Lt. Commander
# 21
01-31-2010, 04:01 PM
I agree, authenticators should be an option. I saw gold..."energy credit" spam in the last few days of Open Beta. That means game money sellers are hard at work hacking people's accounts.

On a complete side note, if the Federation doesn't have money, then what are "energy credits"?
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilag
I refuse to buy an authenticator unless it looks like a tricorder AND outputs the pin code in LCARS.
If they did the Iphone authenticator thing like wow, they could make it look like LCARS.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyledempster7 View Post
Before hacking becomes a problem in STO i think authenticators should be sold, i'd buy one!
Account "Hacking" becomes only a problem because the account holder has no elementary knowledge of IT security in an era where its supposed to be your first and foremost priority.

It ain't Cryptic job to handhold you, teach you how to secure your login datas, how to surf safe, etc. It's your own job.

If you can play an online game you should at least have some rundementary IT security knowledge. If you don't, tough sheeeet!
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-31-2010, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinmeister View Post
Common sense>authenticators.

Agreed, as a now retired developer myself the days of randomly guessing or brute forcing passwords are long gone. Now days a players stupidity is all that's needed to steal a password.

More often than not, what gets someone hacked is sharing account info with anyone, whether you trust them or not it's a bad idea to ever share your account info.

Buying an account
Sharing account info
Visiting a warez site
installing an addon that uses an .exe
Using 3rd party cracks/hacks
Sharing account info
Visiting a malicious website.
Using a power level service
Sharing account info
Installing an addon with an .exe
Sharing account info
Using password info identical to emails etc
Using stupidly simple passwords, like my all time favorite from when I worked on EnB "1234567"

See the pattern here. No matter what you say, the likelihood of a random bruteforce/guess account hack is so small that you deserve to be shot if it honestly happened to you.

Common sense > all
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-31-2010, 04:13 PM
even with the best percuations and good knowledge it can still happen to the best of us.

9 years in ultima not a single hack, then I was hacked just a few months ago. nothing new changed, nothing could be found with a the deepst scans, (so I did a full format best way to be safe) but goes to show things can slip under the radar.
Lt. Commander
# 26 Why the hostility?
02-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
Account "Hacking" becomes only a problem because the account holder has no elementary knowledge of IT security in an era where its supposed to be your first and foremost priority.

It ain't Cryptic job to handhold you, teach you how to secure your login datas, how to surf safe, etc. It's your own job.

If you can play an online game you should at least have some rundementary IT security knowledge. If you don't, tough sheeeet!
Really?!? This thread is merely a suggestion to Cryptic so it is very hard for me to understand your rude response to what would not (in theory) impact you whatsoever. While you may have the time keep up with your "rundementary" IT security knowledge, some of us don't have the time or luxury to devote a significant amount of time to fully understanding how to properly set up firewalls, proxy servers, et cetera. I used to be a tech geek in college but then I had to go get a job. Therefore, I would rather spend my free time doing things more enjoyable than keeping current on the latest developments in IT security protocol.

I welcome the opportunity to buy an authenticator as I don't wish to deal with the hassle of having my account hacked. Here's an incredible bonus as well, if Cryptic makes the authenticator (which are relatively inexpensive to make) it puts more money in to Cryptic's pockets so then they can in turn spend that money to better STO. For less than 10 USD I can have a little more security and potentially a better game... I'm in!
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-01-2010, 11:45 AM
here's a simple solution....get a mac.

oh wait, sorry wrong thread. I thought this was another thread about windows users getting trojans.