http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-500-GB-HP-CQ5320F/13377120

http://www.walmart.com/ip/eMachines-...G-03W/12347221

you looking around 500 bucks if that for decent pc and vid card
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntongue
There's no reason to insult someone because they don't have a newer computer.

@OP you can check Newegg.com and you can find all the things (new PC components) you need. It's really not difficult to put one together. If you know someone that is good with PC's then I would ask them for some help. It all depends on what you can afford.

If you have to, I would cancel a pre-order if you have to wait a while to upgrade. Sorry for the difficilty. We've all been there, having something that needs to be replaced. I give my kids my older PC's every 2 years and get myself all the latest and greatest. But they don;t know the difference. My father's PC is 11 years old, he just surfs the net with it.

Good Luck!
I got a system from tigerdirect.com for about 400 that lets me get near 60 FPS in game on a consistent basis. Good deals there, as well as newegg.com

Definitely time for an upgrade OP
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper99991 View Post
I would recommend this if you have the cash and then go get a nivedia 9400GT

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-500-GB-HP-CQ5320F/13377120

http://www.walmart.com/ip/eMachines-...G-03W/12347221

you looking around 500 bucks if that for decent pc and vid card

9400GT's are terrible, and if it comes with that machine, i guarantee it's ddr2 memory which makes it even worse.
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorntongue
There's no reason to insult someone because they don't have a newer computer.

@OP you can check Newegg.com and you can find all the things (new PC components) you need. It's really not difficult to put one together. If you know someone that is good with PC's then I would ask them for some help. It all depends on what you can afford.

If you have to, I would cancel a pre-order if you have to wait a while to upgrade. Sorry for the difficilty. We've all been there, having something that needs to be replaced. I give my kids my older PC's every 2 years and get myself all the latest and greatest. But they don;t know the difference. My father's PC is 11 years old, he just surfs the net with it.

Good Luck!
I agree with Thorntongue. You can find good barebones deals at tigerdirect and tons of components etc at newegg also.
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Well, coderanger has it right: your PC is too old by nearly a decade if I'm reading this dxdiag right. You've got a Thunderbird-type Athlon, seemingly, less than a gig of RAM, and a Geforce 5500? Forget Star Trek, you won't be able to run any modern software. You are going to require an entirely new computer from the ground up if you are serious about playing STO, or indeed any modern gaming software. (Minor edit: And even a SoundBlaster Live? I must be honest, how old is this machine? The newest component seems to be the Geforce 5500, and that's from 2003.)

If you have any local, independent PC shops, go to one and ask them for a quote on a relatively simple machine that can run STO; you can make it cheaper for yourself if you have the operating system install discs from your current PC, as WinXP will still work on modern PCs. (I drove down the price of my recent upgrade by doing this.)

However, you will have absolutely no luck running Star Trek Online on that machine, however, as your hardware is missing multiple key processing components common to modern central processors and graphics processors. (That's the error you're getting, for the record, or at least I think it is: the program is looking for certain SIMD instructions common to all modern microprocessors but completely absent from early-to-mid-model classic Athlons. When the program can't execute these instructions on the central processor, it shuts down.)
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks everyone for your input (minus Moiri because obviously mommy still buys everything for him). I thought I could at least squeeze in. I was told by a friend that was running something similar to mine that he could run it. And just so you all know.......I can run WoW on my comp with little trouble and many other games. Yes it requires some finagling but it can be done.

Is this comp old? Oh very much so, I got it when Windows ME was installed on everything and you had no choice in the matter. I've upgraded the Video and the Ram since then, yes they are UPGRADES from the original. I've known for a long time that I need to get a new comp to do any new game proper justice just thought I'd at least give this one last try cause the graphics don't seem that much more than WoW uses.

Oh well off to newegg and Frye's and drool until I have the money saved up.
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-31-2010, 07:34 PM
isn't WOW 5 years old?
Lt. Commander
# 18
01-31-2010, 11:12 PM
WoW doesn't count, it has very low requirements. I played it on a 12" iBook G4 a few years ago.

Piece of advise: STO on low settings looks absolutely horrible, it might be a good idea not to buy the first cheap new rig you can find.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploute View Post
And just so you all know.......I can run WoW on my comp with little trouble and many other games. Yes it requires some finagling but it can be done.
The trick is, WoW may have been released in 2004 but it was deliberately designed to run on PCs from 2001 or earlier. Blizzard is a big fan of sacrificing some graphical fidelity for a wider available audience (and it helps that they can afford some of the industry's most dedicated crackerjack programming know-how to pull every last inch out of the hardware used as a baseline). STO is in fact significantly more advanced in terms of technology than WoW is, even if screenshots sometimes don't make it seem quite so. (The human-scale characters, for a start, are much more complicated than anything found in WoW.)

At this point, I'd honestly be worried about parts fatigue more than anything; ten years of constant use wears down even the best components, and even your Athlon may be on its last legs. It really is time for a new machine, I'm afraid.