Lt. Commander
Lag is making this game unplayable at this time. Either reboot the servers or add more to the server farm.
Lt. Commander
# 2 Post launch will be worse
02-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Single Shard Setup

Any application designed to accept all input, output and processing through one system is inherently flawed, because any single anomaly, fatal error or spike in demand will cripple input, output and processing for the entire system.

Mitigating the severity across several independent systems means that should one system fail, in most instances all others continue to operate without impact.

Clustering is terrific! But it is not even acceptable in certain areas of computing. We're witnessing one of those situations.

Solution - Multiple Shards

Preface
- All shards are available to all subscribers... period.
- All "characters slots" can be relocated to a different server for free one time annually, C-Store for later transfers.
- All servers work off of the exact same core mechanics... one code trunk.
- All loot tables operate exactly the same, and "equipped" loots can transfer with character slot (bank items cannot).
- Commissioned BO's can transfer with characters slot (non-comms cannot).
- All ships can transfer with character slot.
- All non-inventory currencies can transfer with character slot.

Shards
Alpha - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Beta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Gamma - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime
Delta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime

Balancing
Casual - Exactly the combat balancing we have now... sans bug fixes... plus auto-fire for all weapons and no death penalty AND a difficulty slider.
Realistic - Difficulty closer to the start of open beta... with bug fixes... plus death penalty as it was designed from the start - NO difficulty slider.

Everything else remains the same about the two versions.

Result
- Entire subscriber base is not denied access when the server goes down... period.
- People who like a challenge can play with people who like to be challenged.
- People who want a more relaxing game experience can play with people who want a more relaxing game experience.
- One group cannot make the other group's gameplay experience less fulfilling... more happy players makes more subscribers and of course... MORE HAPPY!
- You can play on any server... if you are incapable of coordinating a server with your fleet, how can you possibly coordinate anything?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 03:58 PM
I haven't had lag since open beta...so it's on your end. Get your line checked.
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbaer
Single Shard Setup

Any application designed to accept all input, output and processing through one system is inherently flawed, because any single anomaly, fatal error or spike in demand will cripple input, output and processing for the entire system.

Mitigating the severity across several independent systems means that should one system fail, in most instances all others continue to operate without impact.

Clustering is terrific! But it is not even acceptable in certain areas of computing. We're witnessing one of those situations.

Solution - Multiple Shards

Preface
- All shards are available to all subscribers... period.
- All "characters slots" can be relocated to a different server for free one time annually, C-Store for later transfers.
- All servers work off of the exact same core mechanics... one code trunk.
- All loot tables operate exactly the same, and "equipped" loots can transfer with character slot (bank items cannot).
- Commissioned BO's can transfer with characters slot (non-comms cannot).
- All ships can transfer with character slot.
- All non-inventory currencies can transfer with character slot.

Shards
Alpha - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Beta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for EU primetime
Gamma - Casual Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime
Delta - Realistic Balancing with Scheduled Maintenance planned for US primetime

Balancing
Casual - Exactly the combat balancing we have now... sans bug fixes... plus auto-fire for all weapons and no death penalty AND a difficulty slider.
Realistic - Difficulty closer to the start of open beta... with bug fixes... plus death penalty as it was designed from the start - NO difficulty slider.

Everything else remains the same about the two versions.

Result
- Entire subscriber base is not denied access when the server goes down... period.
- People who like a challenge can play with people who like to be challenged.
- People who want a more relaxing game experience can play with people who want a more relaxing game experience.
- One group cannot make the other group's gameplay experience less fulfilling... more happy players makes more subscribers and of course... MORE HAPPY!
- You can play on any server... if you are incapable of coordinating a server with your fleet, how can you possibly coordinate anything?
fast reply.........
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanemura View Post
I haven't had lag since open beta...so it's on your end. Get your line checked.
I have cable modem and this game plays fine normally. Even this weekend. This is the first time Ive had lag so thier is a problem with the servers. Of course they added a patch that my computer might not like.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexcGarvin
I have cable modem and this game plays fine normally. Even this weekend. This is the first time Ive had lag so thier is a problem with the servers. Of course they added a patch that my computer might not like.
same here today is the first time I have experienced massive rubberbanding and lag...

also on a very fast cable modem...
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexcGarvin
Lag is making this game unplayable at this time. Either reboot the servers or add more to the server farm.
Did you update your Graphics drivers? What kind of Graphics card do you have?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I can't even load 'Sol System' lol.

Intro up until then works ok, though it's really lagging. Something's gotta change or it's off to another MMO for me, to bad really.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 04:37 PM
For the record, I just found out that Cox Internet is experiencing significant delays getting to the internet. Their site says it is for Arizona and San Diego. Do a ping -t to google or something. Personally I have packets dropping left and right. Sucks, but this one has nothing to do with STO/Cryptic.

X
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xianqu View Post
For the record, I just found out that Cox Internet is experiencing significant delays getting to the internet. Their site says it is for Arizona and San Diego. Do a ping -t to google or something. Personally I have packets dropping left and right. Sucks, but this one has nothing to do with STO/Cryptic.

X
It isn't even a Cryptic issue if your not in Arizona, or Sandy Eggo or on Cox... because the lag is your video card drivers... that 5 second delay between typing and seeing the text display is your drivers!!!

LOL, just kidding.