Lt. Commander
# 11
01-31-2010, 07:43 AM
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 07:56 PM
t different computers to build and I can't figgure out how desil a video card I need. I'm trying to narrow it down between the nVidia GeForce GTX260, ATI Radeon HD 5770, ATI Radeon HD 4850. I have no idea which is better. I'm having trouble understanding how to compair them and the websites I'm looking at don't even mention the vid cards on the STO website for recomended or minimum. Which of these will do the job and or is better and will last longer?
Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymo0829 View Post
i figgure it will struggle, but will it run? i'm looking at getting a new comp. in a few months.
or, more to the point, WILL IT BLEND?

btw, you'll need a new system.
As for graphics cards, get the GTX260 (the core 216 if you can)
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 09:14 PM
thanks! I just ordered a new computer
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 10:01 PM
Quote:
yeah, it looks like my computer will not run the game. Any ideas where I can get something good under a grand? I'm looking at dell and not thrilled. Are there any other places I can get a full comp?
Do some research on how to build a computer (plenty of techie sites up and around) and then order the parts from newegg and/or tigerdirect

Get a friend who has an OS (if you have to buy it, stick to XP it'll be cheaper and do just fine).

The best bang for the buck in terms of raw gaming performance vs price ratio, for a CPU is an intel core 2 duo E8400

The best GPU? A GTX 260, though it's a little pricey still, a ATI 4850 will do just fine for STO and most games out there atm.

Also don't underestimate the importance of a quality power supply unit.

Quote:
t different computers to build and I can't figgure out how desil a video card I need. I'm trying to narrow it down between the nVidia GeForce GTX260, ATI Radeon HD 5770, ATI Radeon HD 4850. I have no idea which is better. I'm having trouble understanding how to compair them and the websites I'm looking at don't even mention the vid cards on the STO website for recomended or minimum. Which of these will do the job and or is better and will last longer?
Thanks!
The ATI HD 5770 is the best of the bunch, but any of those will do just fine for any game besides crysis on very high settings. Also depends on what your monitor resolution is (higher resolutions are more demanding on the GPU, it can make a big difference).