Lt. Commander
# 1 This Weekend's Down Time
02-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Whoa! You guys continue to blow away all our expectations. We had so many people playing Star Trek this weekend... It's incredible! Of course, whenever we break population records, we find more room for improvement, as well.

We had some issues this weekend that brought the servers down a couple times. This was due, in large part, to lots of people claiming items from the C-Store and an unrelated bug on the back-end. We've been working all weekend to sort these issues out and we should have some fixes rolled out later today.

We're continuing to work on server performance and stability, too. We're constantly squeezing more and more out of every little bit of processor power we have.

These fixes will go a long way in better preparing us for the inevitable rush tomorrow and this coming weekend. Thanks for bearing with us during this time.

I know this weekend was rough, but be sure that the team here at Cryptic is entirely focused on getting any issue we find resolved and fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your patience.

-Zn
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Hey Ill Let You in on a secret but shhh dont tell anyone ok? Here goes........ you will need more servers and processing power lol..
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Zinc,

Thank you for publishing something regarding the server downtime. It has indeed been a source of frustration, indeed for the players as well as the community members. Concrete statements and assurances that continued improvement is on the horizon goes a long way to quelling the concerns and fears of the population at large. Thank you again!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Well... It would be nice if you could tell us what goes wrong when the server crashes ( or during downtime) it's rather annoying to not know it its an actual crash, or if you people decided you simply wanted to down the server. Also... how come every single problem takes 2 hours to fix?
That very same copy-paste maintenance calling it a "brief" downtime is actually ****ing my otherwise logical brain off.

And I want my mission rewards darnit! That EPS conduit was so good....
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Keep up the good work Cryptic, you'll get there, we just have to be understanding and patient, whilst you guys get through the teething problems.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarka View Post
Keep up the good work Cryptic, you'll get there, we just have to be understanding and patient, whilst you guys get through the teething problems.
Yeah, you guys are doing a great job. But you might want to get some more servers, because I have a feeling there will be a whole lot more people coming to join the party tomorrow.

-avery
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 01:59 PM
what kind of servers are you guys running over at cryptic ?

just woundering what your server systems like dell racks or intell racks ?
Lt. Commander
# 8 Don't buy it
02-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Exceed your expectations??? Have you not been paying any attention to your own forums??? If THIS is the reason for your experiencing multiple hours of downtime per day, I am NOT buying it. We have been howling at you to ramp up those very expectations. We have been warning you for weeks that you are clearly underestimating the demand you will encounter.

If ANYONE played CO (I did for a few weeks before loosing interest and I was huge fan of the original paper rpg) then 100 times more (conservatively) will be playing this game! You KNOW the difference of the fan bases, we have explained it to you ad infinitum. Adjust your expectations to match reality and start doing your jobs!
Lt. Commander
# 9 Thank you
02-01-2010, 02:01 PM
We as a community most understand in the beginning there will be downtimes and such, but if you let us know exactly when they happen and if known why, this will quell the unsubs and only strenghten your relationship with your players. Also, please move the website/forums to a dedicated server, this will Quell most player frustration, information is the key, and communications of any and all information makes a happy gaming core.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
Whoa! You guys continue to blow away all our expectations. We had so many people playing Star Trek this weekend... It's incredible! Of course, whenever we break population records, we find more room for improvement, as well.

We had some issues this weekend that brought the servers down a couple times. This was due, in large part, to lots of people claiming items from the C-Store and an unrelated bug on the back-end. We've been working all weekend to sort these issues out and we should have some fixes rolled out later today.

We're continuing to work on server performance and stability, too. We're constantly squeezing more and more out of every little bit of processor power we have.

These fixes will go a long way in better preparing us for the inevitable rush tomorrow and this coming weekend. Thanks for bearing with us during this time.

I know this weekend was rough, but be sure that the team here at Cryptic is entirely focused on getting any issue we find resolved and fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your patience.

-Zn
If anyone that was around during the Beta is still buying this whole "wow you guys are just so amazing you crash us multiple times a day every single day" bull*&*^ than you need a reality check. Cryptic, thanks for the update and the explanation but it can't possibly be the truth since your experiencing the same if not greater frequency of downtime during headstart than you did in Beta, and not just this weekend, but all last week as well. Please all I ask is no more copy and paste messages, no more patronizing and overly cheery assertions about how you couldnt expect this many people to want to play a STAR TREK game. This is meant to be a constructive message that should give you an idea about the average intelligence of the people who you think are buying your messages. Give us the respect we deserve as consumers and the sole provider of the profits you feed your families with, not like sheep meant to be fooled and comforted into compliance. Thank you.