Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
repeating a mission for the same amount of skill points is something that will get nerfed in the future. Cryptic has stated that repeating a mission offers diminishing returns. So the benefit of double xp for a single mission is not intended.

It is less than ideal for those of us who want to complete the mission and move on to other things. Sure, it would be ideal if you could loop around in a mission that took only 2 minutes to complete, but those are far and few between.

And to my knowledge the skill points you get are miniscule in comparison to actually completing the episode... so why kill a few gorn over and over for small returns when you could just complete the mission faster and get a much larger skill point return? That to me, does not seem ideal.
You don't get mission xp for killing the mission mobs, though. You can't complete the mission more than once, just kill npcs more than once. You could accomplish the same thing by repeatedly doing fleet actions without taking the actual mission for it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
repeating a mission for the same amount of skill points is something that will get nerfed in the future. Cryptic has stated that repeating a mission offers diminishing returns. So the benefit of double xp for a single mission is not intended.

It is less than ideal for those of us who want to complete the mission and move on to other things. Sure, it would be ideal if you could loop around in a mission that took only 2 minutes to complete, but those are far and few between.

And to my knowledge the skill points you get are miniscule in comparison to actually completing the episode... so why kill a few gorn over and over for small returns when you could just complete the mission faster and get a much larger skill point return? That to me, does not seem ideal.
This would not be affected by a loss of a mission instance as only completing a mission counts towards diminishing returns.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
repeating a mission for the same amount of skill points is something that will get nerfed in the future. Cryptic has stated that repeating a mission offers diminishing returns. So the benefit of double xp for a single mission is not intended.
I think you're confusing XP types here, Diminishing returns are already here. You complete a mission, but you want to help your friend do the same mission later, he can share the quest you completed but it says right on there that you won't get as much XP.

The poster was referring to Bridge officer XP which has no limit and has no way to reset w/o losising the xp completely. You know the 1 or 2(goes up with level i beleive) points you get when you pop an enemy ship. This should be fairly harmless

TBH the save between stages is fine imo, but the log off timer has to be increased again. It used to be 30min before they hit the server trouble in beta. I'd guess they'll bring it more inline when they can, now that a queue is in pace and once they get the servers sorted.

For the moment kicking inactive players early is probably the best solution they have to lighten the load. Just hope it doesn't stay.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
You don't get mission xp for killing the mission mobs, though. You can't complete the mission more than once, just kill npcs more than once. You could accomplish the same thing by repeatedly doing fleet actions without taking the actual mission for it.
i'm not really sure we are on the same page.

first, i know you dont get mission xp for killing individual mission mobs (although you do get a miniscule amount of skill points). what matters is passing each element in order to complete the mission. so if i kill 8 out of 9 gorn ships... and i get disconnected... when I log back in, there are times when i find myself outside of the system i was in, have to re-enter the mission instance, and start all over again. The OP is saying, that in WoW, if you kill 8 out of 9 rats... if you logged out and came back later, your progression will still be 8 out of 9 rats. Kill one more, then your done and get the mission reward! Sto however, you have to do it all over again. Not ideal.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Things happen that you need to get up for and may be away longer. Yes the autoboot is there to get people waiting in queues into the game now, but saving progress should be there. Not all things only take 10 minutes...and with the Klingons, one of their main ways of getting xp with the Kahless Expanse/Azure Nebula...you have to do it 3 times and wait 5 minutes for resets. So it takes about 30+ minutes to do these.
And not just saving when auto logged, but when the Take Item button is on the right hand side when still in combat mode, and then you go to click and you just get out of combat and it changes to warp out and it doesn't ask you "Are you sure you want to leave the sector?" like missions do and you warp out and now start all over again. That really ticks a lot of people off.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredric View Post
I think you're confusing XP types here, Diminishing returns are already here. You complete a mission, but you want to help your friend do the same mission later, he can share the quest you completed but it says right on there that you won't get as much XP.

The poster was referring to Bridge officer XP which has no limit and has no way to reset w/o losising the xp completely. You know the 1 or 2(goes up with level i beleive) points you get when you pop an enemy ship. This should be fairly harmless

TBH the save between stages is fine imo, but the log off timer has to be increased again. It used to be 30min before they hit the server trouble in beta. I'd guess they'll bring it more inline when they can, now that a queue is in pace and once they get the servers sorted.

For the moment kicking inactive players early is probably the best solution they have to lighten the load. Just hope it doesn't stay.
Well I dont really know what people are talking about anymore. All of what I was saying, was in defense of the OP's sentiments which I agree with. So sorry for the confusion however that happened.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
Well I dont really know what people are talking about anymore. All of what I was saying, was in defense of the OP's sentiments which I agree with. So sorry for the confusion however that happened.
No worries, I wasn't trying to be critical, if i came across as that i'm sorry. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.


I was trying to clarify it a bit that there are two different skill points, the Captain (you) Skill points and then the Bridge officer skills points. When the poster said that you could gain extra XP he was referring to the Bridge officer skills points from my understanding of what he wrote.

Captain XP is only awarded when you complete the mission and does have diminished returns is the try to run it again. You were complete correct.

BO SP you get anytime to pop a ship, that's the XP he was talking about when you stop and start a mission w/o completing it. You could farm this xp in fleet or deep space encounters i believe.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
There are "save points" after each portion of the mission you complete.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:41 AM.