Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgeek View Post
the closest thing I've found to grinding in STO are the Enemy Signal Contact missions

Since there is a 5 minute restart between each running of one go through of the instance, you can just fly around between them and kill enemies of your level or better to get a few more xp. And since the entire mission itself is repeatable..
Yup, or hop instances to one in-progress, or one with a lower timer.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronas
It's called freedom and choice for whatever you want to do. You know. What MMO's usually offer.
They usually really don't.
In WoW, at least, either you do storyline quests once or stand in one spot while you whack a million NPCs with your sword. Maybe others offer more variety.. but not that I've seen.

STO offers storyline missions, repeatable missions, and grinding by way of sector defense missions. You can also level quite quickly through PvP, which isn't always an option.

Quote:
Isn't doing the same repeatable missions over and over and over and over (between the few story mission arcs that are available) not a grind then? Just saying.
Pretty much. You can grind PvE or PvP to level up, if you so choose. A lot of the story missions seem to be somewhat repeatable as well, though I don't know if you get the same rewards after the first time.

It's bugged right now so I can't test but...
If he wants to grind on the ground, there's always Breaking the Ice; the ground-based fleet action. Repeatable however many times he wants, for however long he wants.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
next thing im going to hear is can we afk grind...

Yes we can do this
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMove View Post
Game feels and plays like a single player game, and I f im gonna play a single player sci fy game then Im gonna play Mass Effect 2.
Sure, if you don't group up with people it's gonna feel like a singleplayer game. Get into some groups... it gets more challenging with more players as the mission difficulty scales up.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkalius80
Sure, if you don't group up with people it's gonna feel like a singleplayer game. Get into some groups... it gets more challenging with more players as the mission difficulty scales up.
That's turning into an odd dynamic.
On the surface it sounds like a good idea to scale things down so a person can do it alone.... but at the same time that takes away from the multiplayer feel. I wonder if people don't occasionally have to be forced to group together in order to maintain the MMO feel.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikaelus View Post
That's turning into an odd dynamic.
On the surface it sounds like a good idea to scale things down so a person can do it alone.... but at the same time that takes away from the multiplayer feel. I wonder if people don't occasionally have to be forced to group together in order to maintain the MMO feel.
Well there are the fleet actions and deep space encounters, where you're forced to play with others...

I did a fleet action today where I just decided to start inviting the people around me and we were pretty damn effective and it was a lot of fun and a good challenge. Myself and the guy I first invited to the group were top 2 for damage that round.

I personally raced through the first 10 levels because I'd already done them twice now (once in closed beta and once in open) so I just wanted to get done with them. Now I think I'll start grouping up a bit more because it is definitely more fun.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLocutusXx
next thing im going to hear is can we afk grind...
Well, you can, actually :p
But I won't tell how 'cause it's not soo good for the other players
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_Payne
Well, you can, actually :p
But I won't tell how 'cause it's not soo good for the other players
If your reffering to what I think you are, it got kind of nerfed so now its kind of pointless and people leave. So that level takes over a hour as opposed to 30 minutes haha