Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
02-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesstair View Post
Am I really going to have to break this down for you?

sar⋅casm
–noun
A form of irony in which apparent praise conceals another, scornful meaning. For example, a sarcastic remark directed at a person who consistently arrives fifteen minutes late for appointments might be, “Oh, you've arrived exactly on time!”

My OP was a sarcastic comment that cloak being able to be used to grief in a match was reasonable, and that in order to be fair each side should be able to grief similarly in a match. I suggested nothing about changing cloak in that post. By definition, it was a sarcastic post about cloak, and so by definition it was satire.
Did you read what I wrote? I didn't say you don't understand satire because your proposal was not sarcastic. I said you fail to understand satire because you honestly believe the solution to this problem is to nerf cloak. So while your post may have been sarcastic you motivation lacks sarcasm. You are dead serious that the problem is cloak and not a systemic issue with PvP death matches.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
02-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Did you read what I wrote? I didn't say you don't understand satire because your proposal was not sarcastic. I said you fail to understand satire because you honestly believe the solution to this problem is to nerf cloak. So while your post may have been sarcastic you motivation lacks sarcasm. You are dead serious that the problem is cloak and not a systemic issue with PvP death matches.
sat⋅ire
  /ˈsætaɪər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sat-ahyuhr]
–noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

How 'bout I quote a portion of what you said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
So while your post may have been sarcastic
So, my post was sarcastic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
you honestly believe the solution to this problem is to nerf cloak.
and I honestly believe the solution is something other than the position that post took. Want me to quote some more definitions?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesstair View Post
sat⋅ire
  /ˈsætaɪər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [sat-ahyuhr]
–noun
1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.

How 'bout I quote a portion of what you said?



So, my post was sarcastic...


and I honestly believe the solution is something other than the position that post took. Want me to quote some more definitions?
Oh you have the bigger epeen are you happy? You are still not a satirist, but hey believe what you want.

I'll spell it out for you though using you're own definition - "in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly". You are not a satirist because you believe the "vice" to be Cloak, while ignoring the systemic problems that lead to cloak (the "vice") being abused.

Swift decried the system with his satire not the symptom.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
02-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
Oh you have the bigger epeen are you happy? You are still not a satirist, but hey believe what you want.

I'll spell it out for you though using you're own definition - "in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly". You are not a satirist because you believe the "vice" to be Cloak, while ignoring the systemic problems that lead to cloak (the "vice") being abused.

Swift decried the system with his satire not the symptom.
I never said it was GOOD satire, only that it was satire. And yes, I'm quite content in pointing out the fact that you are exactly WRONG, despite your best attempts to wriggle out of what you said. That's not E-peen, that's good old fasioned malice.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesstair View Post
Since apparently some Klingons on this forum want cloak maintained with absolutely no changes, I would like to suggest a different change. Instead, I would request all Federation players get an "All power to shields" skill which makes them immobile and unable to attack, but they can never lose their shields, making them invincible. This way, bad Federation players have the opportunity to screw over a match they're losing until the opposing side throws it exactly the same as Klingons can do currently.
Yes. Lets cater to people because they're bad....


Cloak is very basic as is.

Any change will tilt in either direction.
Being too good if buffed, or crippling it if nerfed.

it works as intended right now and does its job well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
The op makes a decent point, and it is satire, though not of the particularly subtle or profound sort. If 2 klinks are thrown into pvp versus 5 feds, they cloak and wait for reinforcements. If 2 feds are thrown into pvp vs. 5 klinks, they die over and over and over and over and over and over.........................and over again. Oh, and they lose too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
02-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoOverdose View Post
The op makes a decent point, and it is satire, though not of the particularly subtle or profound sort. If 2 klinks are thrown into pvp versus 5 feds, they cloak and wait for reinforcements. If 2 feds are thrown into pvp vs. 5 klinks, they die over and over and over and over and over and over.........................and over again. Oh, and they lose too.

............
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
02-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoOverdose View Post
The op makes a decent point, and it is satire, though not of the particularly subtle or profound sort. If 2 klinks are thrown into pvp versus 5 feds, they cloak and wait for reinforcements. If 2 feds are thrown into pvp vs. 5 klinks, they die over and over and over and over and over and over.........................and over again. Oh, and they lose too.
And the problem here is cloak? No of course the problem is not cloak, to argue that the problem is cloak would be well - cloak-envy. The problem is systemic. There should be a waiting room before a full team can enter the map. There should be more maps that are based on objectives rather than kills, the maps should reward for more than just DPS, none of these things cannot be solved by nerfing cloak and that is what the OP previously suggested. This thread was a veiled attempt at reasserting that suggestion rather than arguing for a solution that actually solves the problems.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
02-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varrangian View Post
And the problem here is cloak? No of course the problem is not cloak, to argue that the problem is cloak would be well - cloak-envy. The problem is systemic. There should be a waiting room before a full team can enter the map. There should be more maps that are based on objectives rather than kills, the maps should reward for more than just DPS, none of these things cannot be solved by nerfing cloak and that is what the OP previously suggested. This thread was a veiled attempt at reasserting that suggestion rather than arguing for a solution that actually solves the problems.
I agree 100%, but until such a waiting room is implemented, cloak gives klingons a waiting room. Feds lack such a waiting room putting them at a disadvantage. The op's suggestion would nullify that disadvantage and give the feds a waiting room skill. Now, if waiting rooms were implemented, you wouldn't see half of the nerf klinks threads you see now.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
02-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Why not remove the cloak all together? that would make Klingons on even terms with the feds!

Oh wait it wont because we half half their shields and hp...

We have a cloak for a reason, if you dont liek waiting for the Klignons to decloak and pwn you then que for the objective based maps, you dont have to wait to be attacked in those...

Have fun
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:52 AM.