Lt. Commander
Dear Cryptic,

I began playing in Open Beta. There were a lot of bugs. That's to be expected, so I smiled and filed away a huge number and thought "ah well, we finally have a Star Trek MMO, instead of complaining I just try to help make it better". Most were fixed, in the end, at least those I was aware of, and kudos to Cryptic for that.

When Open Beta began we had a LOT of difficulty zoning from one instance to the other. The game disconnecting us from the server. I never had any trouble logging in, just "zoning". Apparently this was fixed about a week before end of Beta, which I thought was cool. There was even a message from Dev saying Cryptic bought new servers and everything. I thought the problem was solved for good. Let Cryptic keep adding new content and fix the remaining in-game bugs, I'm cool with that.

Now, since Pre-star and now "regular" playing, I can't even log in. When I finally can, I can't even get past the loading screen, server disconnects. If I get past that, every time I zone I get disconnected from the server.

Wasn't this supposed to be fixed?!

I really like this game. I want it to work. I work in the videogame industry myself, and know that some bugs are damned hard to fix. If they don't break the game, I can live with a certain (although limited) amount of those.

But this is pretty basic. I can't even... get in. I understand that Star Trek has an enormous following. What Trek fan doesn't want to try the MMO? But there are bugs and there is infrastructure. Notwithstanding all the goodwill, all the patience, and the willingness to "help fix", a line must be drawn somewhere. I find it rather hard to believe that the server issue is so damned hard to solve. Can't be easy, or it would already have been fixed, but if it's "that" hard, maybe you shouldn't have opened the game to the public officially at this point.

I say it again: I really want this game to succeed. I even bought a Lifetime subscription, that's how much I want it. But the whole process of trying to get in is trying even my patience, and I'm an extremely patient guy. I don't want you to lose customers -- I want people to play with, after all.

Cryptic, please fix those servers once and for all. The problem can't possibly be unsolvable, can it?
At the very least address the issue in the forums, tell us what's being done. After all, let's not forget this is a business and we're paying customers.

Thank you for listening.
Cheers,
Nuno
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-02-2010, 06:41 AM
This sounds like a client side issue and not a server issue. I'm having absolutely no problems, and many people I know are having absolutely none as well. You may need to check your settings, change security, open ports, enable UPnP or download some new NIC drivers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-02-2010, 06:42 AM
You need to upgrade from your 28.8 modem. I get in every time and have consistently throughout the OB minus the few mad server reopen dashes and obvious downtime denials.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
You're outside the U.S.

This is either a problem with your ISP, the delay caused by your distance, or you may be using a proxy.

The issues you face are connection related, not game related. Aside from the occasional server que or "emergency maintenance" I've always been able to play when I want to and for as long as I want to with 0 disconnects.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-02-2010, 06:44 AM
When I got a new laptop, I had the same problem with a different MMO I played for years. And 10 million plus people were able to play, so I knew it wasn't the server.

Turns out that the NIC was defaulting to "energy saving" mode, where it would sleep after not getting traffic, etc. Apparently, this "feature" was engaging and making me disconnect.

So...check the properties of your network card. Disable anything that smacks of power saving, throttling or sleeping (it's going to vary, based on the card)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-02-2010, 07:03 AM
During headstart there were some euro's having issues. If you are connecting through the euro proxy option in the launcher try unchecking that option. If it isn't checked try checking the option.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-02-2010, 07:10 AM
hmm i thought it was much mroe stable tbh
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Definitely a personal problem. I was just fine a few minutes ago.