we call "making stuff up." Atari doesn't have anything to do with Blizzard. Blizzard was owned by Vivendi games, who merged with Activision and formed "Activision Blizzard."

Further reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceilican View Post
I do realize that things are far more complicated then the most of the simple ones want to realize and or rant about.

Technically speaking Cryptic is the "middle" man of sorts though they are shouldering most of the work.

Its more about numbers then anything. Make something that has mass appeal, relatively easy to play and charge a monthly fee. Star Trek as a large following, however I am willing to bet that a good % of that crowd are not mindless easy spending fools that will blindly waste 15$ a month.

I honestly feel that Cryptic could have done more if they really wanted to make that statement to Atari, if they wanted to make an in-depth product and they wanted to appeal to probably a smaller but more intelligent body. Other then just the "pew pew pew pew pew pew" mentality.

Make a quality product and the money/customers will follow.
I think the game is fine as-is (for a launch) and that Cryptic will work on more of the content that Trek fans want after the game is out and relatively stable. Just because people aren't getting it now doesn't mean they won't get it a few months from now.

Apart from that, I think ignoring the Trekkie crowd was the smartest decision Cryptic and Atari could have made. Looking back at the past fifteen years or so, if Cryptic and Atari had acquiesced to the Trekkies, it would have started a cycle where the devs would have had to more or less ask permission from the fanbase to do much of anything.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strondbokken View Post
Since when does Atari own Blizzard? I thought they were independent.
He probably has them confused with Activision. Even then he's made a mistake as Activision didn't buy Blizzard. Instead it merged with Vivendi Games, which was the owner of Blizzard.

Edit: too slow
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strondbokken View Post
Since when does Atari own Blizzard? I thought they were independent.
my mistake, i confuse atari with Activison