Lt. Commander
# 1 Is This Game For Me?
01-31-2010, 08:46 AM
First, I don't have a lot of time on my hands to level as work and a 2 year old daughter occupy the majority of my time. How is the leveling on here? Also, how is the PvP as I am a PvP junky and could care less about PvE or story lines? Is it free-for-all or simply Klingons vs. Starfleet? Is it zoned, or are you able to fight anywhere? Is PvP only in space or can you have ground combat as well?

Lastly, are you able to start out as a klingon or do you have to get to a certain level before that race is available and re-roll?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 05:19 AM
bump, can anyone help me with my questions. Also, from the looks of it, you can't even get in the game to play due to queues, what's up with that too?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 05:23 AM
I haven't experienced PvP, so I can't give you advice on that. Also we do not know yet if the queues stay in after launch and how severe there are. To get an honest picture you should give the game a few weeks.

However, you might want to look into EVE Online as well. Not because it's better, but I think it's very casual friendly. In EVE, you learn the skills simply by spending time on the, even offline. That means, even if you can only play for 5 hours in a week, you can still advance skillwise. I liked that concept a lot.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby75 View Post
First, I don't have a lot of time on my hands to level as work and a 2 year old daughter occupy the majority of my time. How is the leveling on here? Also, how is the PvP as I am a PvP junky and could care less about PvE or story lines? Is it free-for-all or simply Klingons vs. Starfleet? Is it zoned, or are you able to fight anywhere? Is PvP only in space or can you have ground combat as well?

Lastly, are you able to start out as a klingon or do you have to get to a certain level before that race is available and re-roll?
PvP isn't free for all, but you can fight klingon against starfleet or klingon vs klingon. There are space and ground pvp scenarios. You have to get to lvl 6 (or complete a specific quest) to unlock the klingon race. A casual player like yourself (I'm in the same boat with 2 kids and my youngest being a 14 mo. old).

It's casual where it needs to be which is what I like. I can hop on for an hour or so and complete a few missions without having to back-trace what I did the last time I was on so I know what I'm supposed to do.

PvP is zoned and has a queue system to join pvp scenarios. I've found that PvP is a little shallow but tremendous fun. PvE missions sometimes feel like a grind (with some missions taking over half an hour to complete with around a dozen different parts to it). All in all, I've found STO to be a great mmo for casual players and great loads of fun. I'm not a fan of star trek movies and all but the game is fun.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus
I haven't experienced PvP, so I can't give you advice on that. Also we do not know yet if the queues stay in after launch and how severe there are. To get an honest picture you should give the game a few weeks.

However, you might want to look into EVE Online as well. Not because it's better, but I think it's very casual friendly. In EVE, you learn the skills simply by spending time on the, even offline. That means, even if you can only play for 5 hours in a week, you can still advance skillwise. I liked that concept a lot.
Eve Online is not for the casual player at all man, Have you ever played it?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabereiser View Post
PvP isn't free for all, but you can fight klingon against starfleet or klingon vs klingon. There are space and ground pvp scenarios. You have to get to lvl 6 (or complete a specific quest) to unlock the klingon race. A casual player like yourself (I'm in the same boat with 2 kids and my youngest being a 14 mo. old).

It's casual where it needs to be which is what I like. I can hop on for an hour or so and complete a few missions without having to back-trace what I did the last time I was on so I know what I'm supposed to do.

PvP is zoned and has a queue system to join pvp scenarios. I've found that PvP is a little shallow but tremendous fun. PvE missions sometimes feel like a grind (with some missions taking over half an hour to complete with around a dozen different parts to it). All in all, I've found STO to be a great mmo for casual players and great loads of fun. I'm not a fan of star trek movies and all but the game is fun.
Those longer missions are part of the episodes, they flow into one another, the shorter ones are the heres XP missions.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Cool, thanks for the replies everyone. Is the PvP only space battles or do actually train your char and can pvp on the ground as well?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Hey Gumby,

First off, you have to get a Fed character to level 6 in order to make a Klingon. This will get you through the tutorial and teach you how to play and get you going on some content so when you play a Klingon, you'll know what you are doing.

Starting a Klingon, you'll start off at a higher level and your ship will have better gear.

PvP is very fun, and doesn't take long. In fact, for Klingons, it is the main focus for leveling. Feds can focus on it too if they so wish.

Edit: Yes, you can pvp on ground too.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby75 View Post
Cool, thanks for the replies everyone. Is the PvP only space battles or do actually train your char and can pvp on the ground as well?
There are ground based PVP maps as well.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaDark View Post
Hey Gumby,

First off, you have to get a Fed character to level 6 in order to make a Klingon. This will get you through the tutorial and teach you how to play and get you going on some content so when you play a Klingon, you'll know what you are doing.

Starting a Klingon, you'll start off at a higher level and your ship will have better gear.

PvP is very fun, and doesn't take long. In fact, for Klingons, it is the main focus for leveling. Feds can focus on it too if they so wish.

Edit: Yes, you can pvp on ground too.
And to add to quoted poster, Klingons, at the moment are slightly stronger in PvP at Tier 1, because their starting gear is better then what the average Federation player will have, but it does even out in Tier 2. Yes, there is ground combat PvP, but IMO, it just isn't as fun as space FvK PvP when you have to semi good groups using strategy going at each other.