Lt. Commander
# 1 Lawsuit.
02-01-2010, 11:09 AM
There seems to be alot of people who react to things they don't like in game by threatening a lawsuit with Cryptic.When did we ,as a society decide everyone needs to be sued all the time for everything you don't like in the World?Do you know how silly you look when you threaten to sue a game developer becuase the phaser is the wrong color,or the game didn't come out the way you want it,or God forbid,the server is down for a bit.

We have really sunk to new lows when things like this happen.Here is an example of some silly things that most likely came about due to a lawsuit.My wife was eating a tin of smoked oysters and on the side of the tin I noticed it said"warning,product may contain oysters"I was like WTF.You know someone,somewhere sued this oyster company and they had to put that label on the can.Next thing ,all video game companies will need to put somewhere on the EULA that "servers may come down for maintenance from time to time at the companies discretion"Wait,they already say that.Grow up people and stop calling a lawyer everytime you get a percieved wrong in your life.Rant over.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
That oyster thing's probably from the law requiring that allergens have to be stated on the label. It's actually in the EULA somewhere that Crytic reserves the right to deny service at any time, which covers downtime. No one just bothers to read it.

Edit: Bingo., found it:

Quote:
VII. Limitation of Liability

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT THE CRYPTIC STUDIOS PARTIES ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY ACT OR FAILURE TO ACT BY THEM OR ANY OTHER PERSON REGARDING CONDUCT, COMMUNICATION OR CONTENT ON THE SERVICES OR USE OF THE CRYPTIC STUDIOS SITES, SERVICES OR SOFTWARE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH CRYPTIC STUDIOS IS TO STOP USING THE SERVICE, AND TO CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT(S). IN NO CASE SHALL THE LIABILITY OF THE CRYPTIC STUDIOS PARTIES TO YOU EXCEED THE AMOUNT THAT YOU PAID TO CRYPTIC STUDIOS OR ITS DESIGNEES DURING THE PRIOR ONE (1) MONTH PERIOD FOR THE APPLICABLE SERVICES GIVING RISE TO ANY SUCH LIABILITY. IN NO CASE SHALL THE CRYPTIC STUDIOS PARTIES BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE CRYPTIC STUDIOS SITES, SERVICES AND SOFTWARE, THE INTERNET OR FOR ANY OTHER CLAIM RELATED IN ANY WAY TO YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES OR INTERACTIONS WITH CRYPTIC STUDIOS. BECAUSE SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, IN SUCH STATES OR JURISDICTIONS, THE LIABILITY OF CRYPTIC STUDIOS AND THE CRYPTIC STUDIOS PARTIES SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. CRYPTIC STUDIOS DOES NOT ENDORSE, WARRANT OR GUARANTEE ANY THIRD-PARTY PRODUCT OR SERVICE OFFERED THROUGH THE CRYPTIC STUDIOS SITES AND WILL NOT BE A PARTY TO OR IN ANY WAY BE RESPONSIBLE FOR MONITORING ANY TRANSACTION BETWEEN YOU AND THIRD-PARTY PROVIDERS OF PRODUCTS OR SERVICES.

From - http://www.startrekonline.com/terms_of_service
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 11:14 AM
It's like Suburban Commando.

You going to hit me, aren't you?

No way man, this is the 90s. I'm just going to sue you!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 11:15 AM
People who threaten lawsuits do nothing but make themselves look foolish.

We all know they're not really gonna do it. THEY know they're not really gonna do it.

Who are they trying to kid?

-np
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 11:17 AM
because the word lawsuit scares their mommies and daddys so they figure it will scare cryptic too

lol @ armchair lawyers who probably have trouble passing 5th grade English nevermind the bar...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Mmhmm, I have to say I hear it far too much as well. Both online and in "the real world", it really is disheartening. Everything also seems to be about instan tgratification. If people don't get exactly what they want, when they want it - well it's obviously some kind of personal affront to them. Not enough mayo in your chicken burger? It must be an infringement of your human rights....
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Funny thing is, from my experience, most people that start to declare their own rights, usually have no clue as to what they are. They just have their own version of it to suit their current situation.

(All those that worked in retail or sales know what I'm talkin about)
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 11:19 AM
In my opinion, this is when "sue fever" became an epidimic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck...;s_Restaurants
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 11:21 AM
I always wish, someone would make his claim true and actually really SUE the big bad MMO developer. That way, we could link forever to some cool story how the small little Player got smashed in court for his, uh, "self-confidence".
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALCUT View Post
There seems to be alot of people who react to things they don't like in game by threatening a lawsuit with Cryptic.When did we ,as a society decide everyone needs to be sued all the time for everything you don't like in the World?Do you know how silly you look when you threaten to sue a game developer becuase the phaser is the wrong color,or the game didn't come out the way you want it,or God forbid,the server is down for a bit.

We have really sunk to new lows when things like this happen.Here is an example of some silly things that most likely came about due to a lawsuit.My wife was eating a tin of smoked oysters and on the side of the tin I noticed it said"warning,product may contain oysters"I was like WTF.You know someone,somewhere sued this oyster company and they had to put that label on the can.Next thing ,all video game companies will need to put somewhere on the EULA that "servers may come down for maintenance from time to time at the companies discretion"Wait,they already say that.Grow up people and stop calling a lawyer everytime you get a percieved wrong in your life.Rant over.
Sadly, a step backwards for humanity, it likely became largely OK to scream lawsuit shortly after that guy dropped hot coffee in his lap at McDonald's, he sued for injury and won, all because the stupid cup didn't state it was HOT.

I mean we live in a day and age where people call 911 now just because they didn't get a burger exactly the way they wanted to at burger king.

how sad is that?