Lt. Commander
I know there are many, many other things that need priority now, but one thing that bugs me when bringing up a new character is the promotion process through to Lt. Commander.

We all start out as Ensigns (through the tutorial and a couple of missions there after), but are quickly promoted to Lieutenant. There is really no announcment made in game about this. Just poof, you look up and there you are with two pips next to your name in the bar at the top of the screen.

It would be nice to make a logical step out of this process. How about keeping us as Ensigns through the tutorial, but when we arrive at Earth spacedock and talk with Admiral Quinn he actually announces our field promotion to Lieutenant for the great job we did with the whole Borg mess and permanent command of our own starship.

Technically we should be Lieutenant, Junior Grade (one black pip, one solid pip) at this point through to Lieutenant Grade 5. At Lieutenant Grade 6 (when we get our first Bridge Officer reward and unlock Klingon content), we are officially promoted to full Lieutenant (two solid pips). This doesn't make any difference with the skills set, but it would be a nice way to pat the player on the back (and make use of the Lieutenant J.G. pips in the uniform change screen) during his/her progression. The text for the promotion to full Lieutenant would be easy to add, since there is already a triggered text message when you make Grade 6.

Make sense?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 04:09 AM
I think they may have planned this and just got it wrong - i.e. a bug that is low priority to fix. Why do I think this?

Because I'm at Lt Grade 5 right now, and if I hover over the skill bar, it says my next grade is "Lt Commander 1" - and I don't think that is right at all. So they seem to have some kind of promotion point as you go into level 6, but it isn't correctly coded.

What annoys me is that you have to spend energy credits to correct your rank pips on your uniform - that should be free.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhunedd
I think they may have planned this and just got it wrong - i.e. a bug that is low priority to fix. Why do I think this?

Because I'm at Lt Grade 5 right now, and if I hover over the skill bar, it says my next grade is "Lt Commander 1" - and I don't think that is right at all. So they seem to have some kind of promotion point as you go into level 6, but it isn't correctly coded.

What annoys me is that you have to spend energy credits to correct your rank pips on your uniform - that should be free.
The whole way through the Lt rank it said both my next grade and my next rank were Lt Cmd. I think this is a bug that's new since beta.

Interestingly, I just made Lt Cmdr and went to change the pips on my uniform...and it was free. I don't know if they changed it to make it free, or if I just got lucky with a bug somehow . It wasn't free to change the pips on my newly promoted BO, though.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 04:56 AM
Bridge officer changes are only ever free the first time I believe. On the other hand its coded so you get a free uniform change everytime you rank up, its been like this since the last couple of open beta patches.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 05:33 AM
I would've liked a bit more fanfare when hitting Lt as well. The writing kind of glosses over that little bit while going on about getting your own starship...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhunedd
Yeah, that's been bugged for me since Open Beta. Once I hit lt cmdr it shows the correct information though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 06:45 AM
When I went to change my uniform rank after getting promoted, I noticed there are now more rank options. There are LTJG, and also Chief ranks available. I wonder if something's going to change in the future or if this is just for RP purposes.