Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Nah, its a black hole people. Thats why screen is black...

If seriously, when you go to bridge you log in into a separate instance. There is what 5 bridges available right now. Every bridge is a separate server. When you go to bridge you are being sent into one of those 5 servers and your BOs load with you like if they were during ground missions they just set to load next to their bridge stations.

In other words there can be 500 captains with you on this same bridge, you just dont see them. Its not like every one of you have their own bridges. Unless of course Cryptic already made this content available similar to housing where every player gets their own little instance, which I doubt with only 1 shard and tens of thousands of players. They will have to add quite a few servers to let people have their own private instances/houses. Its a long way ahead.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 01:12 PM
at least let me see stars flying past my ship
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRew.dog201 View Post
at least let me see stars flying past my ship
Stars don't move that fast. They could probably show your ship flying past stars, though.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-01-2010, 05:46 PM
hahaha ok guys i get it thanks
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Warp space travel from your bridge would probably look like this....

which is why I don't understand people when they want to command their ship from the bridge.

Space is black... with white spots.... I am not exactly sure what grand image of space you have but... yeah...

Sector Space is suppose to give you a more interesting view of Warp Speed travel...
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Actually, bridges were so far from being fleshed out that Cryptic said that they would not be included at launch.

However, this caused a massive outpouring from the community who wanted their bridges and wanted them NAO!

So now we have "placeholder" bridges that are there but you can't do anything with. It's not because Cryptic is fail, it's because they listen to a "instant gratification" "I wantz my cheezburger nao!" community of customers and did the best they could when other things needed to be taking priority.

Some poor ******* at Cryptic who was probably already overworked and underpaid got even more piled on him to churn out these bridges for launch when they had already stated they wouldn't be there at launch.

It's a bit like the queue. People were ****ed because when the server was full, they had to keep spamming enter to get in because it would just say that the server is full and kick you back to the login.

Now that we have the queue that the community asked for, we see a bazillion threads screaming about wanting refunds because there is a queue.

Can you possibly begin to see this from Cryptic's side? Nothing they do to try to please the community actually makes the community happy. No matter what they do they are bashed, insulted, and turned on by a pack of rabid, impatient, immature children.

I personally am very grateful for what Cryptic has done.. being caught between community demand and corporate interference from Atari. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place and still have turned out a good game that will become great with time when they get the opportunity to add more functionality to the game. Like fully functional ship interiors, instead of just inanimate bridges!
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroNavigator
Nah, its a black hole people. Thats why screen is black...

If seriously, when you go to bridge you log in into a separate instance. There is what 5 bridges available right now. Every bridge is a separate server. When you go to bridge you are being sent into one of those 5 servers and your BOs load with you like if they were during ground missions they just set to load next to their bridge stations.

In other words there can be 500 captains with you on this same bridge, you just dont see them. Its not like every one of you have their own bridges. Unless of course Cryptic already made this content available similar to housing where every player gets their own little instance, which I doubt with only 1 shard and tens of thousands of players. They will have to add quite a few servers to let people have their own private instances/houses. Its a long way ahead.
Never played Champions Online I guess, eh?

The game engine generates new instances on the fly, man. They don't need an entire separate server for each tiny little instance of a bridge. And no, there are not 500 captains on the bridge with me. They are on the same bridge in 500 tiny little instances.

The devs do plan on adding more to the bridge and ship interiors. Hell, originally bridges weren't even going to be in for launch. Have a little patience.

Lt. Commander
# 18
02-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Never played Champions Online I guess, eh?

The game engine generates new instances on the fly, man. They don't need an entire separate server for each tiny little instance of a bridge. And no, there are not 500 captains on the bridge with me. They are on the same bridge in 500 tiny little instances.

The devs do plan on adding more to the bridge and ship interiors. Hell, originally bridges weren't even going to be in for launch. Have a little patience.

The point is that it is still an instance. You are no longer in sector space. Your ship is not moving. You can not see out of the view screen because you are in an instance, not moving and not in sector space(in case you missed that above).

Only 2 wasy I can see for them to change this.

1: Be able to zoom all the way back so it looks like you are looking out of your ship. If would be a cheap fix, but it would look like it is a giant viewscreen of sector space on your nav screen. Nothing else would change.

2: While on your bridge. The viewscreen can have 3 different views. A view of random space as you move at warp. A view of the 2D galaxy map with your position. A view of the system list. To make the bridge functional for travel. You could allow players to choose from the system list. Then the viewscreen changes to a random view of sector space. Then you transport to the system you want with a delay that represents the flight time. Then you have a BO or the screen tell you that you have arived at your destination. Would you like to enter the system.

The difficult part is that the ship leaves sector space when you are on your bridge. Actual sector space out of the viewscreen is not possible when you are in an instance. They would have to change the way bridges work. The ship would have to remain in sector space when you enter your bridge. Then have that small container with you and your BO and friends move in the sector space instance. With the viewscreen as forward as you move around the ship. I don't know how that would ever work with the current engine.