Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
So apparently flying an Escort is the equivalent to painting a giant red bulls-eye on your ship?

There’s some debate as to whether high shield HP or high shield regen will help any, but we all know if they want your shields gone, they’re gone.

So rather than roll over and let Escorts become easy prey, why don’t we let them use what they’re supposed to use.

Every combat focused episode of DS9, the Defiant’s shields are gone in seconds. But the Ablative armor pulls them through the encounter.

Then we look at the modified Voyager, and see how the futuristic Ablative armor generators ward off the Borg like mosquitoes.

So where’s the Ablative armor?

It can be an extra layer of defense between shield and hull. Escorts would have it by default, and other ships could possibly add it by way of a console/modification/whatever they’re called. Of course, this will mean you’re sacrificing something else that’d probably be more beneficial.

I think it's a very canonical addition, rather than everyone saying "Escorts all need Cloaks!!1!"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus_Gideon
So apparently flying an Escort is the equivalent to painting a giant red bulls-eye on your ship?

There’s some debate as to whether high shield HP or high shield regen will help any, but we all know if they want your shields gone, they’re gone.

So rather than roll over and let Escorts become easy prey, why don’t we let them use what they’re supposed to use.

Every combat focused episode of DS9, the Defiant’s shields are gone in seconds. But the Ablative armor pulls them through the encounter.

Then we look at the modified Voyager, and see how the futuristic Ablative armor generators ward off the Borg like mosquitoes.

So where’s the Ablative armor?

It can be an extra layer of defense between shield and hull. Escorts would have it by default, and other ships could possibly add it by way of a console/modification/whatever they’re called. Of course, this will mean you’re sacrificing something else that’d probably be more beneficial.

I think it's a very canonical addition, rather than everyone saying "Escorts all need Cloaks!!1!"
The ablative armor on the defiant is like the ablative heat shield on the rockets we used to use during reentry. Once it's gone, it's gone and should have to cost energy credits to fix. There's our death and damage penalty.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
There is ablative armor engineering console...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summers View Post
The ablative armor on the defiant is like the ablative heat shield on the rockets we used to use during reentry. Once it's gone, it's gone and should have to cost energy credits to fix. There's our death and damage penalty.
Except we also have replicators. So it's not impossible that with enough recovery time, the armor could be repaired just like shields regenerate after a while.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalnar
There is ablative armor engineering console...
percicely, you alredy can get it
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Just recently got my Lt. Com. I saved 20,000 credits out of the mistaken assumption that I'd have to buy my new ship. So I got a Science Cruiser and an Escort Cruiser. After using both, I have to ask. Is there any reason at this point to use anything but a Science ship?

This is not a troll. Seriously, Escorts feel even squishier than Light Cruisers. What am I doing wrong?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichVR View Post
Just recently got my Lt. Com. I saved 20,000 credits out of the mistaken assumption that I'd have to buy my new ship. So I got a Science Cruiser and an Escort Cruiser. After using both, I have to ask. Is there any reason at this point to use anything but a Science ship?

This is not a troll. Seriously, Escorts feel even squishier than Light Cruisers. What am I doing wrong?
Kill things faster. This is not a troll reply, you need to knock stuff down before it can grind you under. Do some exploration missions for badges (Hromi for Lt Com), get a pair of dual heavy cannon up front, a decent phaser bank and a phaser trt on the rear. Get an EPS relay for engineering and some plasma or cannon tac consoles. Destroy +2 cruisers in one pass working alpha pattern/cannon rapid fire/tactical crew/tach beam while taking bugger all dmg.

Constantly push your CD's, tac team and rapid fire have 30 second cd's iirc so there's no big deal burning them. Evasive manouvers, emergency power to shields, brace for impact etc etc. Push as much power to weapons as possible and keep your shields stabilised. 100 to shields = waste of time, you cannot outlast most targets, but you can out damage them.

note: this advice tends to go out the window for pvp where players just burn all their defense CD's on your burst, you really need to catch the napping for this to work... ; )
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-01-2010, 07:12 PM
i have no problem flying as an engineer/escort

people went tactical because they are mislead and not enough info is about.

inherently a tactical captain does not do more damage in space.

its all about which skills you put points in and which powers you have/use

i make up for my lack of tankiness by being an engineer and having overall more tanking powers than someone else.

in the end you will have limited BO engineer slots and rank stations but plenty of tactical BO powers.

do the math. so i knew engineer needed a boost in terms of clickable powers so i chose that career.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysfunction View Post
Kill things faster. This is not a troll reply, you need to knock stuff down before it can grind you under. Do some exploration missions for badges (Hromi for Lt Com), get a pair of dual heavy cannon up front, a decent phaser bank and a phaser trt on the rear. Get an EPS relay for engineering and some plasma or cannon tac consoles. Destroy +2 cruisers in one pass working alpha pattern/cannon rapid fire/tactical crew/tach beam while taking bugger all dmg.

Constantly push your CD's, tac team and rapid fire have 30 second cd's iirc so there's no big deal burning them. Evasive manouvers, emergency power to shields, brace for impact etc etc. Push as much power to weapons as possible and keep your shields stabilised. 100 to shields = waste of time, you cannot outlast most targets, but you can out damage them.

note: this advice tends to go out the window for pvp where players just burn all their defense CD's on your burst, you really need to catch the napping for this to work... ; )
I appreciate the reply. I know a lot of what you said from using the Light Cruiser in OB and then all over again in the headstart. The EPS relay thing is annoying, because I didn't do research and since I didn't understand the use, I sold a green one recently.

I won't be PVPing any time soon, but I do intend to... eventually.

Thanks again for the info.

Good hunting.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruis.In View Post
i have no problem flying as an engineer/escort

people went tactical because they are mislead and not enough info is about.

inherently a tactical captain does not do more damage in space.

its all about which skills you put points in and which powers you have/use

i make up for my lack of tankiness by being an engineer and having overall more tanking powers than someone else.

in the end you will have limited BO engineer slots and rank stations but plenty of tactical BO powers.

do the math. so i knew engineer needed a boost in terms of clickable powers so i chose that career.
This is misleading. You can't say tactical doesn't do more damage in space then go on about how much of a tank your engineer is after you go on about the skill system. I realize you're trying to help but this information is off.

Tactical does more damage in space than any other class in the same ship. Alpha pattern is a unique skill and only skill (career specific skills that classes get) that sets them apart from others in terms of damage.
Engineers can shield tank better due to their class specific space skill. Realize that these class specific skills aren't bad on their own but require your bridge officer skills and passives through the skill point system to be as effective as they can be. Engineers in an escort especially low level won't generally have much more survivability than any other class due to the assignment arrangement. Tacticals will have similar issues in a science ship where they will be using abilities that are more support abilities or control in nature.

The only thing different in space between any character is the one unique space skill (class choice) and your choice of skill point spending. Tactical captains can tank in a cruiser or science just as well as an engineer can but they will lack that one single ability. This goes for everyone. It's going to all hinge on your investment of SP and BO skill picks that's pretty much it.

Ground based activities are the only thing in game that drasticallychange between the classes. It's a pretty cut and dry system. Tactical captains are intended to be the tanks science support and engineers are support/dps add. Keep that in mind the holy trinity like in all mmo's remains the same here on the ground.

@OP Escorts are fine for the most part. Cannons plus whatever you like out back and damage mods for what you're using in the tac slots. Keep your weapons up to date if you can with the highest you can get for each tier even if it's white trash loot. Rapid fire one and two and high yield torp skill one two and three. If you get into trouble run away click on engines preset pop an engine battery and hit evasive if it's up and try again.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:26 PM.