Lt. Commander
# 1 Credits for buying a ship
02-01-2010, 11:24 AM
When you reach the rank of Lt. Commander are you given a ship or do you have to buy it? I have seen that the ships cost at least 20,000 credits. I am level 8 now and I just crossed 10,000 credits. What is the best way to earn credits?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
You get a voucher from the Admiral to pick one ship, so no, you don't have to buy your first ship at LtCmdr.

My character just hit Lt-8 before I logged last night and have about 11k, which is more than I had at that point in OB by about double. By the time I was LtCdmr-2 in OB, I had enough to buy two extra ships and buy some Mk III gear from NPC vendors, and still had some left over. I doubt you'll have money issues unless you are careless or don't loot everything you can.

Edit: I think NPC vendors give more than trashing something to the replicator, and I'm pretty sure some vendors pay less than others, like the Ferengi ones, for example.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 11:34 AM
That's good to know. I was hoping it was like WoW in the sense that the missions will give you most of the things you need so you don't have to waste money on upgrading your ship. I thought I might have to buy my "mount" though
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 11:48 AM
During open beta I was able to afford a second ship around level 15. I am currnetly at Lt Cmdr 1 and have 15k, so affording a second ship soon shouldn't be a problem. I currently have a science ship, but also want a cruiser.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 11:54 AM
Did they change the costs of ships or something? Because a second ship used to cost Starfleet Merit points, which are a lot harder to accumulate than energy credits. You get energy credits from selling looted stuff, Merits are awarded for completing missions.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 11:55 AM
During open beta a t1 ship cost just over 20k energy credits. When I looked yesterday it didn't look to have changed, but I haven't bought my second ship yet. As far as I know it is still the same.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrunner View Post
Did they change the costs of ships or something? Because a second ship used to cost Starfleet Merit points, which are a lot harder to accumulate than energy credits. You get energy credits from selling looted stuff, Merits are awarded for completing missions.
In OB extra ships were energy credits. Haven't looked yet in headstart, so I'm just assuming it's still ECs.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 01:38 PM
At Lt Commander.

- first ship free

- 2nd ship 20k + change

Make sure you pick the one you want the first time, unless you want to fork over 20k for a different model.