Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 death penalty ideas
02-02-2010, 07:37 AM
this thread is for ideas for a death penalty and disscussion.
my idea,
crew deaths along with ship damage. if you die your crew dies off a little at a time you replace them at a starbase similiar to the orginal sto idea. but if you survive i.e. ship dose not explode you can fly back to a star base and fix your ship/buy new crew. the crew can repair the ship but paying a a space dock would instant fix your ship. also maybe weapon loss if the ship explodes you may randomly lose a weapon or ship component but i would be replaced by a basic component unlike in eve once its gone you have to buy a replacement no give back of some just an idea.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKyle
this thread is for ideas for a death penalty and disscussion.
my idea,
crew deaths along with ship damage. if you die your crew dies off a little at a time you replace them at a starbase similiar to the orginal sto idea. but if you survive i.e. ship dose not explode you can fly back to a star base and fix your ship/buy new crew. the crew can repair the ship but paying a a space dock would instant fix your ship. also maybe weapon loss if the ship explodes you may randomly lose a weapon or ship component but i would be replaced by a basic component unlike in eve once its gone you have to buy a replacement no give back of some just an idea.
All great ideas.

/signed



p.s. prepare for the attack of the killer bears!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Sounds interesting, The crew loss idea I was really interested in because it would force you to stop fighting but they apparently scrapped the idea.

I'm hoping we can get something like your idea or the original idea back in the game soon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKyle
this thread is for ideas for a death penalty and disscussion.
my idea,
crew deaths along with ship damage. if you die your crew dies off a little at a time you replace them at a starbase similiar to the orginal sto idea. but if you survive i.e. ship dose not explode you can fly back to a star base and fix your ship/buy new crew. the crew can repair the ship but paying a a space dock would instant fix your ship. also maybe weapon loss if the ship explodes you may randomly lose a weapon or ship component but i would be replaced by a basic component unlike in eve once its gone you have to buy a replacement no give back of some just an idea.

So, you find a nice shiny new weapon and equip it, and can't wait to test it out. You decide to jump into an Enemy Contact encounter, and are going to give those Klingons the what-for.

But before you can even finish loading, you're destroyed, because some other captains decided to drag a couple of enemy flagships right over the spawn point and then they left right as you were coming in.

Now your nice new shiny weapon gets replaced with a Mk I white piece of junk.


Yeah...sounds like a lot of fun. And this is making my gameplay experience more enjoyable how exactly?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-02-2010, 07:46 AM
And do YOU have a good reason WHY there should be a death penalty, other than just ****ing people off ? You know the game mechanics doesn't really call for one, as opposed to - say - Keep battles in **** where death penalties (temporary debuff) permitted one side to bring about a decision.

I don't see how a death penalty would *improve* the game and the players' gaming experience. So please - why ?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulan78 View Post
All great ideas.

/signed



p.s. prepare for the attack of the killer bears!
You were right,

How does the DP improve gameplay, because it adds longevity. Right now you cannot lose in combat no matter what. With a DP you can lose.

It's not a game without winners and losers
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0R0N
And do YOU have a good reason WHY there should be a death penalty, other than just ****ing people off ? You know the game mechanics doesn't really call for one, as opposed to - say - Keep battles in **** where death penalties (temporary debuff) permitted one side to bring about a decision.

I don't see how a death penalty would *improve* the game and the players' gaming experience. So please - why ?
it would 1. get rid of those people who ram and die pull bs i run into. those people who ram into a group of enemys and pull them all to your position and screw you over. 2. it gives you a sence of realisim like in startrek people died in the movies including spock. 3. the weapon thing was an idea not a nesecity it would not always be required. it could be change so that if the weapon was destroyed and you respawn with the mk 1 item you go back to space dock and it gets re equiped just ideas.
3. adds stratagey to the game alowing team work to help players who have lost crew in fleet engagments.
all ideas
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-02-2010, 08:25 AM
A thoughtful death penalty would get rid of the "kamikaze" pilots. But you don't want it to slow play too much.

Maybe more along these lines?:

ships do not re-spawn with full health

ships get a de-buff to crew regen on death & ship re-spawns with minimal crew

DPS is reduced on all targets the captain has hit by a certain percentage making it difficult to kamikaze a target for loot. If you die, why should you get a good chance at loot?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidpunk View Post
Right now you cannot lose in combat no matter what. With a DP you can lose.
If you can't lose, a DP is meaningless as you don't die in the first place...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Alright, here’s just a few ideas, or a string of them at least.

No idea if such things could or would be implemented into the game, but I would like some opinions at the very least.

Firstly I would like to say that a space vessel is no small thing, I mean they are the size towns and cities right? So the loss of such a huge vessel could potentially be catastrophic. It doesn’t feel right that a player merely respawns.

One idea I had is that prior to a ship being destroyed we can assume the captain safely escapes with a portion of their crew.

They return to a station and are supplied with the next ship below their class. After all why would Starfleet want to give a big spanky new space vessel to a captain that just got the last one blown up?

Players would still receive their old weapons and mods that they previously had however, but in order for the player to get their better ship back they would have to earn it as they had previously.

If your too attached to your space vessel and don’t want it to be replaced with something smaller well… Don’t get it destroyed!

Something else I thought about that may or may not be possible was that perhaps escaped crews from destroyed ships could find themselves stranded on a planet, needing rescue from allied commanders who would get points for doing such a task.

Or another thought I had was that after battles space vessels instead of being destroyed could need ‘tractor beaming’ by a friendly player to a star-port for repairs and such, yet again the player helping out the stricken ship would receive some sort of points in return for doing this, essentially just another mission.

What I’m saying is, make ship loss a part of the game, not just a respawn!

Please don’t get angry at this post. It’s not necessary.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:30 PM.