Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 31
02-02-2010, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemane0 View Post
Would be nice if that was the case but i assume its either this or higher monthly subs and i would sooner have this and have a chance to earn points ingame then higher monthlies. Granted i am not very competitive so for the time being it won't affect me much as long as t hey crank out as much low/mid level stuff at the store as they do the elite stuff
That's also part the problem here..

too many people assuming they are getting a good deal.


The only thing i can say to you my friend is, "Caveat Emptor!"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 32
02-02-2010, 05:07 AM
$3.50 x 1,000,000 players = $3,500,000.

Yup, chicken feed.

Respecs will be $12.50 since that's the price on Champs' store. Wouldn't have to have respecs if they stood with the No Skill Point Cap (the game was designed to have no skill point cap) but the money was too tempting. I would have gone for the money myself. It ruined the unique concept they had though.

In game memorabilia wil be more than that, and they're sure to have it.

This game will have 3-8 million subscribers in the first month. They may not keep all of them, but this game is a cash cow for the moment. If they have 8 million subs, I estimate they will lose 5 million within the first 3 months. And another 2 million within 6 months. But they may actually retain a million subs for quite some time. Perhaps a year. Even half a million or 300,000 would be a major victory. Heck, it's a major victory already.

And it's a shell of a game. Not complete by any means. Cryptic stepped in the sheehat by sheer luck.

I'm happy for the collectors, the fans who will dish out hundreds of dollars for toys in the C store. No sarcasm intended. They're collectors. Who am I to deny them their fun?

But it's not good for gaming in general. If this game didn't have the Star Trek Brand on it, it wouldn't get 50,000 subs at launch, and it would quickly fail. As it stands, the game is a great financial success, but as a game it comes way, way short. As a game it fails. As a game it may have succeeded if a 1st rate developer designed it. A third rate developer spending 18 months on an MMO produced a 4th rate game.

What luck.

As for me, I'll be using the ambassador title Unfortunately (in an odd way), the space combat part is rather well made and complex, making Space PvP quite interesting. If they add better areas to fight in, an actual reason to fight, and make it a lot like open RvR in certain Deep Space sectors, whatever, they will have me for a while too

They have to think of a way to add real content, not the garbage they have now, pretty quickly to keep the bulk of their new subscibers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 33
02-02-2010, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpockOn
That's also part the problem here..

too many people assuming they are getting a good deal.


The only thing i can say to you my friend is, "Caveat Emptor!"
Thats pretty much for every new Mmorpg but Wow, my friend, and if Blizzards new MMo doesn't adhere to a similar design I will be very surprised. Heck, i think Runes of Magic managed to add a new race with starting zones and quests from micros...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 34
02-02-2010, 05:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemane0 View Post
People are apparently up in arms over Fed Klingons and Ferengi being added to the c-store for between 3.50- 4
It's $1 for Ferengi and $3 for Klingon. Surely dividing by 0.8 can't be that difficult while sitting at a computer.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 35
02-02-2010, 05:18 AM
I've seriously never seen so much complaining in all my years as a gamer for such a paltry sum of money. These are cosmetic items. I expect most cosmetic items to be released in a patch, however these are rarities in the federation. I think if you're gonna have a micro transaction these two races make sense.

Do I like micro transactions, not really. Is the price absurd, also not really.

If you enjoy the game, then play it, if not then adios. I don't know why people say the game isn't complete? Sure it's got a ways to go, but almost every MMO I've ever played (and there's been quite a few) has started with meager beginnings, server issues, bugs galore. Development on a single player game isn't easy, much less an MMO.

What you have to ask yourself is this: "is the core gameplay fun and promising?"

I think so, so I'll stick with it. And if these 1$ micro transactions are the worst thing that happens, then so be it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 36
02-02-2010, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lloyd
$3.50 x 1,000,000 players = $3,500,000.

Yup, chicken feed.

Respecs will be $12.50 since that's the price on Champs store. Wouldn't have to have respecs if they stood with the No Skill Point Cap (the game was designed to have no skill cap) but the money was too tempting. I would have gone for the money myself. It ruined the unique concept they had though.

In game memorabilia wil be more than that, and they're sure to have it.

This game will have 3-8 million subscribers in the first month. They may not keep all of them, but this game is a cash cow for the moment. If they have 8 million subs, I estimate they will lose 5 million within the first 3 months. And another 2 million within 6 months. But they may actually retain a million subs for quite some time. Perhaps a year. Even half a million or 300,000 would be a major victory. Heck, it's a major victory already.

And it's a shell of a game. Not complete by any means. Cryptic stepped in the sheehat by sheer luck.

I'm happy for the collectors, the fans who will dish out hundreds of dollars for toys in the C store. No sarcasm intended. They're collectors. Who am I to deny them their fun?

But it's not good for gaming in general. If this game didn't have the Star Trek Brand on it, it wouldn't get 50,000 subs at launch, and it would quickly fail. As it stands, the game is a great financial success, but as a game it comes way, way short. As a game it fails. As a game it may have succeeded if a 1st rate developer designed it. A third rate developer spending 18 months on an MMO produced a 4th rate game.

What luck.
Yep they "might" rake in the cash here but the $4.50 for both races is a week without a coffee for me and then its back to the java. Skip 2 weeks of coffee for a 12 quest pack on Sigma Iotia II (with gangster clothes included) you bet!.

Yes it is sad that they will be "milking" us to some extent but i am pretty sure that redguardless of how much my they can make t hey will still have to answer to someone about the type of content they have t o offer for free and in expansions
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 37
02-02-2010, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ealdwulf
I've seriously never seen so much complaining in all my years as a gamer for such a paltry sum of money. These are cosmetic items. I expect most cosmetic items to be released in a patch, however these are rarities in the federation. I think if you're gonna have a micro transaction these two races make sense.

Do I like micro transactions, not really. Is the price absurd, also not really.

If you enjoy the game, then play it, if not then adios. I don't know why people say the game isn't complete? Sure it's got a ways to go, but almost every MMO I've ever played (and there's been quite a few) has started with meager beginnings, server issues, bugs galore. Development on a single player game isn't easy, much less an MMO.

What you have to ask yourself is this: "is the core gameplay fun and promising?"

I think so, so I'll stick with it. And if these 1$ micro transactions are the worst thing that happens, then so be it.
I think Klingons were intended to be similar to monster play in Lotro and that not alot of thought went into explaining this to anyone (Please keep in mind i have only been around since open beta). And to some extent i can see their reasoning, but only some. My only hope is that they make good by adding some good Klingon PVE for free before selling it in the Store (assuming thats the way they are going for some content). They may have some of us Trek fans by the balls here but i honestly believe that the nature of the franchise has them by the short and curlys as well.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:43 AM.