Lt. Commander
i would actually like to thank cryptic. for what they have done.

i know a TON of you right now are either laughing calling me names or getting those flaming fingers going. BUT hear me out here

Cryptic set out to make this game a while back and a lot of us were/are very optimistic about its launch and content therein.

i personally have no problems with the current server problems as i am having all the same problems most of you are having as well.. but i understand that very rarely does a game come out never needing patching or updating in some way.. after all were not baking bread here. there is no recipe a game designer can look up and then follow the instructions.

every time a game is made its a new creation a "new dish" so sure some things carry over from game to game but the great majority don't. if they did.. i believe we would have a lot of boring games.. after all who would want the same "bread" every time its made. which is me saying if you had the same people making every game ever there would be no room for creativity.

this creativity also being new to each game also means it tends to spawn a lot of those problems.. as these particular creative ideas may have never seen the light of day before. A.K.A. coding for the game. among other things.

so while the game has its fair share of growing problems and the like right now.. im willing to accept that at the moment its a new born baby that was just given birth to and so does not know this world yet except to scream and throw a tantrum. but one day it will grow up and then we will see what kind of person it becomes A.K.A. when the majority of the server problems get sorted out.

personally i would like to thank the DEV team for putting so much time and effort into the game and continuing to do so.. even though there is a lot of hatred on the forums as of late. they are still working and and actually.. i see more dev comments on these forums than on any other game forum i have ever followed. so thanks for takeing time out of your day to leave those as well. of course we always want more information and we all want our particular questions answered that we ask. but i also can understand that if you took the time to answer every question we write then.. you would not be working on the game.

so good luck with all the problems a new game MMO start causes and once its all sorted out. i hope to see you guys in game as well ... maybe.

P.S. my one suggestion at the moment is.. that for "scheduled down time" you post somewhere on the front page of the website a particular time every day or what not.. that you are planing to bring the servers down for "maintenance" EVE brings there server down every day for about an hour and every one knows about it.. and thus makes it a non issue. but being in the game and seeing a message saying its coming down in 10 minutes just isn't enough time for the community.. the community at large would like to know when these things are going to happen well in advance so they can plan around them. if at all possible.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 06:07 PM
I loved the open beta. Back then I could actually play the darn thing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Agree with the OP. I've been in numerous MMO launches and this one as it goes is one of the smoothest. Yes, there are problems but far less than many others I've tried. There are also problems in the game but the potential is there and from patch notes and Dev posts I have hope that Cryptic is going to go places with this game. I'm also enjoying playing it a whole bunch!

Bugger the flamers, get the server sorted then get back to work on creating new stuff for the game and you'll keep the silent majority happy!
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-31-2010, 06:13 PM
agreed open beta was surprising better, i love this game, but hate the server
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daevian
Agree with the OP. I've been in numerous MMO launches and this one as it goes is one of the smoothest. Yes, there are problems but far less than many others I've tried. There are also problems in the game but the potential is there and from patch notes and Dev posts I have hope that Cryptic is going to go places with this game. I'm also enjoying playing it a whole bunch!

Bugger the flamers, get the server sorted then get back to work on creating new stuff for the game and you'll keep the silent majority happy!
/agree totally
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-31-2010, 06:44 PM
I agree in some spots, in others I don't. I'm thankful for Cryptic coming out with a Star Trek mmorpg.....if it wasn't for them, this would have been a dead project when Perpetual Entertainment closed up shop.

This isn't a smooth launch though. Not by a longshot. So far, its a fairly normal one for a mmorpg: buggy, server downtime, with its share of problems. I'm not saying this is a big problem....I'm saying its normal.

Smooth launches? I've only seen three.

1) Dark Age of Camelot. An oldie, but it was smooth in the end of beta, and smooth at launch.
2) Pirates of the Burning Sea. Really nice launch. There were bugs in it, but the type of bugs that affected quests and such....not server stability or downtime. In about 2 months, they had most of the major bugs squashed and were fixing spelling errors in quest dialogue.
3) Lords of the Rings Online. Definitely the smoothest launch I've ever seen. Even in beta, all features were there, bugs were squashed, and even the little things were working: Like playing instruments. Meaning, your avatar could buy a mandolin, a flute, etc, and the key's on your keyboard, corresponded to the bridge, the strings, etc, and you had real life musicians learning the keyboard layouts of their in-game instruments, and playing in the town centers with wonderful improvised medieval style tunes - drums, flutes, strings, etc.

That's why LOTRO is so highly rated and still going strong. Its an extremely detailed game. Even so, fantasy games aren't my style - I always keep trying them, but they can't keep my interest for more than a few months. However, there hasn't been a good sci-fi mmorpg till now. I recognize that LOTRO is probably the most detailed, in-depth, professionally run mmorpg out there though.