Lt. Commander
Cryptic, if you need to implement each mission as instance at least make it so it feels like playing a MMO. It just sucks leaving the PC for about 20 minutes for whatever reasons just to find yourself logged out automatically and all progress into a mission lost. This is nowhere near any MMO experience I had. MMOs are intended to offer a static world. If I decide to leave the game at 2/10 generic foes killed my progress should stay even if I log out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 10:28 AM
VERY MUCH AGREED....

Even single player games give us a save option...
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 10:33 AM
maybe dont step away till your done with that section that would have taken you 5 more minutes...cuz it does save between zones.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai420 View Post
maybe dont step away till your done with that section that would have taken you 5 more minutes...cuz it does save between zones.
It absolutely saves between zones. Most zones can be completed in roughly 10 minute increments, I have found.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckarooBanzai420 View Post
way to go defending a less than ideal game mechanic, woot!

As for me, I agree with the OP. the missions are slow and are becoming ever more monotonous as time goes by, it is less torturous for us to have to restart a 40 minute episode.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
It's perfectly ideal to me.

I don't mind having to restart a section of an episode, since I still get to keep the skill points, Bridge Officer Points and any loot acquired.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post

As for me, I agree with the OP. the missions are slow and are becoming ever more monotonous as time goes by, it is less torturous for us to have to restart a 40 minute episode.
How is it less than ideal? Cryptic isn't making you go AFK, and it's no different than timed missions in any other MMO out there. You lose progress if decide to waddle out to the kitchen to see if anyone restocked the ho-ho's.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelzie View Post
It's perfectly ideal to me.

I don't mind having to restart a section of an episode, since I still get to keep the skill points, Bridge Officer Points and any loot acquired.
repeating a mission for the same amount of skill points is something that will get nerfed in the future. Cryptic has stated that repeating a mission offers diminishing returns. So the benefit of double xp for a single mission is not intended.

It is less than ideal for those of us who want to complete the mission and move on to other things. Sure, it would be ideal if you could loop around in a mission that took only 2 minutes to complete, but those are far and few between.

And to my knowledge the skill points you get are miniscule in comparison to actually completing the episode... so why kill a few gorn over and over for small returns when you could just complete the mission faster and get a much larger skill point return? That to me, does not seem ideal.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
How is it less than ideal? Cryptic isn't making you go AFK, and it's no different than timed missions in any other MMO out there. You lose progress if decide to waddle out to the kitchen to see if anyone restocked the ho-ho's.
Trouble is, most missions in other MMOs are not timed. Why does every single episode in STO have to be treated as such. Also, refer to the reasons above.

If I get disconnected, or my dog starts begging me to take her outside so she can do her business and then I have to wait thirty minutes for her to find that PERFECT spot... its just no fun to come back to STO have to log in and see that the progress for the mission i was working on is gone. The ultimate goal is to complete the scenarios so you can get the bulk of skill points for completing the mission. Having to restart only sets us back from that goal. This to me is not ideal.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Wouldn't the instance have to be left open that entire time to compensate? More MMOs close an instance down if you are logged out for a certain period of time or leave to prevent server lag from keeping hundreds of empty instances running.