Lt. Commander
Currently I have all slots filled with Disrupter Beam Arrays and it seems like a good idea.
I do not have that great final blast as you would get with a torpedo, but my three MK II beam arrays burn through all I put them on. Anyone else doing this ?

I'm doubting between this or the two beam arrays in front and torpedo in the back.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulch View Post
Currently I have all slots filled with Disrupter Beam Arrays and it seems like a good idea.
I do not have that great final blast as you would get with a torpedo, but my three MK II beam arrays burn through all I put them on. Anyone else doing this ?

I'm doubting between this or the two beam arrays in front and torpedo in the back.
The problem with the torpedo in the back is that will rely on a technique of blasting crap out of the enemy shields, hutling past, launching a torpedo... to hit their unaffected shields at the back / side of the ship. Which is a little naff..

One torpedo launcher at the front, and a turret at the back means every weapon can fire at forward foes 9within the large arc), and if you use beams, have a massive firing arc.

The turret can then carry on the damage constantly as you are turning around.

I personally dont bother with torpedoes at all, yeah they give a great burst of damage, but i prefer the controlled destruction offered by beams / disruptors etc so I can plan my route away from the explosion
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 07:42 AM
I also use all beam weapons. I also like the sheer maneuverability of it, since it allows me to circle and fire all my weapons. It also works great if you have a dedicated friend with you who has multiple torpedo banks...I drop the shields, he zooms in and plugs them with quantums. Good times.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 07:46 AM
all phasers here. love it over torps.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 07:52 AM
I got lucky with a blue dual heavy disrupter cannon and happily replaced my torp bay with it. So I now have full coverage dirupter banks + the dual canons. I can take stuff out much quicker and consistantly than with the torps.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Why would you not use a weapon that gives up to 10x damage? When you hit with a beam on an enemy ship that has its shields down you hit for 400-500 max (fully buffed) with a torp you will hit for 2-4k damage with a photon. With a plasma fully buffed you can hit for 10k damage. Why would you want to give that up?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 08:01 AM
I think both are viable choices. My reasoning was this:

1) Using full phaser arrays allows basically complete coverage all around me.

2) I can drop shields almost instantly on anything less than a battleship.

3) If I really need to drop someone FAST, once the shields are down I can use the Beam Overload power and hit them for almost the same damage as a torpedo. this DOES require then using a weapon battery to get back up to full, but I've gotten used to it.

4) I'm a science ship (or at least I WILL be once I get out of this Miranda class) and it's useful to be able to constantly rotate my ship and not have to worry about needing to go head-on to fire my torpedoes. A small point but meh.

With all that said I do miss the burst damage of a torpedo bank. I think I'll stick with my laser beams though
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 08:18 AM
I must be a lore based kind of person, because I don't use disruptors on my federation ships in general or phasers on my Klingon ones for that mattter. For the light cruiser I stick with the default combo of a torp in front and beam front and back. With torpedo overload (which should be up almost constantly) you get a huge alpha burst and I prefer the greater coverage of beam weapons so that I can circle and keep 2 beams on them at all times, occasionally jigging back for 2 torps if I feel the need. The limited cone for disruptors/cannon mean for me they aren't quite as effective as you end up being very forward shield based which means you hit harder at first, but then the turning fight takes a lot longer. Only one of my toons is up to 11 so far, but for the science ship I went to mines for my rear 2nd slot although I'm not quite convinced of their utility other than as a fire and forget. I know for pve for controlling the circle fight Im often able to completely avoid whatever mines that are laid down unless I'm following on their tail for the final kill.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 09:07 AM
From the little I have seen so far it seems all beams would be a better choice for a science vessel selection and might work well with that orientation. The battles will be more about power rerouting/conservation etc... than just raw power. So far though power has generally not been a problem for most ship/system set-ups I have heard people discussing. This may change in the later stages of the game of course and in that case this set up (beams) could become problematic.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 09:32 AM
playing as a [u]CRUISERU] (forum dwellers like to miss the important parts of a post) I prefer a beam and torp in the front and back mainly because in pvp klinks like to stay right behind you and there is nothing you can do about it if your evasive maneuvers is on cooldown (attack pattern alpha doesnt have enough oomph to outmaneuver a bird of prey). so having just as much firepower in the rear as in the front helps me out in that situation. assuming i survived the alpha strike (yeah right)