Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-02-2010, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Well, headstart was too successful... How will the game fair?

Fixed it for ya.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-02-2010, 03:41 AM
I have to say as headstarts go this wasnt that bad in all honesty.

Yes we had a lot of downtimes but i looked at it this way it was open beta mark 2 but this time we paid to keep the chars
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-02-2010, 03:42 AM
I am tempted to agree with CJohn. Although the unexpected down-times have been a major pain in the ****, it has only just begun.

However, I do wish people would stop comparing this to Eve. It's nothing like Eve. STO is fun with no pressure and quick advancement through the ranks. Eve is a alot slower with progression through skills and can sometimes get you hugely stressed about the possibility of losing a ship you've had to save up for for weeks.

And then there's Jita.........

Overall, I'm enjoying the game (when it's online). Kinda wish I hadn't played the beta though, tbh. Getting back up those ranks seems to take soooooooo long now.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-02-2010, 03:46 AM
It was no where NEAR 1/3 of the time.

As for it not being successful....

1. Did you get to play before others?
2. Did you level up before others?

Ok.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-02-2010, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1g_Dav3 View Post
Well, I'm basically referring to the amount of downtime we've had... Honestly, I feel conned, I mainly pre-ordered for the Headstart and suffice it to say, I managed maybe 1/3 of the time I could have done if the servers where actually up and running?.
Conned? Really? I don't agree.

Quote:
I mean, pretty much all of the downtime was in EU time, and before someone says they have to take the servers down at some time... If it's going to be daily, 2 times a night or something for upto 3 hours, what's the point in playing? Besides, most of it was 'unexpected'

Now I'm not an expert, but I've played an MMO for over 7 years, close to 8, and basically, their downtime hardly existed! In all of that time, there has only been one time where I spent half an hour away for downtime, their updates took maybe, 10 minutes at max? .
You've been playing MMO's for 8 years and yet can't remember the previous MMO's downtime? You must have started playing each MMO after about 6 months of launch then. Either that or your looking at the past through "rose tinted glasses".

Quote:
Now, I'm not going to say I'm leaving, but if this continues, I don't see myself playing the game after the first month... And I doubt I'm alone.
To each their own.

Quote:
This isn't the first MMO by Cryptic, so really, has there been any need for all of this downtime? There's a post saying we've 'blown all expectations', so, what happened to the exprience of multiple other games? And is it that hard to see how many pre-orders have been taken? Or keys activated?

I just hope they sort this, and quickly, because as for the headstart, I feel pretty conned so far. I just hope my Borg bridge officer is right... Of which I may add, I haven't recieved the code for...
Need for downtime? Yes. Sony have launched more than one MMO and it had downtime at EQ2's launch. And did people scream on the Sony forums about downtime and how SOE should know better after previously releasing an MMO? Yep.

Expectations can be hyped far beyond what is being offered. That is not the fault of the service provider. Customers need to keep their expectations a little closer to reality.

As for sorting it, its in Cryptics best interest to do so and they will do so. These things just take time to sort out. We need to exhibit a little patience.

Lastly, keep in mind that "success" is word that is often banded around and can mean many different things. In the MMO industry success is often defined when an MMO company actually ends up turning a profit over the overheads. Considering that this game has yet to begin charging people, no one can accurately say right now that the game is a financial success or a failure.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-02-2010, 03:54 AM
I would have to semi agree, in terms of bugs and major flaws in the game criptic have been on the ball sorting them out. But i have not been able to get a good session in at all during the headstart, the server keeps crashing, ill disconnect and then have to sit in a 20 min queue. Now thats not the end of the world in all fairness and from a technical point of view its what headstart is for.... but i would have liked more levels before release.

No point in moaning about it now though lets kick some ass.
Lt. Commander
Like really, I feel bad cause i was harsed last week on a thread claiming that STO isnt worth it. Now that ive actually played, and i do mean this litteraly, HALF THE **** THAT CAME OUT OF PPLS MOUTHS were due to them either a) trolling (you working for Blizzard dudes?) b) being lil punk babies or c) had some genuine critizim.

The load screens are fine, im barly over the bare minium for processor and grapich requirements. **** i havnt even had a load screen take more then 5-8 seconds to load.

So what if there's no interiors? The guy that posted saying he's leaving cause there was no interiors was an idiot who, at the same time, said it was pointless to have risa and Sol station cause there was nothing to do...really? What would you do on your own ship then if it had interiors and no one came to your ship to talk to you? Cry some more i bet. (Though i got to admit it would be awesome to have to fight off a baording party like it showed in the begining teaser trailers.)

The depth is there, and you can tell there is some real craftsmenship cryptic put into this. The way you travel from system, where you can go, and being able to see everyone else in system (though they have to be in the same instance) is ****ing great! shows there's a real game out there you know? Not to mention the episodes do add up...

The only down part about this is that it is launch time. There are still bugs, (it was a short Beta testing period anyways) PVP is just getting up, and not all the speices you can play are up. The servers are still having issues though they are the normal ones you get with a growing community.

I say good job DEv's, Now can you make it ten bucks a month to play??
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-02-2010, 04:04 AM
O and one other small issue that isnt a biggy...

<------------------------ Wheres the archer class? or the Tahoe?? Everyone was drolling over that one too

(Yes its what the arrow is pointing to and yes it is my avatar)..
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Quote:
I don't really call 40 minutes in, we have an hour off, 20 minutes 2 hours later, which isn't bad, but proves stability is a problem, then a 2 hour block of it 2 hours after that one, and I believe there was another while I was asleep, then maintenance at 11 - 1 GMT, which is about the only one in the day I agree with, then a nice 3 hour one later on... Then a downtime last night as well... In total, there's been something like 10 hours... And prodominantly in EU times... An hour, maybe 2 is acceptable in my mind, at say, 11 - 1 GMT, which isn't really doing anyone harm, even on weekends it's acceptable.

I know Eve has an hour a day, which is fine, but when the serves disconnect for fun, and then they whack on 3 hours of downtime... It's a little past it...
Ok so you been unlucky as you always seem to play when downtime is on. For whatever reason.

Servers don't disconnect "for fun"

Headstart was four days. That is 96 hours. By your own admission it has been down a total of about 10 hours. That means it has been up for 86 hours. Enough time to get to Admiral.

So yeah, I still say it wasn't bad. At all. It was pretty good in fact.

Seriously if you just added up your own hours downtime figures you would realise that. Less drama I reckon.

Your also ok with EvE being down an hour a day = 4 hours. So for a headstart it has gone over your "I'm ok with this" amount by 6 hours.

Again. It's been good.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-02-2010, 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinsec View Post
You and I both know that it isn't fun :p

Hopefully, the downtime now will make the game more stable in the future. MMOs are frequently down around the time of launch for both the game and expansions, and for large content patches.
Sadly, the only thing that's going to make the game more stable in the future will be when not so many people are trying to play.