Lt. Commander
Hi there,

short and sweet, my suggestion for handling the queue is to do it the same way as you-know-what-game handles it, because it is simply the correct way:

- your slot on the server is immediately free if you exit the program correctly (i.e. no crash) - when you use the exit-button or just press Alt-F4.

but in case of a crash (and sto KNOWS when it crashed - you have seen the "crash reporter" dialog??), THIS MODEL here has to take place:

- If you are online and playing and you get kicked for whatever reason, your slot on the server stays active for 3-to-5 minutes. So when you quickly log in again after the crash you are back on the server where you've been right before.

- wow (ups! i said the name) handles it for 5 minutes, so you can even reboot your pc after a real bad crash and still can avoid the queue.

there is NO point, really absolutely NO point when playing and the game crashes that you have to wait an hour or i-don't-know-for-how-long until you can re-join back in again!

imagine you are in a group or playing with friends, doing some quests, whatever - YOU HAVE THE SLOT because very likely YOU ALREADY HAD YOUR TIME IN THE QUEUE before you were allowed to login finally. now your slot may not go away due to a game crash or a re-log to another character.

just my 2 cent.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 07:07 AM
Um, what happens if the shard you were on goes down and the other shards are full?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 07:09 AM
that's unlucky then --- i was just referring to GAME (i.e. "GameClient") crashes.

when a server-shard goes down you had bad luck - but someone has to fill the queues up finally, eh?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 07:13 AM
At the time of all the Queue problems only one of the four shards was up.
But I aggree that some kind of connection cookie system would make sense to allow crashed or disconnected clients to reconnect.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 07:19 AM
It seemed yesterday that at the peak of the queue that I would get randomly kicked, and then have to sit in a queue. Hopefully that was just some instability on the part of the server causing me to lose connection and not something built in to the queue system. Players should not be getting kicked off so another person can log in (unless AFK and the system for that works fine).

It needs to be said again that Cryptic sorely underestimated the Trek Nation, and demand for this game. Additional hardware to support a single game server, or even better, additional game servers, is sorely needed. The writing was on the wall and we pointed it out during closed beta, again several times in open beta, and it's coming to a T in head start. I'm in it for life, no threats of taking my business elsewhere. I simply want what's best for the health of the gaming community and this game, and a minimum of three regional game servers is needed in my opinion, to handle the demand.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieko View Post
It seemed yesterday that at the peak of the queue that I would get randomly kicked, and then have to sit in a queue. Hopefully that was just some instability on the part of the server causing me to lose connection and not something built in to the queue system. Players should not be getting kicked off so another person can log in (unless AFK and the system for that works fine).

It needs to be said again that Cryptic sorely underestimated the Trek Nation, and demand for this game. Additional hardware to support a single game server, or even better, additional game servers, is sorely needed. The writing was on the wall and we pointed it out during closed beta, again several times in open beta, and it's coming to a T in head start. I'm in it for life, no threats of taking my business elsewhere. I simply want what's best for the health of the gaming community and this game, and a minimum of three regional game servers is needed in my opinion, to handle the demand.
Same thing happened to me.
I was kicked as well as members of my fleet I was with.
I think the shard we were on crashed, that implies a serius instability problem somewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 09:04 AM
yes but as long as we don't have visible information about the shard we are on or as long as we aren't allowed to CHOOSE "our" shard, the only way to go in case of a shard-crash is to simply re-join the queue (i think)