Lt. Commander
# 1 Exploration
02-02-2010, 03:46 AM
Starting off, I will say that doing an exploration tour between patrol missions or cleaning out signal contacts in a sector is a nice breather. I would like to see a little more substance attached to them aside from...

1) Dropping off 10 of (Fill in the Blank)
2) Beaming down to the Asteroid Base and figure out why no one is there
3) Beaming down to the Asteroid Base to figure out why no one is there and be attacked by (Fill in the Blank)
4) Gathering anomalous materials (nifty since it gets you upgraded equipment)
5) Scanning (Fill in the Blank) on the planet surface five times
6) Gathering evidence for the local authorities from various wrecked freighters
7) Fending off attackers from the research facility in the area

...and so on.

Some more story element that's persistent to these is what I'd really like. What's so important about the research facility? Who attacked those freighters exactly, and do you need help tracking them down? Should I lead a rescue mission to save the Asteroid Base personnel from whomever kidnapped them? Are the supplies I'm dropping off really being used for benevolent purposes?

I like the system, just would like to see it taken a step further since it seems a bit shallow at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc_foxtrot View Post
Starting off, I will say that doing an exploration tour between patrol missions or cleaning out signal contacts in a sector is a nice breather. I would like to see a little more substance attached to them aside from...

1) Dropping off 10 of (Fill in the Blank)
2) Beaming down to the Asteroid Base and figure out why no one is there
3) Beaming down to the Asteroid Base to figure out why no one is there and be attacked by (Fill in the Blank)
4) Gathering anomalous materials (nifty since it gets you upgraded equipment)
5) Scanning (Fill in the Blank) on the planet surface five times
6) Gathering evidence for the local authorities from various wrecked freighters
7) Fending off attackers from the research facility in the area

...and so on.

Some more story element that's persistent to these is what I'd really like. What's so important about the research facility? Who attacked those freighters exactly, and do you need help tracking them down? Should I lead a rescue mission to save the Asteroid Base personnel from whomever kidnapped them? Are the supplies I'm dropping off really being used for benevolent purposes?

I like the system, just would like to see it taken a step further since it seems a bit shallow at the moment.
Agree with the above.. I would also like to see unexplored sector survey missions, either as a fleet action, or group. Actually finding unexplored solar systems and having to map them, from planets / moons, to away missions on the planets for resources etc.. Would be a nice break from combat all the time. Let the Science officers stretch their legs some.

Also would like to see more sector control points, with the requirements of once you capture one, you need to supply it to maintain it (Supply mission idea from OP).

Only other suggestion Ihave is to make the Galaxy larger.. From the way it looks now, we would be able to travel from one side to the other in a matter of minutes. I suppose for gameplay reasons that is appropriate, but you loose the feeling that you are supposed to be in a large galaxy. If you guys do add more territory, think larger and more engaging if possible.. From exploring / mapping / surveying, to estbalishing a presence (Klingong, Fed, Romulan etc) to supplying it, to setting up trade routes etc...
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 04:01 AM
I do remember rumblings awhile ago (not sure if they were official or just rumors bouncing around) of the possibility of the factions being able to take control of systems near the respective borders. It sounded good to me since it kept the PvP portion segregated from the rest of the populace. Couldn't remember what the reward was. Perhaps some sort of additional questing zones?

I'm not as keen on making space totally open for conquest, but the exploration clusters like Delta Volanis, Hromi, Arucanis, etc., would be nifty to turn into zones that have a Federation or Klingon disposition in terms of quest reward depending upon who is kickin' the crap out of who in PvP at the time.