Lt. Commander
# 1 Activation
01-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

Just finished downloading the pre order digital delux version of the game, and I'm a little confused, I've never played an MMORPG, do i have to buy a subscription right away, or is their a month with the initial purchase?

Sorry for the noob question!

Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drester View Post
Hi all,

Just finished downloading the pre order digital delux version of the game, and I'm a little confused, I've never played an MMORPG, do i have to buy a subscription right away, or is their a month with the initial purchase?

Sorry for the noob question!

Thanks
No worries.

You need a subscription to play (ie: monthly, yearly, lifetime). However, if you got the digital deluxe edition, it comes with a 1 month subscription. You'd want to purchase a subscription before the end of February, either monthly, yearly, or lifetime.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2010, 11:33 PM
You will need to choose a subscription before you will be able to play. You will still get your free month first, but you still have to give all your Visa details etc, before you will be able to play. Other MMO's use a similar system.

With the other MMO's I have played. I signed up, chose a subscription registed and all that. Then didnít like the game so cancelled the subscription, before the end of the first month, so I donít get charged and have to keep paying. Especially cool when you pick up some of the old MMO's in the stores bargain/junk box for $10 or such like. Unfortunately they all insist on making you choose a subscription prior to play.

STO was no different, I wanted to choose a lifetime subscription but before I could do that, I had to sign up and register and choose and ongoing subscription method, before I could choose the Lifetime Subscription. Would have been a lot easier if they included the life time one on the same page as all the other subscriptions. I would hazard a guess they didnít do that as the Lifetime is for a short time and they didnít want to have change their main pages. And the FAQ's about how to do the Lifetime subs were ambiguous to say the least.

In conclusion you will have to choose an ongoing subscription before you can play, and those who sign up for life don't get their free month which is a bit rude, you never know if Cryptic realizes that they may throw us a bone, some C-credits or another character slot would be nice, but I think I am dreaming, if my other MMO experiences are anything to go by. I hope that helps. Didn't mean to write an essay. It was the only way.