Lt. Commander
# 1 Using candidates to train BOs
01-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Hello one and all

I have a question regarding the option of having a BO candidate train one of the other BOs on my bridge.

My science officer has Tachyon Beam I as ensign skill and Tractor Beam II as Lieutenant skill. One of the skills of my new candidates is Tachyon Beam II.

Wonderful, I thought, I'll train my current BO because all I really want is that skill. But when I clicked, instead of offering to switch Tachyon Beam I with Tachyon Beam II, it wanted to remove Tractor Beam II instead.

I assume it has something to do with the skill level of a skill, but how can I tell from looking at a candidate which "rank" it goes under? And what about candidates who don't have all 4 of either ground or space filled out with skills?

I like the option of molding the BOs into whatever we want, but its a little unclear how.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-31-2010, 11:29 PM
Tachyon Beam II is a Lieutenant-level power, so it can only replace your bridge officer's Lieutenant-level power (which just happens to be Tractor Beam II). If you go to the skills page of your officer, you'll see that all of their powers are sorted by rank.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Yeah, that's what I kinda guessed, but now it's confirmed. Thanks.

But what I'm also interested in knowing, is how I can tell with a candidate which skills belong to which ranks? And what if a candidate doesn't have 4 skills listed in both ground and space? I think I've seen that, in aliens predominantly.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 02:17 AM
I do the same thing as for some skills it works cheaper to requisition an officer and train your existing ones that actually do it through the powers vendor.

I hope this gets looked at later on and changed. I think the prices for power train are a bit too high and merits are not as plentiful as energy credits
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskeonkel View Post
Yeah, that's what I kinda guessed, but now it's confirmed. Thanks.

But what I'm also interested in knowing, is how I can tell with a candidate which skills belong to which ranks? And what if a candidate doesn't have 4 skills listed in both ground and space? I think I've seen that, in aliens predominantly.
If he doesn't have 4 listed for ground or space, it is because a power is flagged incorrectly as being the other.

The cases you've seen have probably been Aceton Field, an engineering space power that is flagged as a ground power.