Lt. Commander
# 31
01-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relevance View Post
The ignorance of this is astounding... Did you ever play mass effect 1? it took about 9 months for them to finally... finally.. fix the glitches that made the game unplayable because of crashes for people who chose to use high-end nvidia cards
+1
Also don,t forget the problems Mass Effect 1 had with soundcards.
When the servers are up STO runs just fine. All the quest i did so far i discovered no problems. When they can solve the server problems in short time i hope we can discuss gameplay and tips.
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-31-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_K
Cryptic. You have now lost me.
I saw the pre-beta stuff was excited. I read a whole bunch of Closed-Beta-era Reviews/Previews. Most of them loved the game, but still said it needed some work. A few outright told me not to spend money on this game. I was in on the open beta from day 1. I made my character, logged onto the actual game saw my character for ten seconds before the server kicked me out. I should have stopped then, but I gave you guys the benefit of the doubt, I continued through the beta, slugging my way through the constant crashes and "downtime". I dealt with the bug where your ship loads instead of your character before crashing my game. I even had a time when the game crashed my computer. Now I am in the Headstart with (what SHOULD be) the release version of the game and, in addition to the unfixed bugs from the Beta, I have to deal with QUEUES???

**** you. I would demand my money back, but I'd never see a cent of it. You have put me in a whole new dimension of ****ed off. I could not even begin to express my anger in a written and coherent sense. It has actually taken me about a half and hour to calm the **** down from when I was yelling obscenities at my computer screen. This game showed so much promise three months ago and now, well, I can literally not wait until Star Wars: The Old Republic comes out because, while they have never made an MMO before, Bioware makes games that actually work when they're released. WHat has Cryptic made, Champions Online? City of Heroes/City of Villians? Not only were both crap but they were the same ****ing game. It's like Cryptic didn't even try and develop a second game, they just RE-RELEASED THEIR FIRST ONE. STO will forever be remembered as a Second Rate MMO, from a Second Rate MMO Company, with FIrst Rate IP; just wasted potential.
LOL iomg omg im still laughing at this guys post, its a GAME get over yourself, how can they fix bugs without taking the server downm lol

instead of whining why not book yourself in for some anger management lol?
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relevance View Post
The ignorance of this is astounding... Did you ever play mass effect 1? it took about 9 months for them to finally... finally.. fix the glitches that made the game unplayable because of crashes for people who chose to use high-end nvidia cards
I did in fact, I've played just about everything Bioware has ever released since 1997. And I have yet to be disappionted. IMO, Bioware is one of the most reliable developers out there.

Also, it's not so much the Queues, but the fact that you have to queue up to join after the server drops you, over and over again.

Also, ignore Sephirius, he's just a troll.

and to whoever wants my stuff, it's just noob stuff considering the server got wiped last week and I've only played maybe four straight hours in the past 2 1/2 days.
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylander View Post
Also note, to the moron again:

Bioware, to date, has done console games and port-to-pc games... IE standalone games.

Go back to WoW kiddo. It is calling you. can you hear it?

Funny though. This guy sounds like a heroin addict who misplaced his stash.
That is completely wrong. Bioware started with PC games, among them, Neverwinter Nights. It was a pure PC product too. They were not standalone either, they had multiplayer capability, but agreed, not MMO level.
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-31-2010, 05:54 PM
We'll see you later tonight or tomorrow when the server comes back up.

If you do come back you owe the community an apology for the hissy fit.
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Lol...all these people jumping to the defence of STO's shoddy performance and capacity issues make me cringe. Let's look at some things to consider:

Cryptic is not new at this MMO business so why are they getting bit in the arse by capacity and performance issues - it's not as though all this server technology is new to them? Cryptic also hasn't had to write an MMO engine from scratch. STO is using the Champions Online engine, so why isn't this engine more stable? Do they learn nothing from past efforts at creating and launching an MMO?

Cryptic know EXACTLY how many active accounts there are. You have to activate your account on their own account server before you can play. It's a simple matter of counting how many accounts are active to get a figure to subsequently judge how much hardware you need.

I'll give Cryptic some leeway here in response time though, so they can react to surges in subscribers by ordering new hardware and adding it to the system. Let's be generous and give them 5 working days to sort out queue and log-in problems, though I would expect an experienced MMO developer to have planned ahead and have arrangements with server hardware suppliers in place to speedily provide additional hardware sooner. This means the issues we are having with queues, disconnects and other log-in problems should be gone in a week. Let's see if that happens.

Most MMO developers are happy to release unstable, buggy as hell products at launch instead of delaying the game until it's reasonably problem-free, you know, like most single player game developers do. The fact it's an MMO is irrelevent to the overall concept of releasing stable, good quality software that people pay for.

The reasons why MMO devs are happy to do this is because of the large number of apathetic, "Ho hum, it's just the way things are with MMOs" people in the world, they really are all willing to take the full-fist when it comes to getting the goods you pay for. MMO devs basically know they can get away with releasing patently unfinished, unpolished products to retail because of these apathetic masses. I suspect these people are the kind of individual that will sit, cowed and quiet, in a restaraunt, unwlling to complain when provided with sub-standard service...and still give a generous tip when it's time to pay up

Here's a thought. Considering how the majority of MMOs release in such relatievly shoddy state time after time despite previous experience in the industry, and considering how they remain in a poor state weeks after launch, why not at least give the client away free and just do away with free month play?

As it is I've paid 39.99 for an obviously shoddy product and service (that's about 4 months of subs fees). I'd much rather just get the client free and pay 8.99 for a month at the start to see if the product and service turns out to be worth retaining my subscription
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grtishord
I can see Queues working but if this is true then why all the rampant disconnects and failure to launch instances? If the queues were to prevent this then why is it still occuring? I agree that they have a shot (slim but there) of fixing these problems before launch. It will take downtime, more servers, this is the headstart for those of us who pre-bought. What is going to happen Tuesday at 10AM PST when the thousands more who didn;t want to pre-buy come in like barbarians crashing the gate?
Probably all that is needed is more headroom on the servers (i.e., more processing power, more robust components); they clearly can't handle the present traffic. I'm also not clear on this "shard" set-up. Is it multiple servers linked to one central hub in some kind of distributed I/O arrangement, or is it more complex than that? Is this a more economical ("cheaper") or more efficient way to do it (or both)? Does that mean the log-in server is the choke-point? Or is it just that the aggregate hardware array is under-powered for the demand and needs to be expanded? Seems like software tweaks from now until launch would be too little too late to fix this.
Lt. Commander
# 38
01-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Welcome to an MMO release, they always have problems. I've personally done WoW, ****, and *** on release and they all had issues with downtime, disconnects, and queues.

**** in particular was bad for several weeks, with queues on the most popular servers getting to 3-4 hours during the evenings and weekends.

All things considered, this has been decently smooth, and I'm just glad I got some time in on the headstart.

Some people will leave, flame, or whatever, such is the MMO experience.

For 5 bucks I got to do some open beta, get a headstart, and decide for sure to give this game a shot without buying the 50 dollar box on release.

Not a bad deal, not a bad deal at all.