Lt. Commander
# 21
02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one. I've have seen many launches worse than this one. Give them a break for a change. If it's this way in a week, then you can complain.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsdo View Post
Opinions are like 4ssholes. Everyone has one. I've have seen many launches worse than this one. Give them a break for a change. If it's this way in a week, then you can complain.
if its like this in a month, I still wouldn't be grabbing a pitchfork and getting the nooses ready.
Sometimes, the best things in life come to those who wait.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by webejameskurk
what kind of servers are you guys running over at cryptic ?

just woundering what your server systems like dell racks or intell racks ?
Ataris of course :p
Lt. Commander
# 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinc View Post
Whoa! You guys continue to blow away all our expectations. We had so many people playing Star Trek this weekend... It's incredible! Of course, whenever we break population records, we find more room for improvement, as well.

We had some issues this weekend that brought the servers down a couple times. This was due, in large part, to lots of people claiming items from the C-Store and an unrelated bug on the back-end. We've been working all weekend to sort these issues out and we should have some fixes rolled out later today.

We're continuing to work on server performance and stability, too. We're constantly squeezing more and more out of every little bit of processor power we have.

These fixes will go a long way in better preparing us for the inevitable rush tomorrow and this coming weekend. Thanks for bearing with us during this time.

I know this weekend was rough, but be sure that the team here at Cryptic is entirely focused on getting any issue we find resolved and fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your patience.

-Zn
We got another maintenance now, however I must say, at least for me, since that little patch you had us download yesterday, the loading times when zoning were minimal, I never got kicked out, the gaming today was very smooth. I don't know if others noticed any improvement, but whatever you are doing is taking it to the right direction.

Yes, it is frustrating not being able to play a game you really like, but I am sure you'll get this to shine!
Lt. Commander
# 25
Is the current downtime you patching this up to fix it?
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gangawolf View Post
It can be summed up in one easy word: Economics.

The first few weeks STO is going to experience outages. This is because Cryptic is going to have servers/bandwidth available for what it expects to be the "steady state" number of concurrent users, plus maybe a small fudge factor (say 10% or so). If they add enough capacity for a "smooth" launch and the usage drops after a few weeks to half of that (not unusual for a MMO launch), then they are stuck with paying for *too* much capacity, thus eating into their profits.

So expect outages, downtime, queues, etc. until the 30 day free period is done. Around that time the product will become mostly "stable" as they will have finally "figured" it out. Unless it becomes the next WoW, in which case the user base keeps growing and growing and growing.... but that behemouth is almost the exception to the MMO rule.

Economics folks - pure and simple.
Perhaps they could negotiate renting the required stuff for the period.

In any case, we do need to be patient. If there is more Cryptic could do, they may not see it because they are so busy with what they are doing. Nobody is perfect.

On the other hand, we arent there with them, so we dont know. Thats why they need as much communication with us as possible.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Part of our purchase price for the pre-orders was the head start period. You expect us to pay for the service, we expect you to provide it.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-01-2010, 02:27 PM
I've sunk six hundred dollars into playing this game between my girlfriends account and my own. I'm starting to think that was a bad move. I really did think that between this being put out by Cryptic, which is in my opinion one of the best game developers out there, and the Star Trek franchise, it would be an awesome game. I've been playing, or at least attempting to play since day one of the beta. And I don't think there has been a single day I've been able to play without some huge block of downtime.
And quite frankly, the game's been kind of on the dull side. It just feels very repetative. Maybe that will improve, maybe it won't. Right now, I can't honestly say I could tell one mission apart from any other mission.
I wish I still had that money. I could have had a great big tv on which I could play games that work.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by millsdo View Post
Opinions are like 4ssholes. Everyone has one. I've have seen many launches worse than this one. Give them a break for a change. If it's this way in a week, then you can complain.
Name one...aside from WoW (a private solo endeavor ...half a decade ago), that was infrastructural...and not in-game issues?

Just one where the problem was that the game couldn't fundamentally stand on it's own....?

I just debunked a litany of people randomly spouting every MMO that came to mind... Because it's an arsehat's argument..

There is a difference between your car's air conditioner not working, and you car not being able to start.... or randomly going dead on the freeway...
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektu
Part of our purchase price for the pre-orders was the head start period. You expect us to pay for the service, we expect you to provide it.
I hope you aren't expecting uninterrupted access, because that's not what you agreed to.
If you did, then I would suggest that you manage your expectations better.