Lt. Commander
# 1 Account Security
02-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I am just wondering if cryptic has taken in consideration Account Security.One thing i have noticed on the online games i been playing is people's accounts have been getting hacked.I know u guys are prolly really busy with fixing bugs and getting ready for launch but this will become a more common asked question as time goes on.Will there be a Account authenticator like Blizz has used with there login servers to try to prevent this and if so will we be charged anything for this extra security.I found it quite Greedy of Blizz to charge people for that authenticator as they blackmailed people to buy it,Either buy it or your account got hacked and even in some cases even with the stupid authenticator people were still getting hacked.From the start i allways said if i ever got hacked i would stop playing.About a month ago i got hacked....i honestlly have not been back to wow since.It not only is annoying but it really discourages u to know that u missed out on the time playing the game while the GM's got around to restroring your account.

If anyone knows of any info regarding this if u can kindly link i would be in your debt and id thank you in advance
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Basically with any online venture, if you get hacked, it's pretty much your fault. You clicked on something you shouldn't have, gave your account name out in public, or are harboring a trojan/keylogger on your machine. Blizzard's authenticator is just money-grabbing BS and unnecessary to those with half a brain.

It's not really Cryptic's responsibility to ensure the security of your account, it's yours. Make it as secure as possible with an abstract account name, complex password, keep your machine clean of spyware and viruses, and don't click on spam emails. Simple as that really.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Will there be a Account authenticator like Blizz has used with there login servers to try to prevent this and if so will we be charged anything for this extra security?

Sorry i forgot a question Mark in that part.

lol could u imagine if Banks worked like this tho ...

Imagine your bank account got hacked and the bank told u its your problem and u aint getting your money back that got stolen.

Its a funny world that's for sure.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 12:33 PM
I doubt it. Cryptic is focused on actually launching the game at this point and having it be successful. Like I said before, it's your responsibility to ensure the security of your account, not theirs. You don't get hacked by simply logging into the game. You get hacked by doing something stupid and compromising your own security.

Blizzard is only offering the authenticators now because of their asinine requirement introduced a few months ago of forcing everyone to switch their accounts over to Battle.net accounts, which compromised many of them. It was a major SNAFU on their part that they had to fix.

Cryptic hasn't done that.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Ahh dam.... well i hope cryptic do something at least.If they are wanting to make a good game the best way to start is to learn from other company's mistakes I am keen to know what there Policy is on this matter.I am mainly concerned how long it is going to take them to recover a account IF it is compramised and like wow will u get your account back the way it was before it got hacked? If anyone hears or reads anything id love to know thanks
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Accounts will get hacked all over the place. This game is very attractive to new MMO gamers, who are most likely to get hacked, and I'd be amazed if Cryptic gave a second thought to account security.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I am no security guro but...our account name is displayed in our chat windows. A hacker only needs our password now. Your account would be doubly safer if our account name WASN'T known.

As far as the WoW authenticator...the majority of hacks came AFTER they enforced creating a battlenet account...which made your account name what?...oh, your EMAIL address! Of course you can change your account name now, but unsure if it was always available.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlvr
Will there be a Account authenticator like Blizz has used with there login servers to try to prevent this and if so will we be charged anything for this extra security?

Sorry i forgot a question Mark in that part.

lol could u imagine if Banks worked like this tho ...

Imagine your bank account got hacked and the bank told u its your problem and u aint getting your money back that got stolen.

Its a funny world that's for sure.
Bank accounts =! MMO accounts.

The security for bank accounts is down to the banks, unless they can prove you were reckless with your PIN numbers, account details, etc.

The security for MMO accounts is entirely down to you. If you let your account get hacked, it's your own fault.

Oh yea, as I stated before, if you were reckless with your PIN number, etc, the bank wouldn't have to give you any of the money you lost back. So yea, not the best analogy you could have come up with, as it actually backs up the argument that:

Quote:
Basically with any online venture, if you get hacked, it's pretty much your fault. You clicked on something you shouldn't have, gave your account name out in public, or are harboring a trojan/keylogger on your machine.

It's not really Cryptic's responsibility to ensure the security of your account, it's yours. Make it as secure as possible with an abstract account name, complex password, keep your machine clean of spyware and viruses, and don't click on spam emails. Simple as that really.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versch View Post
I am no security guro but...our account name is displayed in our chat windows. A hacker only needs our password now. Your account would be doubly safer if our account name WASN'T known.

As far as the WoW authenticator...the majority of hacks came AFTER they enforced creating a battlenet account...which made your account name what?...oh, your EMAIL address! Of course you can change your account name now, but unsure if it was always available.
It's an artifact left over from our old cryptic accounts. If you created a new cryptic account now, you actually got an option of specifying a different one from your login name. I submitted a ticket and got my display name changed quite easily but yeah, those first few days were kinda nerve-wracking.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 01:24 PM
Blizzard uses authenticators because there were thousands of very stupid players getting hacked. They were sick of restoring accounts that the players got hacked, so they issued authenticators to lessen the workload on their staff.

STO does not need it. If YOU can't keep YOUR computer secure, then you really shouldnt be using the internet. Tough words i know, but it's the truth.