Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draymon View Post
I don't think I have never not (hmm good english there) paid for a copy of any mmos I've played. Can anyone cite an example where you've played a mmo and not paid for the software. UO, EQ, ****, EQ2, SWG (/JTL), ****, MxO, Planetside, ***, WAR, LoTRO, CO, COX paid for all them. I always thought it was SOP to pay for mmo software.
Actually yes, Neocron 2, but only briefly long after most interest had died down, the original publishing company CDV went into receivership. In an effort to maintain interest the developers kept the servers going, but were not allowed to charge for subs or new copies while CDV's assets were frozen. Recently they were able to salvage the game license and stop it going into the hands of the receivers, and will begin charging full price subs again. From what I understand, it is no longer possible to set up a new account until the system is sorted out, so no point rushing off to play; unless you have an old account, in that instance you can still play for free for a while longer.

Old Neocron fans may be interested to know the publishers plan to revisit Neocron, and release a completely new version once they have released Dark Prophecy.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCaliber View Post
Nope, eve has always required a full retail key to play beyond the trial period.
It works a little different with eve your first payment is an activation payment done online you don't have to buy a retail version from a shop so in that way it's a little different.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-2o View Post
It works a little different with eve your first payment is an activation payment done online you don't have to buy a retail version from a shop so in that way it's a little different.
I have been playing eve on and off since closed beta phase 1, and should probably have chosen my words a little more carefully; never the less you are still required to purchase a full copy after any trial.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itanius View Post
Out of curiosity, which MMOs did you subscribe to where you didn't have to pay for the retail client?
EVE Online, just downloaded the client and tried it for 15 days; The Lord of the Rings Online, just downloaded it and tried it for 10 days; and pretty much every MMO I checked while I was browsing worked that way.

I had never started playing any MMO at launch before, though.

Also, it makes no sense to talk about "paying for the retail client", because you never "buy" the client, you only buy a "license" to use it following the terms of the EULA. You never get to "own" the client (you can't modify it or anything else), you just pay to use it. And if you pay a monthly fee to do so, there is no point paying up front just to "get" it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCaliber View Post
Nope, eve has always required a full retail key to play beyond the trial period.
After trial, I just had to have an active subscription to play EVE. I never had to pay for a key. After trial, my account went to "trial expired" state, I logged into it on the web site, chose a subscription plan, entered credit card info, it went to "active" state then I kept playing.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2010, 02:49 AM
I wont be getting my copy for a day or two i preordered and was in headstart so when is the grace period over anyway because i dont want to wake up and not be able to play because i havent gotten my copy yet
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-02-2010, 02:58 AM
Final Fantasy XI requires that you purchase the retail game and add a credit card just to get the free months trial