Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 07:40 AM
I think it is clear that Cryptic tripped over the Star Trek fan base speed bump and fell flat on their face leaving a long asphalt skid mark that will take months to heal. The PR I've read so far, just since yesterday, says that Cryptic just hit the top charts for failing an MMO launch. They further illustrate the failure by stating the fall-back plan to implement the queuing system to lessen the server load just to keep the boat from sinking.

This is a huge failure and it most certainly will cost dollars in subscriptions. I am going to hang in there though as I do really like the game, when I'm playing. I've done my share of venting on these forums without a doubt, but I'm not quitting just yet. Yeah, I went off about the queuing system and I know it's just going to get worse tomorrow on the actual launch day. Maybe not to much worse though because I think the majority of the players are already in the game. I mean, who wouldn't pre-order this game anyway?

So yeah, I'm hating Cryptic right now, but I am digitally kicking them in the arse right now for not letting me play. I will ride it out a bit to see what the future holds. I mean, they have to get this working, right? What are they going to do, let it flop and fold up shop? Right...
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 08:21 AM
Stop posting your complaints and letting solutions to these bugs fall down

here, this fixes your problem just look for it that simple

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=95837
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael45854
Stop posting your complaints and letting solutions to these bugs fall down

here, this fixes your problem just look for it that simple

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=95837
Stop spamming your so-called-solution until it is confirmed as a "solution". It has not yet been confirmed and thus far some say it doesn't work.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Well STO is a much more advanced graphics engine than WOW so I know some people are having issues with performance but there is no doubt a lot of server issues on Cryptic's end. If you know the difficulty of setting up an MMO you wouldn't complain for the first couple of weeks. I know we all have our limits though so if the major issues with logging in and actually being able to play are not resolved at the end of the 1st month then we havea big problem because that is when people are starting to pay for the subscription. But if you are a lifetime sub, then i understand you already paid a huge sum of $ up front.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneupcanuck View Post
... there is no doubt a lot of server issues on Cryptic's end. If you know the difficulty of setting up an MMO you wouldn't complain for the first couple of weeks...
I understand the problems with this. And as has been stated, other MMOs have had worse launches.

What disheartens me the most, is that Cryptic has experience with MMOs already. They have had more than one MMO game and they of all people should have at least handled this better or foreseen some issues ahead of time.

The fact that these things have been happening doesn't make me think that Cryptic fails at making an MMO, it makes me think that they either don't care to communicate with us, or that they have really poor foresight. Its worrying to me because after all these years Cryptic should know that communication is very very important when you make an MMO. Blizzard learned this within their first month of running an MMO and made a specific position in their company to communicate with the playerbase. Cryptic has had two previous MMOs and still doesn't do this?

They also underestimated the amount of Star Trek fans that would play the game. This worries me even more because it makes me think that even they won't be as passionate about the game as the players are.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Actually, the one clear thing is that STO greatly exceeded even Cryptic's expectations as to fan respopnse and interest in the game. Also, while this in their third MMO launch; it was only the second with this new engine, and honestly so far, there have been less issues overall (both server side and client side) then there were with the Champions Online launch (and that was just 5 months ago) - so I will say they did learn from that to a point; but I DO think they were just not expecting the level of interest and response they received; and sine NONE of their previous sub models from past games work - trying to decide exactly how much more hardware to obtan and rack space to lease because they don't wwant to spend for more capacity then they need as the game 'settles in'. (And honestly given all thge nerd rrage over trivial stuff on the regular forums in the run up to release, I can see why Cryptic was cautious with all the "This game will be EPIC FAIL and NOT STAR TREK without <insert rant here>" posts by the folks just reading interview snippets. The last thing any compony wants to do is overspend on hardware/rackspace/support if a lot of what would be neede for the launch ISN'T needed after 30 to 60 days post launch.

Again, while I don't think STO (or any Western MMO - even SW:ToR from Bioware) will ever approach WoW's subscription numbers - 1 million+ subs isn't out of reach if Cryptic is able to get a handle on the server, and manage the MMO properly over the starting few months.

But as MMO launches and headstarts go, it's hardly the worst ever; and was an improvement over the CO launch (imo); so in effect they learned something from CO and applied it; but STO is a much different 'beast'.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 01:04 PM
No right, the game is fun...no one is doubting that and in all honesty I am not mad about the problems. What is disconcerting is the lack of customer feedback to let us know what is going on and (potentially) the lack of compensation for the lost time that we paid for by preordering the game. There is no doubt that STO is fun to play and bugs are expected, but I am looking at this from a consumer standpoint. Even Blizzard refunds time lost in some cases (and I hate to keep comparing, but Blizzard has set a certain standard and other companies would do well to learn or expand on it).

That all being said I do look forward to STO's eventual liftoff, but for right now I am judging it based on consumer satisfaction.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
If you honestly think this situation is that bad - you obviously DIDN'T play WoW during the last phase of it's open beta and actual launch. What happened with the WoW servers at launch for the first two months after makes the downtime for this game trivial in comparison.
Im fed up hearing how crap wow and eve were at release and how better sto is ..wow was 5 years ago eve was 7 .
Pc's and server Technology have came a very long way in that time
But it seems cryptic have not followed that trend.