Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardoxx View Post
no, it's called SYFY
so they could have a 4 letter domain.
and most foreign people, with the growth of the internet, will be looking for latest news of scifi programs blah blah blah so will most probably think sci is sy etc
same reason they changed cif to jif.
pronunciation issues probably

Sci-Fi went to "SyFy" to be able to put garbage on that channel; because it isn't "Sci-Fi : science fiction" That now means that the shows can be completely off topic...OH WAIT SOME OF THEM ARE ALREADY!

Ex: WWE...need I say more?
SGU....aka Real Life: Space/ $ex in Space.... And I USED to be a lifetime fan of the Stargate franchise...SGU 100000% butchered it!

# 12
02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I read some where was because they couldn't copyright the term "Scifi" so they made it something they could SyFy®
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
So if they change it to CRAP youll call it that too? The channel was called Scifi for far longer than it was that goofy code... I have yet to figure out why they changed the letter... I mean Sifi would have been better if they were going to change... whats next, the novel industry going to change to book genres to Smut, Akshun, and Fantasi? lol
Some people already call it CRAP, they don't have to change their name for that one. lol

“The name Sci Fi has been associated with geeks and dysfunctional, antisocial boys in their basements with video games and stuff like that, as opposed to the general public and the female audience in particular.” -- Tim Brooks

“We spent a lot of time in the ’90s trying to distance the network from science fiction, which is largely why it’s called Sci Fi. It’s somewhat cooler and better than the name ‘Science Fiction.’ But even the name Sci Fi is limiting.” -- Tim Brooks

"When we tested this new name, the thing that we got back from our 18-to-34 techno-savvy crowd, which is quite a lot of our audience, is actually this is how you'd text it. It made us feel much cooler, much more cutting-edge, much more hip, which was kind of bang-on what we wanted to achieve communication-wise." -- David Howe, President
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zucate View Post
I read some where was because they couldn't copyright the term "Scifi" so they made it something they could SyFy®
If that were the case, then Sci-Fi would of changed their name YEARS AGO.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Quote:
So if they change it to CRAP youll call it that too? The channel was called Scifi for far longer than it was that goofy code... I have yet to figure out why they changed the letter... I mean Sifi would have been better if they were going to change... whats next, the novel industry going to change to book genres to Smut, Akshun, and Fantasi? lol
they cant call it SciFi because most of the programing there has nothing to do with SciFi, its mostly disaster flicks and wrestling now.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 07:34 PM
Quote:
Scifi, not Syfy (siffy). >.>

Havent seen the coomercials yet.
sorry to burst your bubble scifi may be spelled like Scifi but for the cable channel its SyFy pay attention to your tv once in a while