Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 09:50 AM
I just interpret it as injured crew and the number of crew list is those that are active and fit for duty. It makes more sense to me because they regenerate over time even without going to a starbase to get more. I know they are not reproducing and making new crew; so, it must be the doctor who is healing the crew and returning them to active duty.

Besides, this is Star Trek and death really doesnt exist as most people who die come back anyway in one way or another.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 10:10 AM
I want a mini-game based off this. After your ship explodes or somebody dies on your crew, you have to go to Earth Space dock and track down all of their family members and apologize.

At that point you have to use diplomacy to not get obliterated by the phaser wielding grandmother.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 10:11 AM
Most of the crew on ships are holograms which is why your crew can regen.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Too much tree hugging hippy nerds in here, I gots to go!
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
well for the crew count, I pretty much take that as injured crew since they all come back eventually. And in my own opinion I'd say the crew count moves too much anyway, even just for injuries. So just take a percentage of missing crew and call them temporarily injured and that solves that.

And as for explainations of respawning, I'd glad they dont do anything like showing escape pods, or some crazy time anomalies. Anything done to explain all the ship destructions would only make the whole thing unbelievable and kinda silly. You own ship being destroyed is just a game mechanic for the players to deal with. In the actual world of the game and from the point of view of any game character, it never happens.
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Nobody has it as bad as I do.

First day of the game on a ground mission, one of my bridge officers got stunned and exposed- and then prompty disintegrated by an NPC.

It disappeared from my group, everything. Gone. Poof. No respawn either.

Pretty sure that's a bug, but my advice is simple- don't let your bridge guys get exposed. It sucks.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-31-2010, 03:29 PM
actually, it appears your ship never gets destroyed, just wrecked. when you blow up, your hull is still there in one piece. So its like the engineers worked some magic and your ship became fine again, with a lil less crew
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
actually, it appears your ship never gets destroyed, just wrecked. when you blow up, your hull is still there in one piece. So its like the engineers worked some magic and your ship became fine again, with a lil less crew
Thats not magic, thats some African Black voodoo right there.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtedExtra
I have played many MMORPG killed many monsters and played PVP MMORPG and won and lost many battles. STO is the first time I actually thought of the casualties. My ship has 200 crew and many times I am down to 25% or lost ship altogether, or blown up another ship with 100s of crew. It feels very sobering, unlike most games where you only are killing the one trying to kill you, in STO you are killling many people that you would never see.

In open beta someone stated they wanted to see the people flying out into space on hull breaches, thankfully that would never be but in.

While this is just a game and the thoughts quickly pass, it makes me think about RL bomber pilots and captains of naval ships and some of the guilt they must live with.

On a lighter note, when my personnel replentish, where do the come from, Is there a party I am not aware of?
Yep im gutted when i mow down tens of thousands of zombies in Left4Dead2