Lt. Commander
Hey there,

I have been interested in STO for some time and would like a few things cleared up for me....

I play EVE right now and thoroughly enjoy it however I am a big ST fan and would like to know more about STO.

1) How does death work? Is there an actual death penalty? Is it a cheesy respawn/revive? Is there any real incentives to stay alive and tread lightly or is it a run in and oh no! you died, just fly/run back to the stop to resurrect?
2) Screenshots show credit use... Does the ST universe actually use credits for upgrades or is all the items federation regulation and provided? What about personal items like drinks/etc. Are there replicators present?
3) Open world PVP? Is there anything or is it certain areas? Is there a way I can become an outlaw in a federation starship and raze certain areas?
4) Since there are transporters... could you effectively board, raze and capture other ships a la stealing Klingon birds of prey?
5) "Genesis effect" for star system creation??? Wasn't the genesis project scrapped and stolen?

So far I have been pretty off-put by the fact that all logic from the "Standard" Star Trek universe has been bypassed and am curious about these items before I sign up...
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 11:52 AM
I will answer number one.. There is no death penalty. none
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaize View Post
1) How does death work? Is there an actual death penalty? Is it a cheesy respawn/revive? Is there any real incentives to stay alive and tread lightly or is it a run in and oh no! you died, just fly/run back to the stop to resurrect?
2) Screenshots show credit use... Does the ST universe actually use credits for upgrades or is all the items federation regulation and provided? What about personal items like drinks/etc. Are there replicators present?
3) Open world PVP? Is there anything or is it certain areas? Is there a way I can become an outlaw in a federation starship and raze certain areas?
4) Since there are transporters... could you effectively board, raze and capture other ships a la stealing Klingon birds of prey?
5) "Genesis effect" for star system creation??? Wasn't the genesis project scrapped and stolen?
1. Currently there is no death penalty.
2. Those credits are called energy credits, not cash. It works out the same, but a little more "lore"
3. Not that I've seen. I haven't participated in PvP, but I think it is all battle field stuff.
4. No you can't do that.
5. The Genesis system is just the developers name for their system that creates random missions for exploration effects, it doesn't exist "in game".
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaize View Post
Hey there,

I have been interested in STO for some time and would like a few things cleared up for me....

I play EVE right now and thoroughly enjoy it however I am a big ST fan and would like to know more about STO.

So far I have been pretty off-put by the fact that all logic from the "Standard" Star Trek universe has been bypassed and am curious about these items before I sign up...
1) It doesn't. you respawn with no penaltys
2) You can purchase items useing Credits, & badges,
3) There are certain planets in the neutral zone and klingon space.
4) No not at this time. Not sure if it is on Cryptics drawing board
5) No info if genesis will be in game at this point.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 12:03 PM
1. There is no penalty BUT you will die a lot and I mean a lot. It was designed that way so it is not cheesy.

2. You get energy creds by completing missions.

3. PvP is only in certain areas so you will always have someone else to fight.

4. No.

5. The Genesis system is for the developers so don't worry about it.

AND one other thing. This is nothing like EVE and if you want to play EVE then play EVE.

So please do not compare the two.