Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 10:42 AM
I would have killed for a DS9 marathon today.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
It could have been worse, instead of using the TPD, they could have pulled a "Dallas" or "St Elsewhere" and all the events they wanted undone could have been merely a dream.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
But the design DOES lend itself to later models. Compare the similarities between NX-01 and NCC-1701. Long, narrow prominent struts that rise high over the saucer. Simple cylindrical nacelles. A rough hull, more lending itself to present technology than the sleek designs of the 24th century. The only thing that looks more "futuristic" than the Constitution class is the way the top decks of the saucer round off, much like the Galaxy class, but we can chalk that up to better CGI effects.

I think the designers did a spectacular job with NX-01, but it may seem out of place simply because the CGI effects are decades ahead of those in TOS (that is to say, nonexistant in TOS). But what were they going to do, use a crappy model and virtually no CGI just to make it seem "more primitive than TOS?" That'd be stupid.
Not really. NX-01 looks very much like like a TNG+ design that's been down rated to TOS styling. The issue to me, it that she looks MORE modern than NCC-1701. It's an issue I can forgive, because if they'd made something that look truly pre-TOS, it would have just looked stupid.

That said, I was never happy with the Akira Class "throw forward." The Akira is an awesome ship design. With a little stylistic updating, she could easily be the star of a post TNG series. I wouldn't mind seeing an updated concept in the reboot style. But Enterprise should have new. something we hadn't seen before. The producers tried to conjure off of the popularity of the Akira, and that was mistake.

I remember reading TV guide, when they discussed the mild weakness in DS9's ratings and the decision to give the show a starship to punch things up a bit. Then a month or two later, there was an article on that starship. I remember thinking, "this is too different, it's not very Trek." The Defiant turned out to be liquid awesome.

Enterprise's producers were not limited to fan expectations, even those of us who were hoping for some miracle where they made a throw back that didn't actually look so dated as to ruin the suspension of disbelief. And if NX-01 had been the kind of awesome that Defiant was, I suspect we could have forgiven her for looking as she did. (Note, I don't mean as powerful as Defiant. With NX-01 they should have gone, IMO, with a nod to the Millennium Falcon. Rather than making her weak compared to everything else in space they should have made her slightly more powerful, in many respects. And she should have had interesting, and drama raising break downs from being a bit too advanced.)

Don't get me wrong. I don't hate Enterprise. She's not a bad looking ship. But like Defiant, she has issues, and the production team didn't giver her enough awesome or personality to overcome those issues.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Why can't someone just enjoy a TV Show for what it is? Everything has flaws. Get over it. Suspend disbelief.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 10:49 AM
television is srs bsns thats why
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungin_garbonzo
i liked enterprise
too bad you didn't
This sums it up nicely.

Some like it and some don't.
Thank hell that people have different opinion or we would all be wearing the same clothes, watch the same shows, buy the same things... Kinda like *insert something about Apple here*. :p
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I can never get past that Theme song.... by the time it's done I am already in a less than receptive mood.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
It could have been worse, instead of using the TPD, they could have pulled a "Dallas" or "St Elsewhere" and all the events they wanted undone could have been merely a dream.
Apparently you didn't see the final episode of Enterprise.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Enterprise NX-01

Akira class

Enterprise NX-01 blueprint

Akira class blueprint

Yes, their pylon and hull design is similar in that two separated beams support the drive section, but that's where the similarities end.
if its not broke, dont fix it.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaowstrike View Post
Apparently you didn't see the final episode of Enterprise.
Even I had the brains to understand why they did that.

And the nx-01 was a stable, reliable ship, just like every other enterprise.