Lt. Commander
So, after playing the headstart, I've made my decision on if I'm going to be asking for a refund.

At the start of headstart, I was glitching to the point where if it wasnt for the fact that it was a star trek game, I probably would have abandoned the idea of buying my year membership. I have decided not to because of the consistant patching, rectifying most of the glitches for me, not to give up on this game. While I am very dissapointed with all the downtime, and all the general nerfing regarding gameplay, the "needs improvement" space and ground combat, and the absolute lack of actual freedom in each system due to their significantly small size (each system is just 1 planet, nothing more. This sucks because I was hoping to do some actual exploring, like Cryptic has been selling this game as capaple of). Lastly, the inability for this game to function with any of my controllers (i dont want to buy an xbox controller, as i hear is the only one that works).

I've decided to keep my membership because, dispite Cryptic's not learning from its previous MMORPG's, or other games in general, they have shown with each patch that they havent abandoned the game. I think this means, and hope, that they are going to keep developing this game. Make it their company's flagship game, like Blizzard and World of ********. Lets face it, star trek has the fanbase to make this a genius move.

I am under the impression, and I am hoping I'm right, that Cryptic hasn't abandoned the development of this game. That the execs are willing to allow the programmers to deliver on the game quality they promised.

I know I mentioned this already, but I need to say it again: Cryptic said we would be able to explore, and sold us a game where each system is just a small area near a planet, which is stationary. I was hoping for more than one planet, orbiting a star, which holds together a very much so moving, solar system. This broken promise really sucks. Shame on you for feeding us corporate lies.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-01-2010, 03:12 PM
You must be arrogant or new to MMOs to think that they could build an MMO on exploration that lasts more than a month.

Tired of reading these fourms complaining about the downtime on the release of an MMO (shock horror), or annoyed that the MMO actualy turned out to be an MMO and not the all singing all dancing game they had in their heads.

I seem to be the only person who is impressed with STO, maybe thats because I have played alot of other MMOs and a hell of alot are just wow clones, I have to give it to cryptic for going down their own path its harder to create than it is to copy.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 03:22 PM
I honestly expected a randomly generated planet system, perhaps a "edge of the universe" thing, where it hasn't been explored.

Then I realized this was a terrible idea..World of ********, while it has varied environments, often uses the same model for towns, caves, outposts, creatures, settings, all kinds of stuff. Hand design, though it takes time, will always trump repeated locations and creatures
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Some one should have saw that the ST community would want to do more than fly around in circles and blow everything up. I feel like a lot of us had hopes that this would be more diverse. Any SWG'ers could attest that at launch if you didn't want to fight you didn't have to and we enjoyed it just as much. There were non-combat missions, an amazing crafting system, hell if you wanted to stand around and be social they had a profession for dancing as a way to heal wounds and add buffs. This was at launch may I point out again.

It's 2010, some of us just expected something a little more ground breaking. I'm another paying customer who will remain one in expectation that once Atari and Cryptic see how much money they are gonna rake in just on the franchise this is built around I'm sure they will come out of their cubicles and start looking at the forums at what large amounts of people are looking for. I for one want more interior functionality to my ship, is their a stat out there one of our hard core trekkies can share of how much each show/movie is spent on ships and not blowing things up? lol. I'm a hybrid trekkie/mmo'er i want to live both lives in this game....
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Including the ship's interior was an idea that was set to move forward, but they cut it for some reason...

Wont be the first time that's happened to cool MMO ideas, and sometimes they make it in with patches and x-packs...so hopefully that will be the case here. I want on board missions. Maybe random ones like you have to solve a mystery of someone's death or something. Nothing too long, but something to make you realize there are people operating your ship.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I played for about five hours last night, taking a couple breaks where I logged off. No login queue, no Server Not Responding, no disconnects, no crashes.

I don't know what they did, but I'm a happy player.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-01-2010, 03:47 PM
he has a point the exploration, when im in a mission and its weird and random, its prity cool, but the way its offered to me is so bland and boreing its borderline stupid, i mean you go ito a cluster, for exploration and its nothing ? you fly into an annomoly.. how lack luster is that.

And hes right each system is simply a matter of doing the mision and never going back. you can cancel leaving maybe pick up a few annomolies, once i went round the planet and found a random klingon spawn killed them got cool loot, that was the most excitment id had in 4 missions. The fact that i had found something through exploring.. actual me driving the ship where potentially no one had gone. Tried the same in another system 30 mins of nothingness with a side of bored. so its not in place for every system.

Theres just not enough, at the moment i simply get a mission and do a mission. Im only doing them for xp to get a decent ship, 90% of the time i never get loot. I dont even pay attention to the messages, FFFFFFFF mission complete..

Its probably just been soured for me becuase im so far behind, becuase i can hardly ever log in or find a time when its not saying server not responding..
Lt. Commander
# 8 same here
02-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBuck
I played for about five hours last night, taking a couple breaks where I logged off. No login queue, no Server Not Responding, no disconnects, no crashes.

I don't know what they did, but I'm a happy player.
At least after 10 P.M EST befor that it was madding.... couldnt get on and when i did opps right in the middel of a mission server went down for Maintenace....Had to feed the poor weee Hamsters

I to would love to exsplor more and in some systems there nothing at all I exspect there will be at some later date and time we can but hope
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Well i see a start of a fun game, who knows where it will go from here but i can honestly say that this is the first Star Trek game that i have enjoyed for mone then a few days. Maybe later on there will be an add on for more expantion of exploration. For now we should all enjoy the fact that there is a Star Trek MMO that we can play buggy or not we dont have to day dream about it anymore.

Semper Fi
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-01-2010, 04:58 PM
OP, your avatar is win. Just saying.